Reply to Update Smokey.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mishhart626doglover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Update-Smokey-1 yr. old red male-AR-PTS

Post by mishhart626doglover »

I just wanted to give an update on Smokey!

I found the people on this site were nasty to me and to the rescue person. We were trying to bring Smokey to
Massachusetts.

Well, maybe Jeff can take Smokey, oh yeah, I forgot his dog doesn't play nice. Jeff was going to pay for his surgery anyway. Jerry was going to transport him. Any good homes? Oh, yeah there wasn't.

Because of all the crap we got for trying to help a dog that was going to be put to sleep, Smokey's not coming!
Jeff was extremely rude and Nasty!

This is a copy of an email I got from Diane Santos.
To: Dianne
> Date: Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:37 PM
> Subject: Re: 1YO red male in Marion, AR
>
> I just got a call from Edee who has Smokey at her home. She says the
> shelter is not comfortable sending him to you because you keep your fosters at
> the local shelter and because Michelle, the potential adopter you have for
> Smokey said she cannot afford entropion surgery for Smokey. I assured Edee
> that you told me that if Michelle did not work out for Smokey that you would
> have no trouble placing him there. I have also assure Joan and Edee that you
> are a responsible rescue and will do the right thing for Smokey. I feel like
> I stuck my neck out here and feel back that this boy is still sitting there
> untreated. They still don't know if you want him if he ends up being HW
> positive and are unsure of the entire thing now. Any chance you can
> communicate with them to smooth this over in any way? Please let me
> know what you decide so that I can try to help work out another solution for
> him. Thanks!‚ Luana
> Dianne
>
>
> Dianne, for what it is worth, I think this is the biggest crock and I am very
> sorry for getting you involved with this chow now. They are on their own at
> this point, because I don't know what else to tell Joan.

I am so mad!! Those people on Chow Chow.org are NOT rescue people, or
even experienced Chow people. I wouldn't bother with them at all. They are all
talk & no action!! How much worse can it get?? I asked to have him heart worm tested & they, Edee & Joan,
that is, turned it into I won't take him if he's heart worm positive!! I never
said any such thing. I just wanted to be prepared, financially..
Dianne

Diane was going to get him transported up to Mass, have his medical problems taken care of (entropian surgery included), have him groomed and socialize him. When he was medically cleared I was going to bring Cocoa, my Chow Chow who he WAS going to live with, to play with him so they could get used to each other. Smokey would have had everything he needed and lots of love with me.

Now because of many people's ignorance who knows what will happen to Smokey or even if he's still around. Helping this poor dog get well and have a good home is all I wanted. I hope Smokey gets cared for somehow.

All the negativity makes a huge impact on getting something accomplished.....it doesn't!
Michelle
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Reply to Update Smokey.

Post by ChowLady »

I dont think its fair to label all people as not knowing much about chows. I myself had nothing to do with what was said about Smokey. If I was closer I would have given Smokey a home, as he is so cute and really could do with a very loving forever home.
Last edited by ChowLady on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Reply to Update Smokey.

Post by Laura »

I'm not getting into the drama of all this but I hope Smokey finds a good home and that someone will be able to let us know...keep us updated.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Before people start rambling on to much Smokey is fine he is in a foster and all his medical needs are being taken care of. this isn't exactly breaking news some of you knew two weeks ago Smokey wasn't going to MA lets just leave it be. Smokey is fine but if anyone one wants to donate to his medical needs he has a paypal account. Some of you have donated the rescue says thank you. Like i'm going to let anything happen to Smokey after all that, sure.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Thanks Jeff I was hoping you knew what was really going on.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Thanks Jeff and others who know where the help is needed, required.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Thanks Jeff for letting us know that Smokey has a foster home. I was just upset that someone can come on here and state that we all no nothing about chows as thats not correct at all. Any way everyone hope you all have a happy easter.
SHELA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SHELA »

If his medical needs are going to be taken care of. then why are we asking for help with medical care..wasn't that the reason why he was pulled from the other lady...she couldn't afford it....If that was the case, a donation could have been taken up for her also.......
Chloe's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chloe's Mom »

