General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chakasmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with an over-protective chow chow

Post by chakasmom »

Hi,

I am asking for advice. My chow chow Moomba is extremely protective of me towards other people, which is great in the sense that I feel very safe with her but...in my home she does not want anyone to come in. If someone comes in (like a date or friend) it is just to pick me up and we leave. If a workman comes in I put her in another room. What she does, is growl, circle them and carry on. I have been able to navigate this so far but now my dad is coming into town to stay with me for a couple days. He has met her a couple times and just loves her to pieces as he tries to win over her heart. She will continually growl at him but wags her tail & kisses him at the same time and lets him pet her. She has only met him in his home and she guards the room I stay in there. He and my mom are not allowed in it...yeesh!

So now I am wondering how this is going to go down. Any advice on things I can do to circumvent the problems I suspect I will have with her in this situation?

Thanks,
cher
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help with an over-protective chow chow

Post by Loha'sDad »

There are times that I "tether" Loha to a piece of furniture (using his leash) inside the house to absolutely avoid any problems with guests. That way he can remain a "part of the action" yet is not a risk. He seems totally happy with this arrangement. Just make sure your chow cannot drag the object tethered to and that the tether can't break free.

Loha's Dad
chakasmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chakasmom »

Thank you for responding Loha's dad. The problem is my dad will be actually staying in my small SF condo for 2 days with us. I do discipline Moomba but I'd like to know the appropriate way to handle her acting up with someone staying in what she thinks is a home she owns.
Mountaindogs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mountaindogs »

Hi chakasmom,
I can appreciate your over-protective chow chow... as most of us can. My Smokey is the same way both at our home and when we are out. And he is very shy and quite reserved. I'm sure that there are some official training tips for this situation. I do not profess to be a trainer. But I have done one thing with Smokey over the past couple of months to help with this situation. First of all... I have taught him the word "friend". Whenever somebody new comes up to us either in public, at the dog park or into our house and he is timid and or protective of me (He usually does not like it when these people come up to him), I squat next to him and tell him that this is a friend. I then have the person come up to us as well and I either shake their hand or touch them. I repeat the word "friend" several times. He has gotten to the point that he knows right away what that word means and he relaxes. It took me about a month of doing this with him every day, but he is comfortable with it. He now will relax as soon as I say the word. And he just today went up and gave the "friend" that I introduced him to a kiss on the hand as soon as I mentioned the word. Not sure if it is something that you could teach him in time for your father but certainly over time you could. These dogs are such smart creatures... you could teach your Moomba rather quickly. Smokey is only two and just beginning to sense my moods. My other two chows eventually got so intuned to me that they knew when somebody who was ok came to our house and when somebody was at the door that they needed to be concerned about. But that came with age and maturity on their parts.

Good luck.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I can understand your problem and I am afraid I do not have any real suggestions to make.

However, when Maisie came to live with us when she was 5 months old - she is now 8 and a half months old - for severqal weeks she soofed and grumbled at Fred. She was fine with me but for some reason was not comfortable with Fred. whether it was because he was a man we do not know. Anyway, he just ignored her and left it up to her to approach him which, eventually she did and now she loves him.

Perhaps it might be an idea if your father just ignores your chow and just "watches his back", so to speak. :lol:

Alternatively, maybe he could take over the feeding of her - not making any great overtures to her but just dishing out her dinner and putting it down for her.

Mind you, knowing how stubborn and aloof our chow chows can be, she might very well decide not to eat it!! :mrgreen:

Sorry I cannot be any more help.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

In the past I have just continued to formally introduce the dog and the stranger in question repeatedly until both achieved some sort of comfort level. By repeatedly having the stranger pet her with me, address her with me, and even have the stranger offer her a treat with my supervision. After years of doing this, here is how my dog behaves

If a neighbor came to visit, my dog would simply plant herself right next to the stranger, being sure to be in-between me and the stranger. Stranger gets up, dog gets up. Stranger moves seating, dog does so too. Not obnoxiously, just a noticable, quiet interest.

When a stranger says "boy she really likes me". Thats when I know I have trained her right. The stranger is not afraid, and the dog is not behaving inappropriately (growling and such).

