My poor baby.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

My poor baby.

Post by Tippsy'smom »

The fireworks and gun shots completely freaked Jazz out. I had to lay him down in the floor and pretty much lay on/hold him to keep him from running around the house and getting hurt. Does anybody else's dog do this? I don't like seeing him so stressed out but I don't know how to help him...

But his fear kinda surprised me... He didn't get scared last year, and he didn't get scared by them on the 4th of July... And body have any ideas why he's become freaked out by them?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
ADKH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My poor baby.

Post by ADKH »

So far Kodi is not scared of anything including thunder and lightning or fireworks but he is scared of the vacuum cleaner noise. My other two chows were scared of everything.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. When midnight hit here in Tucson, somebody decided to let off an "atom bomb" about 12:02. It was a pretty big "popper". It caused a shock wave in the neighborhood. That set my two Chows right off. After that, they were code RED. After that, the usual fireworks, and my two Chows were panting big time all the way and showing their stuff, barking and snorting. (Snorting is why I have to clean the windows all the time, the little spots. Chows like to snort.)
The thing is that they have only ONE thing in mind, protect where they live and protect their food source and their companions, US, YOU. They are THE most loving dogs I've ever known. I'm 61 and I've had three Chows. It doesn't matter how much love you show for them, they give it back, over and over again. That's guaranteed.

Gene.
Gene
JollyRojer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JollyRojer »

Ive tested max with just about everything and to be honest the only thing that will send him scurrying to a corner is the vacuum cleaner, its strange the neighbors are always up partying lighting off fire works, running around the usual rough housing and it wont stur him but the moment the vacuum cleaner is on hes off into his corner.
dizzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dizzy »

my chows bark like mad at fireworks .if u get your dog and lay on him when scared your just gonna worsen there fears u need to show them theres nothing to be afraid and act normal
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I tried to act normal for a long time. I layed on the couch watching tv telling him "it's alright", but he kept running through the house with his tail tucked between his legs, growling and barking to the point where he was hurting himself by running into doors and walls. He hit the front door hard enough to dent it. If I shouldn't keep him from hurting himself in the only way I found worked, what should I do?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix