She tried to give me a heartattack!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

She tried to give me a heartattack!

Post by CHowgal »

Last Friday, we had family and friends come over to grill out and have a bonfire. Well, I'd given Tippsy and Jasper baths and we'd been spending time out on the deck all afternoon. They'd been fine off leash so I figured as long as I kept a close eye on them they'd stay on the deck and not go off of the front steps. We made it through dinner but when it was just me and my friend Doug standing up there talking, Tippsy decided to test me. She walked to the top of the stairs and when I said "Don't even try it, Tippsy." she went and layed back down with Jasper. About 30 minutes passed and she sis it again, only this time, she didn't go lay back down... She bolted. I took off down the driveway and stopped when I saw that she had stopped at the neighbors mailbox. I edged up and she took off again. She sniffed around thier bushes and bolted towards their fence, so i ran ahead of her and she stopped infront of me. When I lunged to grab her she ducked and I hit the fence with my face and she got around me... Thank God for their Boston terrier or it would've taken me an hour to catch her... When we got back she ended up being tied to one of the posts on the deck. But she wasn't happy with me catching her.

Her mug shot. :lol:

Jess
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: She tried to give me a heartattack!

Post by chowpups »

Join the escapee list.. Nikki is just like that.. if she has the chance shes out of here.. there is just so much on the other side of the fence and she can see it too.. Today she decided a rabbit was good to try and escape for .. she dug the river rocks we put around the fence to get out. I didn't think she could move them but she did.. so she's in lock down again too.. I guess we have to put cement in the river rock so she cant' move them.. silly dogs..do they know we are protecting them from the wild side of the fence????
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I guess they don't. :lol: But I guess the wildlife doesn't quite understand why there's fences... There was a opposume sitting on the deck this morning and I guess Tippsy wanted him as a snack... But the coyotes and the bobcats scare me worse... They're why I have my paintball gun and the BB-gun... And my dad has his riffle. :shock:

Jess
Jess
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Bella is a master of the escape and bolt. As soon as the front door opens at her "nanny and poppy's " house she is gone like a flash. The problem with it is that when she runs she just runs and nothing you can say or do will make her slow or stop. A few times in the last 2 or 3 months she has slipped out and i have to run to catch her which I can normally catch up to her over a short distance but I do not have the stamina of my little chow girl. She usually just explores though and will eventually get bored and come back after a short time or at least stop to smell something of interest and give me a chance to grab her.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Yeah... I know that if I let her just go, she'd come back. I just don't want her to get into a mishap with a car... there's a lot of idiots who speed up and down through our neighborhood, so it's safer to go ahead and catch her. Over the nine years that I've had her though, she's only gotten loose about 7 times. And I've only been around for 3 of them... The others she ran loose for hours at a time. :?

Jess
Jess
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear, what a naughty girl - never mind, all is well now.
What a naughty Tippsey.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Stamina, yes I am afraid if they ever start carding us for dog ownership Iam in trouble(too old to own a dog).. my stamina got up and left right around the time arthritis hit.. Iam fine for leash control and house control but I can't run the open fields of corn and apple orchards..if hubby wasn't in such good shape I think Nikki would have been a stray .. she just keeps going till she finds a fox hole or rabbit or squirrel.. her scent is unbelievable. She has worn me down twice where I ended up getting the car and then she comes running.. usually..
Her recall is fine in the classes we went to with no distractions, and shes fine in the house when I call but once she hits the yard and a bird chirps or a squirrel goes by its adios.. I have things to do ...
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

All's well that ends well. Right Judy? :lol:

Tip's recall is only good when she wants it to be. :lol: She just really enjoys testing me. Which I admit, there are moments where she really pushes my buttons, but I could never stay mad at her for long. I'm just glad that when she does get loose without me here she does come back. And usually she's sitting right on the driveway waiting for me, wagging her tail.

Jess
Jess
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yogi got out once too had to bribe him with treats for him to come back lol
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki is too smart for the treats anymore.. she could careless .. I had a hamburger the last time and she still went further..
Iam just glad to see its not just Nikki .. I love her but she can push my buttons..especially if it means running .. (legs are not in good shape at the moment. Doing physical therapy but its slow healing). I guess she would come back but I dont want to take the chance .. there is just so much space for her to get lost in ..woods are nice to look at but hard to find a little 2 ft high or so chow in.. who has her face in a fox hole with growling Mom protecting her pups..
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

The ONLY treat Tippsy comes for is cheese. Anything else and she looks at me like I'm stupid and hightails it outta there.

Woods aren't ANY fun to chase chows through. No matter what time of year it is... Snakes, spiders, coyotes, fox, and bobcats are things I just don't enjoy coming face to face with...

Jess
Jess
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have Haley to help me catch Lily when she toodles. We use our cell's to report position of the perp'. We then close in on her, usually after she runs into a fenced area. Stinkers! I cannot wait her out either. I would never forgive myself if she came to harm.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Auddymay wrote:I have Haley to help me catch Lily when she toodles. We use our cell's to report position of the perp'. We then close in on her, usually after she runs into a fenced area. Stinkers! I cannot wait her out either. I would never forgive myself if she came to harm.
Usually I have my mom helping me... if you can call her taking her sweet time in the truck, "helping". She she had run to the store on the corner to get hershey bars for s'mores. And the only reason Doug didn't help is because he didn't want to freak her out. But I couldn't knowingly wait her out if she gets out under my supervision.

Jess
Jess
Mochi_Yoshi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mochi_Yoshi »

oh goodness, I am so glad u got her! That is my worst nightmare is when they get lose.

My last chow, Bebe, was the perfect escape artist. Too many times she has taken advantage of unknowing friends and relatives whom have not closed the door fast enough either entering or exiting the house...oh my that not fun. No amount of treats, cheese, talking, or a dangling whole cooked chicken :shock: will get her to come back. We would have to outsmarted her and cornered her, or she will eventually decide that she's had enough and come home. She's gotten me in trouble with the law and animal control...I even had to go to court for a ticket named "Dog at Large!"

Well, the last time she escaped was the last...guess she found a new home over the bridge with the help of a speeding car. God I miss her dearly. O:)

I envy those that can have a chow that have 100% recall. But even as horrible of an experience of her getting killed...I still would not have any other dog than our lovely chows...even if I have to live on the verge of a heart attack! :P

God bless
You have to ask yourself "How can you say no to this face....?" Answer: when they chew on your favorite purse...
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Like Tippsy, my old chow, Cinder was an escape artist, too... In the 2 years that he was with us, a day that he didn't escape and we didn't have to spend forever riding the neighborhood in the truck was a good one. The last time he escaped, we didn't have to ride the neighborhood... we searched the backyard first and found him under the shed (he'd escaped from his pen) dieing from heat exhaustion. I STILL miss him to this day, and I was only 4 at the time of his passing but I knew all to well what had happened to him.

Thankfully, Tippsy doesn't like moving vehicles so she watches the roads when she's near them.

Jess
Jess