Mika's bizzaro behaviour - swedish berries...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Mika's bizzaro behaviour - swedish berries...

Post by Karla »

Hi All,

I had some swedish berry chewy candies last night and someone named Mika got super super agitated. She'd acted like this before when my husband had some wine gum candies, we don't often eat these but a few times a year we do and she acts like this every time, before, I just chalked it up to her needing to do her business or hearing a deer on the lawn or some other forest creature about the yard and didn't pay any mind to it but now that it obvious that its to do with the chewy-gummy candy...and for our super laid back Mika, its bizzare...

She paces, gets up on the window ledge (what she does when tracking deer on the front yard), jumps up on the couch without coaxing (not normal for her - she doesn't usually like to come up at all but will with a treat), walks on us on the couch, paws at the couch cushions, paws at my legs, puts her paws up on my knees, paws at the floor, paws at the carpet, all in all she acts like she's either seriously checking out animals and wants me to bring her out for a hunt or like she's telling up she's about to have some emergency poos. She's not angling for some as when she wants, say, a chip, she sniffs in real hard and long like its a long pig snort, I'm sure most chows do this, and will gladly take a chip or a piece of cracker but she very obviously doesn't want any of the chewy candy, she won't even sniff it.

If I take her outdoors there is no urgent poos or pees. It's strange and the only things I can think of is that the gelatin in the candies smell like something she's smelled from deers, cows or horses - ie the whole 'hooves are used to make gelatin' thing... OR she gets super agitated about the excessive chewing but she doesn't react like that when snacking on chips or fruit or when chewing gum.

Has any one else experienced anything like this? I'm not down with not having my bi-annual swedish berry fix but at the same time I don't want to just ignore this behaviour pattern as she's a perfect doll in every capacity...
Cheers,
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Mika's bizzaro behaviour - swedish berries...

Post by kiwani »

Research confectionary products containing human pheromone components...
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL Maybe you should eat those in the car :lol: :lol:
hummmmm human pheronmone components?? I may want to get me some of those too then :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

kiwani wrote:Research confectionary products containing human pheromone components...
...disturbing stuff that is eh?... maybe I'll re-examine my rare and random but real "need" for swedish berries a few times a year and what could (hu-hum) cause it...
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Explains why Cheyenne wants to crawl into my mouth whenever I eat the cheap hard candy we got at Fred's around xmas.
She just will not leave me alone when I eat that stuff.
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

i have a picture of jack somewhere on my old computer of him with a swedish berrie stuck in his teeth. he stole it from the table and spent ten minutes trying to get it out of his teeth.
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

jaxsun_12 wrote:i have a picture of jack somewhere on my old computer of him with a swedish berrie stuck in his teeth. he stole it from the table and spent ten minutes trying to get it out of his teeth.
hey now, that would be "worth the cash" to watch, sort of like when a piece of lettuce gets stuck to the roof of their mouths...
Karla and Mika
ImageImage