Panting??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Panting??

Post by ac13 »

I have a 10 week old pup "Avery". He is great. Playfull ,eats nothing wrong with him. Latley I notice he is starting to pant (breath) real heavy. When he plays I can understand it but sometimes even at night when he is sleeping you can hear him panting. Anythig to worry about? Anyone have this happen to them?
Any advice will help. Thanks
0420080935.jpg
0420080935.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Panting??

Post by Red Dragon »

He is panting either because he is hot, or there could be some sort of pain. What is the temperature inside the home? Does he have access to a tile floor or concrete floor to lay on? Near an AC vent is prefered by many Chows too, I have seen them lay on top of them to get cooled off.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OZZY13849 »

Ozzy has had very rapid breathing since he was 10 weeks old....he pants, he snorts, he sneezes, and snores really loud! He is always walking around the house with his mouth hanging open and panting heavy. He has his own fan now that keeps him cool and he also has two rooms with tile that he likes to lay on. I thought there was something wrong with him so I contemplated going to the vet....we held off for a while and watched him carefully...he is now 9 months old and nothings changed I figured it was normal and believe that he is perfectly healthy!
by the way...what a cutie!!! love the pic:)
ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ac13 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I do notice he loves the tile floor as well as laying in the cool water after I use the garden hose. If he was hurting I think it would effect his daily routine. He runs and jumps around in the yard so Im not worried about any injuries. I was worried about maybe some breathing troubles. Ill monitor it.
Would like to see Ozzy if u have a pic..
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

If he is a heavy type Chow you need to keep the house cool, I usually keep my house between 70 and 72 degrees in the summer, and around 68-70 in the winter. Give him a small fan where he likes to stay, that will help. If his breathing is raspy sounding he may have an elongated soft pallate, if he does it is very important to keep him cool, if he gets overheated it will restrict his airway and it will be like a snowball effect until he overheats and has a stroke.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OZZY13849 »

Here is a more recent photo of Ozzy and one from 10 weeks

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Alf was like this a LOT. I keep the house below 70, a fan for him, ice cubes in the water, wood floor downstairs, tiles in the bathrooms upstairs so he can always find a cool spot.

Are you sure his coat is brushed to the skin? If he has any tangles it will be making him hotter.....
Thank you Elodie!
ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ac13 »

Ozzy is a great looking dog.
fings1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fings1 »

Can't help with the panting, but he's adorable.