LOLA HAS ENTROPIAN

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

LOLA HAS ENTROPIAN

Post by lola chow »

hi i have just left lola at the grooming palour after first seeing the vet she confirmed my thought lola has entropian of both eyes on both lids she is going to book lola in for surgery on the bottom lids for now as they are causing the most trouble and later for the top lids poor lola
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: LOLA HAS ENTROPIAN

Post by Sirchow »

Poor lola i'm sorry. It is so hard to see your babies in trouble I hope she doesn't have to wait long for surgery. It seems to be a very successful operation. Big hug for lola. xxx
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear, I am so sorry - poor little love and poor you - it is awful when something is wrong.
M & M send purple kisses and please give her a gentle hug from me. :( :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry you and Lola have to go through this. Many others have and it seems to be a very successful operation. Best wishes to you both.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

i'M SO SORRY TO HEAR OF lOLA'S EYE PROBLEMS.

Colonel had an aweful case of entropion. Be sure when you speak with your vet, ask how aggressively he/she plans to
trim back the eyelid. Will they be cutting off the lid, or do they plan to simply tack it down with 3 or 4 stitches.
Without communicating this, you may find your vet too conservative, thus the same operation need be done again.
You see, these surgeries change the shape of the eyes. Chows have almond shaped eyes (condusive to entropion),
you doctor needs to know from you how willing you are accept that in severe cases, a successful surgery means rounding
out the eyes and losing the almond shape? I had a very hard time with this...I kept telling my vet that I wanted function over form,
be as agressive as it takes to assure he is not in pain and the lid doesn't slide back into his eye in the future.
Well, they wouldn't do it, because they were afraid I would be one of those doggie parents that would throw a fit if he no longer
looked chowish. My point, decide what is best for you and your chow and make it clear to the vet what you want.
I recommend function over form, do it right the first time, so that you don't have to return with a chowkid in pain.

Also, you can keep *Polysporin ointment in his eyes, applied 4 times per day, to ease the pain in his eyes, also it will prevent the cornea
from being scratched, saving him from blindness.

Good luck, keep us posted
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Tai had entropian in his left eye. We waitied until he was almost a year old to see if it would fix on it's own, it didn't. So my vet did Tai's surgery and Tai came through it like a trooper. Home that night (only because I insisted he was NOT staying) in an e-collar. I took it off and he did fine. I'm real please with the amount if lid that Doc took. But I do agree with Bama... function over beauty.
Nancy and Tai

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yoshi and Maxine send you two purple kisses. We have never had to deal with it, so I am afraid I can't help you

David
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Entropian is a common ailment of both the chow and the c hinese sharpei.

Did you contact your breeder? Most breeders of merit will cover the cost of this surgery if it's written in your health guarantee.

If you didn't get your chow from a breeder, but either adopted, etc, well it's a chow evil and surgery is the only solution, and please do it because it will only lead to blindness eventually., and of course it's painful for your doggie!!
MM
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

hi all shes had the surgery to day the breeder is advertising a black pup at the minute with entopian of one eye we have pet insurance which should cover the problem just waiting now to pick her up xxxxx thanks everyone xxx
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Best of luck Lolaaaa!!!!
I'm sure she'll be fine

Please check out this link of ours
It tell you alot about how to select breeders of merit

Cheers
Let us know how Lola does ok
MM
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad to hear the surgery is over. Now Lola will be on the road to recovery!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Glad it is over for you both - she has just got to get better now.
Hugs and purple kisses from us. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)