Wasn't sure about the answers!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Wasn't sure about the answers!

Post by Piff Poff »

Well I just got all excited! There was an ad for chow pups and hubby said I could call \:D/ There is a red girl (hubby would like a red). When I queried about entropian in the line she got a little defensive and said (straight away) it wasn't always necessary for surgery and a watery eye is really common. Henry doesn't have watery eyes and he wasn't from a registered/showdog background. The only question she asked me was why I wanted a girl, was I expecting to breed - er no I don't know enough for that and Henry's fixed, oh good because she is just a pet. That was it, all the questions. I have asked her to email a photo of the red girl, maybe we'll go to see, hubby is a little put off by the price though. The pups are already 12 weeks old........Would be wrong to go and see and see how Henry is?
Thank you Sweatpea
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wasn't sure about the answers!

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Let us know how Henry gets along!
ImageImageImage
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I'd not take another dog to a property with a litter, simply because of the chance of bringing something in. Not that Henry has an illness, but he could walk through something like parvo that he has immunity to, but that a puppy would not.

I'm pleased that she's placing the pup as a pet if it's pet quality, but the fact that she's shrugging off watery eyes is a little concerning. Yes, they can happen, but I'd be wary.
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Piff Poff wrote:Well I just got all excited! There was an ad for chow pups and hubby said I could call \:D/ There is a red girl (hubby would like a red). When I queried about entropian in the line she got a little defensive and said (straight away) it wasn't always necessary for surgery and a watery eye is really common. Henry doesn't have watery eyes and he wasn't from a registered/showdog background. The only question she asked me was why I wanted a girl, was I expecting to breed - er no I don't know enough for that and Henry's fixed, oh good because she is just a pet. That was it, all the questions. I have asked her to email a photo of the red girl, maybe we'll go to see, hubby is a little put off by the price though. The pups are already 12 weeks old........Would be wrong to go and see and see how Henry is?

Be careful. This person has not asked really any questions that I would expect a breeder to ask a potential puppy buyer to ensure that they are being placed in a good home. I agree with Grab about the response to watery eyes as well. Cara & Harley just posted today a great document about what you should ask a breeder you are buying a dog from called "Be an Informed Buyer"

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Cypher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cypher »

Were they from Red Deer or Penhold?
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

The breeder has already called twice tonight - once to say the e-mail wasn't working and then to say she had sent piccies - OMG she is adorable (of course). I wondered if anyone had heard of Sanders Kennels out of Nashville and Paramount Kennels - Dame is from Sanders and Sire from Paramount. I have tried googling but have not come up with anything useful. The breeder did mention contracts and I did question why I hadn't heard of any of her litters before (she's been breeding for 14 years) - it's the 1st litter for 4 years. For the money she is asking I think I would rather have a show quality chowling but I'm in love and hubby isn't at the moment (the price is really putting him off and he's still not sure about an addition so this is probably a non starter :( ).

Cypher they are from Red Deer - Anders to be precise so not Henry Mum and Dad (thankfully). Hows Gunner?
Thank you Sweatpea
Cypher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cypher »

Where are they advertising?

Gunner is the bom, he is without a doubt the best friend I've ever had. Going through the BS I'm going through at the moment I'm glad the mighty Chow is around. He and my family are my strength. :)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Gunner she is advertising through Kijiji, she has sent me loads of photos, I would be happy to forward on to you (as well as her price) she has I think 2 black girls left and (maybe) my red girl.
Thank you Sweatpea
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I would ask for a list of previous clients with phone numbers,if they care they will have that information, if they don't then I would be cncerned,If they do have them , call a few to check on the health of their puppies
cmyers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cmyers »

Sheila Sanders is a breeder out of Murfeessboro, Tenn. She has been quite ill, and haven't heard of any litters. Paramount Chows is Jeff and Susie Sedillos, Colorado............
Caryl Myers
Cejam Chows
http://www.cejamchows.com
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Thanks everyone for your responses they have as usual been really helpful. I have been sent loads of photos of an absolutely amazing looking Mum and super cute pups, we are spending the day thinking about what we want to do before replying, I really don't want to fall for another chowling and then my husband getting freezing feet.

Cmyers - thanks for your reply, the Mum of the chowlings was from Sanders kennels and the Sire lives in Edmonton and was from Paramont, can you tell me if the the kennels have a good reputation for healthy chows? - If you would rather, then please PM me the answer? Thanks so much.
Thank you Sweatpea
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Just and update. My husband gave me full go ahead to continue persuing this chowling this morning \:D/ BUT I have decided against her, my gut feeling isn't what I think it should be so I have just emailed the breeder to let her know my decision. We have decided that if the right chowgirl comes up for adoption we will go with her and chowlings will be long away in the future.
Thank you Sweatpea