New Chow Owner

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

JollyRojer
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Owner

Post by JollyRojer »

HI my name is Ian and i was set over actually from one of my automotive forums after showing off my 3 month old chow chow max. Hes a chow mix that was given to me from a friends mother who wasnt expecting nor had the time for 3 puppys that coupled with my g/f recently moving out i now had space and max was in! hes been wonderfully so far and we spend an hour a day working on his socialization at the park. i couldnt be happier with him so i came to show him off :) any tips you guys have on city training and living would be great, ive owned and trained dogs before but never in the city.

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow Owner

Post by Sirchow »

Hi and welcome. What a cute cuddly pup you have there. If you check through some of the old training files I am sure you will come up with plenty of ideas but basically take him everywhere and let him be in as many different situations as possible. Hanging out in front of supermarkets is a good place as he will see lots of cars and meet people. What is his name? What was the other parent or does your friends mother not know? It will be interesting to see if his nature is chow or other. A few more photos would be nice! :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Welcome to the site - to you and your chowling. He looks very sweet.
Just be kind, firm and love him.
Chow Chows love to be the boss and you have to get it straight with him from the beginning that he is not you are! :lol: Therefore, you say - he does. :roll:
Until of course he decides he does not want to. \:D/ \:D/
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Very cute Judy. He he :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I (through my fiance, Dngrous_Dime), referred you here. Welcome to the site and take your time investigating the different threads!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Welcome aboard, looks like a wonderful roommate to me.. Won't take up too much space..
He looks like hes going to get lots of attention.. what a cutie..
The people here will give wonderful advise and it doesn't matter if its your first chow or 3rd like mine always something to learn about this breed.. They are great city pups.. not barkers, mind their own business and love their owners..
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Welcome. The best advice I have on training is NILF (nothing in life is free). It will help you establish yourself as the boss and source of all good things. Otherwise your pup is likely to think he is in charge. Obedience class helped us but you have to find the right trainer, positive reinforcement only.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
JollyRojer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JollyRojer »

Thanks for all the great words guys!

His name is max and we've come to the conclusions hes either mixed with a lab or a retriever my moneys on a golden retriever from the shape of his snout but we shall see, hes definitely exuding many of the chow qualities from day one hes tried with all his little heart to be the boss but thanks to alot of the advice from here and other people ive been ready for the behavior and able to deal with it right away before he begins turning them into habits.

Yesterday i took him to a friends pool and we went swimming for the first time! he was NOT a fan hahaha hes fine where he can touch but the moment his paws leave the ground he turned into a shaking scared wet ball of fur! my arms and torso are clawed like crazy but i really am glad we did it.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, I hear you about the nails. Nikki is 57 lbs plus and she clawed me yesterday and we never even got wet.. that was just trying to pick her up and put her in.. LOL.. Good that you did it. I'am still trying. I am afraid she will drown me at this point.. LOL..
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Hello! Max is an adorable boy! I think I'd agree with the Retriever mix. It looks like he may have the floppy retriever ears. Other than that ,though, he looks very chow-like. I'm glad you have been learning about chows because they are very different than any other breed. I think you'll find they are wonderful in many ways. That's what we all love about them! Keep the pictures coming! :)
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Max is just as cute as can be. You gotta love these crazy, proud, finicky, chows, LOL! Nothing like getting initiated into chow world. Welcome to the chow board.
Mia