Not tooting my own horn, just fyi.
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
West Springfield, VA 22152
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
Nickname: H.R. pup-n-stuff
chakasmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chakasmom »

Thank you everyone! These are really wonderful suggestions. I have been doing some of these tips already but I can see from all your posts that I have not been vigilant enough and staying on top of her. Moomba is a tough cookie. She is definitely a "growly girl". If she does not like someone for whatever reason she will do a deep growl under her breath. I usually yank her chain and tell her no...maybe that's the wrong thing to do? Sometimes I do kneel down with her and tell her calmly that the person is fine. I guess I have tried several different things. My last chow girl never ever growled so I am in new territory with this one. She is 2 years old.

Anyway, I will report back after the visit and let you all know how things worked. Once again, thank you all for taking the time to offer suggestions.

Best,
cher
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I would suggest that maybe you introduce your father to Moomba in a nuetral location like a park or somewhere away from your house. Let him give her some treats and get use to him. Maybe also have him be the one that feeds her while he is there???

Good luck,
Matt
No matter where you go, there you are.
cskalski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cskalski »

chakasmom wrote:Thank you everyone! These are really wonderful suggestions. I have been doing some of these tips already but I can see from all your posts that I have not been vigilant enough and staying on top of her. Moomba is a tough cookie. She is definitely a "growly girl". If she does not like someone for whatever reason she will do a deep growl under her breath. I usually yank her chain and tell her no...maybe that's the wrong thing to do? Sometimes I do kneel down with her and tell her calmly that the person is fine. I guess I have tried several different things. My last chow girl never ever growled so I am in new territory with this one. She is 2 years old.

Anyway, I will report back after the visit and let you all know how things worked. Once again, thank you all for taking the time to offer suggestions.

Best,
cher
When I adopted my chow-pup she was almost two, and that seemed to be a great age for her to still pick up good habits. No one was allowed to touch ANYWHERE on her except her head. All strangers got a growl, dog-park type places were on the no-no list due to her unpredictable behavior, and I had to watch her every minute, especially the first spring and summer we had her. She was an escape artist, growling cat chaser with an obstinate attitude.
It took me a year to get her under control. I just kept repeating good habits, used the carrot or the stick method, and by the time she turned three I could trust her on the leash, she stopped trying to escape, and tolerated other dogs well.
The cat chasing was never eliminated, and continues to be her favorite activity. Most books on chows sum it up by saying "Chow Chows have a tendency to mistake common house cats as prey".
Well, I don't think there is any "mistake". To Chow Chows house cats ARE PREY!!!! So, I just have to be careful. (She enjoys the chase, and has NEVER bit anyone, including cats).

Now that she is 15 years old, a simple whine and perky ears are now her only reaction to cats.
Chris A Skalski
5804 Royal Ridge Drive
West Springfield, VA 22152
cskalski@cox.net
Lacky, 15, female
Nickname: H.R. pup-n-stuff
chakasmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chakasmom »

Chris, so wonderful your chow is now 15. I know Moomba will mellow with age but she is definitely now in her terrible 2s. And yes, I would love to have a cat but won't take the chance since I cannot monitor her 24/7 and my place is too small to put them in different rooms all the time. Bummer.

Thanks Matt, my plan is exactly as you said. I am going to bring Moomba out to my Dad at the car when he arrives, have him give her some treats and then go in together and have him do the feeding.

Thank you!
chakasmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chakasmom »

Hello,

Just wanted to report back after my dad's visit. Moomba was an absolute angel. I took many of your suggestions, let her meet my dad again in a neutral location then went up to my condo, had him give her plenty of treats, showed her that he was someone special to me so not be afraid.

She was unbelievable. Very affectionate to my dad and in fact we received bad news of a death in the family Sunday night. She sensed something was wrong and spent that entire night going back and forth between the 2 bedrooms checking on both of us. Resting her little head either on us or on the edge of the beds for a moment to make sure all was ok then went back to her bed. She did this all night long.

I am so fortunate to have her in my life.

Thanks again to everyone.

Moomba & Chaka's mom