Male vs Female Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Male vs Female Chow

Post by SoonLee »

I would like some opinions. Which is better and what are the differences between having a female Chow vs a male Chow. I have had 3 male chows.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Male vs Female Chow

Post by Victory »

Well, if you've had three males you know about them, arrogant, independent, stubborn, sometimes affectionate and sometimes not, protective, loyal, not too playful. From what I've seen with my girl and heard from the others, they are arrogant, independent, stubborn, usually affectionate, but sometimes not, protective, loyal and very playful. They are spunky and most have a lot of energy, they normally run circles around the boys. If I'm worried about which one will get into something they shouldn't faster, it's my girl Firesong, even though she is five years older than Dreamdancer she's the first to steal things, the first to run for the door, the first to notice and chase the squirels, rabbits, birds, airplanes, other dogs, etc. She's the first to come when she hears plastic rattling, (all plastic contains things for chows don't you know) At 8 she still plays with her squeaky toys, (Dreamdancer out grew them when he was a year old), has to know where I am at all times and is generally a little love bug. I never owned a female chow before her, I had 4 males first, but you know I'm glad I have her, she's my little baboon face girl! (that's a compliment I think baboons are adorable).

:D Hope this helps, if you want more stories on the girls, search on Pumpkin, Pekoe, Millie and Mabel, and Khana, add Lily to that list too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

chowling1964 wrote:stay with the males...less trouble and no drama.
Yeah but what would life be without some trouble and drama? Boring!
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I agree with what Victory said about females.

However, my first chow was a male and there was a lot more drama with him than with Tippsy. And Cinder was also pretty aggressive. But I have found that males are more "snuggly" than females.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Well I have only ever had a female so nothing to compair with except the general description of chows some of which Bramble has read and some she skipped because of the big words. She is affectionate, opionated, stubborn, 90% deaf most of the time, completely doolally, kissy and cuddly, likes to sit on my knee if possible and is the love of my life. (Sorry DH) The males that I have met seem more sedate but perhaps they just like to appear more dignified in company Bramble doesn't give a damn about dignity she lives life to the full at full speed.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

It is hard to say, Yoshi is a purebred and he is they typical chow, stubborn, arrogant but affectionate when he feels like, it. Maxine is a mix and she is always on the move, more affectionate. Maxwell my old chow was a mix and he was stuborn at times but more affectionate than Yoshi. I think a lot of it is just personality of the dog. When you meet the chow that is right for you, you will know it.

David
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

chowling1964 wrote:lower vet. bills = boring.. ok, if you say so otherwise.
My girl has cost me nothing but the norm for her shots and heartguard for the past seven years. It probably cost more for her spay then the boy's neutering but the rescue did it, so it came under the cost of adopting her which was the same as the boys I adobted from the same place. Other than having her teeth cleaned she's never been to the vet for anything else but shots and heartworm tests. She has no allergies, (four of my five males did/do) she has a cast iron stomach, (3 of the males had/have "sensitive" stomachs).

Get your girl spayed before she's a year old and there are very few problems I've seen. It's the ones who are spayed later and have gone into at least one heat that have problems.
Thank you SweetPea!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We have one of each. Both have good/not-so-good attributes. Somedays we prefer one, others days, not so much... Generalizations are just that, the fur kid you pick will have a personality and you will interact and love/hate that about said furkids. Just get the one in the litter you like or better yet, that likes you!!!!
lisharts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lisharts »

As we were talking about dogs the other day both my boyfriend and I discovered we had only owned females in the past, and when we get one together we will most likely get a female again. So this discussion is quite interesting as I'd been curious about the difference in temperaments.
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

I'm seeing a pattern to those who have responded ;-) Kona our male is more relaxed and much more protective. Stormy our female is more playful and if an intruder were to enter our home she would look to Kona for help. Both are great companions, loyal and lovable.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Our male is exciteable but listens well. Our girl is super loving of all, totally un-chow chow. However she is the supreme predator and fighter. She also only responds to calm, if you are excited or in a hurray you don't exist. Both patrol at night throughout the house and now and again get a little over excited. She will calm first and usually get excited second except when on a hunt wher she is equal to our male.

We really don't see advantage to either. Perhaps this is from the way we raise them, not sure.
SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SoonLee »

Thank you all for the very interesting responses! I enjoyed and value all the different opinions. I decided to get the male. It was a tough decision. I know that every dog will have his/her own personality and how one raises them will influence behaviors also...but...my sister has a female (although not a Chow) who is very vindictive. I am partial to the more laid back dog with less drama (my have enough females in my life who are drama queens).
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

It must be the way they are raised because my male is hyper hyper hyper!!! He is almost a year and only 40 -42 pounds and cannot gain fat if he wanted to.

My girl on the other hand is the same age 55 pounds and is rather lazy. She loves to pick fights with the male though... which she often wins because she is so much heavier.

Both are very very obedient and know all their commands and can walk off leash through town if I choose.
mariabrook@gmail.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mariabrook@gmail.com »

Well folks let me tell you. I have a 15 months old male Chow and he doesn't fit most of the descriptions I've read here. He is the sweetest thing only occasionally a bit stubborn. We've bee so successful with his educations that we're about to get him a female Chow companion. We're starting the training process all over again. :) It's going to be challenging, only this time we're wider awake. If she turns out anything like Plato, it'll be worth every minute. Just train them well (we use positive training) from as soon as possible, and give them lots and lots of affection. Promise you, it's very rewarding.