General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

What to do with little Mochi?

Post by ChowFUN »

Hi All,

I was just wondering what you do with your chows when you go on vacation. We are planning on going to vacation for two weeks this fall, and have been having a hard time figuring out what to do with Mochi. Unfortunately, we can not take him. We don't want to leave him at a kennel for two weeks. We do not have any friends with yards that we can leave him at. I have thought about hiring a pet sitter, but Mochi is a bit wary of strangers, especially coming into our house and I am afraid they might not know how to approach him, being a big mean chow and all. Haha. Any suggestions? We live in Los Angeles. (We are so conflicted - we have never left Mochi overnight before. We have been taking trips locally so that he can come along. )
Last edited by ChowFUN on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chingshouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What to do with little Mochi?

Post by Chingshouse »

You can send him to Florida for Mr Socks and Harley to play with but he is soooooooooo cute I might forget to send him back!!!!! :)

We have traveling issues with dogs too, I wish I could help!!!! Good luck!!!

Barb :)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I'm afraid Henry gets to go to the Kennels when we go somewhere he can't come :(

He doesn't poop until he has too - usually 3 or 4 days, he eats very litte and we can tell by his tired face that he gets very little sleep, he also refuses treats off the kennel lady and her staff. We found a dream kennel for Henry, she used to be a vet nurse and had only just opened when Henry went the 1st time at 10 months old. She is also a small kennel that she can run solo if all her staff ran away :lol: Henry loves to go for a visit but isn't so happy when we hand over the leash. He gets brushed and bathed. I know he doesn't like it much, But I also know he is in good hands.
Thank you Sweatpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I don't know what to tell you. I have been lucky that my aunt has been able to house/babysit everytime we have gone somewhere. I did research alot of kennels though one time when I thought I would have to leave them. I found one out in the country with a big play yard ran by a man who is also a trainer. He let his out of their kennels into large fenced fields for playtime during the day (with or w/out other dogs). I just couldn't bring myself to leave them in a vet type kennel...basically a 4x4 cage! :shock: Maybe you can find a kennel that would make you feel more comfortable...a doggie spa :D...they have all kinds now . Beware of the prices though..they are outrageous! Or research house/pet sitters. I am sure they would agree to a 'get to know Mochi' time before the trip. Any friends with college age kids or any colleges around you? Ask around at work..see if anyone knows any house sitters. I have a client who uses a house sitter everytime she goes out of town to care for her two yappers.
Wish you could send that cutie to me! :x
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

We used to always take the poodles everywhere.That wouldn't work with the chows,so we just don't go anywhere,lol
I'd try a housesitter and make sure they meet a couple of times before you book your flight.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I don't go on vactions because of my chows.but I would say what Laura suggested.if you could find a petsitter that would get to know Mochi before you go.you have plenty of time.
around here we have tons of kennels,daycare boarding places,etc.but I just couldn't bring myself to leave them there :(
I have to go to a conference for 1 week in Oct. and I have 4-5 people coming to take care of my 2.I hate leaving them.
good luck and start looking :wink:
Last edited by jacqui on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

We go abroad at least twice a year for about 2weeks each. I board LEO at the vet. True, she doesn't get much exercise, you can see it in her nails, but is safe, and she loves it there, they love her. She would stay at the spa, a doggie daycare & o/n stay place when the vet is full.

I got the tip from fellow dog walkers in the neighbourhood. Do ask around. We all face the same problem.... :D

I changed vets on advise from one of the dog walkers, as well.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

I have a house/pet sitter. And I have a web cam on my computer so he can take pics and post/send them for me. I love the dogs being able to stay home...we have the sitter over often for a "remember me" visit.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

threedogjeep wrote:I have a house/pet sitter. And I have a web cam on my computer so he can take pics and post/send them for me. I love the dogs being able to stay home...we have the sitter over often for a "remember me" visit.
Thats the perfect solution, a Chow sitter/house sitter with a webcam. Pick your Chow/house sitter very carefully and let them get acquainted way before you leave. With a webcam you can watch your chow and what's going on every minute...I don't really like kennels not to much one on one going on and I've read to many stores of the Chows/dogs running off, K9amberalert is filled with them. Plus with a sitter its not as traumatic on the chow when you leave because its still in its home it won't have to get use to new surroundings

If you get a sitter make sure they know they are walking a Chow and not a dog they need to know the Chows little quirks like spending an hour in one spot for a relaxing poop.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

hey jeff, have you ever given any thought into chow sitting??? you would make the perfect chow sitter. especially that hrh pekoe just loves the company. lmao.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

janet wrote:hey jeff, have you ever given any thought into chow sitting??? you would make the perfect chow sitter. especially that hrh pekoe just loves the company. lmao.
The problem is I have always said, once a Chow steps threw the door it stays so that may not work to well. How ever I took it for granted that since they said were going to Thailand they might be Thai, My son-in-law and Grandson are half Thai so I ask my son in-law if he wanted to Chow sit for his Homies.

I thought the first post said they were going to Thailand but it changed so maybe they decided just to go to Disneyland.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

maybe we could be on to something here. instead of charging a fee to chowsit in your home, whatever monies would have been spent elsewhere could be donated to the rescue of your choice. sounds like a win win situation. the chow is in the best hands, the owner doesnt have to worry, and a shelter/rescue gets a donation.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowFUN »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
janet wrote:hey jeff, have you ever given any thought into chow sitting??? you would make the perfect chow sitter. especially that hrh pekoe just loves the company. lmao.
The problem is I have always said, once a Chow steps threw the door it stays so that may not work to well. How ever I took it for granted that since they said were going to Thailand they might be Thai, My son-in-law and Grandson are half Thai so I ask my son in-law if he wanted to Chow sit for his Homies.

I thought the first post said they were going to Thailand but it changed so maybe they decided just to go to Disneyland.

Haha. I had originally posted that...then someone said to me - you posted where you are going, when, and where you live - haha...so being paranoid, they made me take it off....even though we have Mochi on guard. Haha
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

You are lucky you are on the west coast, if you were on the east coast we would keep him, oh i mean watch him for you. we just love Mochi, everytime i see that picture of him were it looks like he is smiling i just laugh. We are lucky enough to have to wonderful babysitters if we go away. This weekend we are leaving for Vegas for 5 days and uncle Tim & aunt Jill are coming to stay w/ the chowkidz. but at the end of the month all 4 of us are driving to Key West for a wedding. Our babysitters are also going to the wedding so we need to take the kidz. Our vacations are usually scheduled so they can go. I have read about spa's and camps for dogs and it seems like a lot are in CA. Good luck and remember if you have no other options he can come to PA.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Cypher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cypher »

Piff Poff wrote:I'm afraid Henry gets to go to the Kennels when we go somewhere he can't come :(

He doesn't poop until he has too - usually 3 or 4 days, he eats very litte and we can tell by his tired face that he gets very little sleep, he also refuses treats off the kennel lady and her staff. We found a dream kennel for Henry, she used to be a vet nurse and had only just opened when Henry went the 1st time at 10 months old. She is also a small kennel that she can run solo if all her staff ran away :lol: Henry loves to go for a visit but isn't so happy when we hand over the leash. He gets brushed and bathed. I know he doesn't like it much, But I also know he is in good hands.
Sorry to go off topic, but where are you taking him?

We should introduce the 2, maybe we can exchange Chow sitting services when needed. ;)
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Do you have any neighbors you know and trust?
SweetPea Rocks!!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I have a trusted friend that comes over to feed and water my pack. His son comes with him and he plays with all of them (except Ping). Ping stands at the top of the stairs and woo woooos at them until they leave. I pack up their treats in separate ziplock bags for each day I'm gone. They get fresh water and usually don't eat too much when I'm gone. I think I get more stressed leaving them than they get being left. :?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Myself, I wouldn't leave a Chow alone and just have someone dropping by everyday I would want someone with her 24 hrs. If it were a couple of Chows/dogs living together then that might be a differant story but a one and only I wouldn't trust alone. I have never had to leave Pekoe over night for any reason, Pekoe goes were I go but when I do leave her for a few hours I leave a couple of TV's on just so she thinks Sponge Bob lives with us.

ImageImage
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

When Ralph and Honey were alive, I'd have a good friend come to the house several times a day to let them out. When I moved, if I had to go away, I'd take them to stay with my (now ex-) B/F. The times we both went away (best friend's wedding in Nassau - impossible to take the babies with; business trip to Santa Fe; flight to Chicago for my father's funeral), we hired a local pet sitter who lived in the complex we did. She came to see them a couple of times first, and after Ralphied died, she'd take Honey to her condo until we got back.

Now I've broken up with the b/f, and I've just got Brandy. So far, I've managed to take her anywhere I've gone (we've driven to Florida, Atlanta, and Chicago), but I'm flying up for a 4 day weekend in Chicago, and taking Brandy isn't really an option for the short trip. I've found a pet sitter who works in the courthouse with me, that one of my co-workers knows very well. She and her husband take the dogs to stay with them, though they won't have multiple dogs at one time (unless they're "family"). I'm taking Brandy over to see them next week and I'm already stressing about leaving her alone (I'm going Veterans' Day weekend). It IS like leaving my child alone! Just too far to drive in that time frame, and too much stress to take her on the plane, then on a bus out to where my mother lives (mom can't drive these days), plus a limited budget right now. At least Julie comes highly recommended and she's only charging me $15 a day. which is what I'd pay to have someone come to the house just twice a day...

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am afraid, I can't help you either. I haven't gone on vacation since I got Maxwell and Yoshi. When I only had 3 dogs, I had someone stay at the house 24/7. If you have a friend who is willing you could have them come often before you leave to help Mochi get used to him or her

David
ChowFUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowFUN »

I've talked to a lady who runs a dog bed and breakfast. The dog stays at her house, and is supposedly treated like family. I like this idea the best. He would be the only dog, and she is the only person that takes care of him. I like the one on one and the fact that he is not caged up somewhere.

We are still having a hard time thinking about leaving Mochi, so we are reconsidering our vacation and thinking about a road trip.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

ROAD TRIP! ROAD TRIP! ROAD TRIP! \:D/
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwww don't give up your trip! Keep looking and asking around til you find something you're comfortable with. People leave their hooman kids and go on trips w/out them you know. :wink: I miss mine like crazy when I leave them and worry but every one of them has always been fine. You can do a trial run too once you find a place or person...leave him overnight or for a couple days so he can experience it and you can find out how he does and he will learn that you're coming back. Whoever keeps him will love him...how can you not love that face!!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

OH I agree don't miss your trip. I miss Butters really terribly when I go somewhere but our last trip was incredible I am glad we went. The dog b&b sounds nice!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Cypher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cypher »

The dog B&B sounds great, what a fantastic idea!