SHELA wrote:If his medical needs are going to be taken care of. then why are we asking for help with medical care..wasn't that the reason why he was pulled from the other lady...she couldn't afford it....If that was the case, a donation could have been taken up for her also.......
It was. Jeff had offered from the beginning to help. I'm happy to learn that he's in a safe place and no longer in danger of being pts. I also hope the MA woman who wanted him is able to find a chow companion for Coco.
Chloe says "Yes it is all about me."
SHELA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SHELA »

Hi
thanks for your reply..I just didn't understand the donation part of it.......I know jeff has a big heart with chows and he bends over backwards for them......but I still didn't understand the donation part......I remember him stating that he would pay for the eye surgery....and I don't like to assume, I would rather asked....and really, the only one that can answer this is jeff....
Last edited by SHELA on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHELA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SHELA »

And I have to agree, I am very happy that he got a home. and wasn't put to sleep....And I hope the same thing....the lady finds another chow.....
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Speaking of Smokey I just got off the phone with Joan and the vet, Smokey Needs eyes, Heartworm and Neutering he's going in Wednesday for it all. I paid for the eyes and a little extra change left over for something else so if anyone wants to help with the other the Vet is.

Wolf Chase Animal Hospital
Dr. Taylor
901-371-wolf

Is that the answer you wanted?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Jeff your a angel when it comes to chows, thats so wonderful and kind of you to pay for smokey's eyes. I
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

What they need now is a permanent home for Smokey preferably in the Arkansas area, Like most rescues Joan isn't to excited about sending him out of the area she wants close tabs on him so he doesn't ever wind up in a shelter again. Who ever takes him will have a brand new Chow all groomed and healthy with a good temperament. Smokey did get into a little scuffle over food with the same *Censored Word* dog the foster has but the foster and Joan said it wasn't Smokey's fault the other dog started it. If anyone in AK is looking Smokey is a year old and ready to go next week.

Do the Clintons as in Hilary and Bill still live in AK maybe they are looking, Smokey would make a great political Chow, someone in AK want to give them a call or drop by their home, Hilary might be out of town but Bill should be lounging by the pool.

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

They are New Yorkers now, Jeff.
mishhart626doglover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mishhart626doglover »

Yes it's me, the Ma. lady again.

So Smokey still does not have a home because they wanted to keep an eye on him? :(

These are the facts:
1) He was coming to Mass through a Rescue.

2) His medical needs were PAID for.

3) Smokey was then going to a great home with a Chow playmate.

Did anyone think of checking the Rescue's references or my references?
Was that too hard or was it just easier to keep him?
I'm still not sure what was not understood about this plan?

So he didn't go to a good home because it was too far away?
Michelle
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

mishhart626doglover wrote:Yes it's me, the Ma. lady again.

So Smokey still does not have a home because they wanted to keep an eye on him? :(

These are the facts:
1) He was coming to Mass through a Rescue.

2) His medical needs were PAID for.

3) Smokey was then going to a great home with a Chow playmate.

Did anyone think of checking the Rescue's references or my references?
Was that too hard or was it just easier to keep him?
I'm still not sure what was not understood about this plan?
So he didn't go to a good home because it was too far away?
I spent months looking, searching to rescue a chow after my Luna chow passed the bridge in the summer of 2006. Do you have any idea how many times I was turned down? Reasons varied, from not wanting to adopt out of town, state, province whatever the case maybe. Other times I arrived too late and the chow was adopted minutes earlier. Another chow I wanted was p.t.s. because he bit everyone who approached him. It cost bucks to travel, it cost me long distance calls until I finally came across Mikki chow on a CL type of site (jijiji.ca). I had no idea what medical bills were ahead of me after adopting Mikki (there were).

By stating in an earlier post, you were apprehensive to pay for a possible eye surgery, you did it to yourself. I added a mutt to my mini zoo six weeks ago, he was fully vetted, still, I ended up paying $250 for incidentals. More to come next month when the mutt gets tested for HW. Do I know whether or not he's going to be HW positive? Expenses occur and if you are hesitant of spending money, don't bother to adopt another chow.

I do hope Smokey finds a forever home, someone who will love him and has a VISA card.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Michelle, from reading your previous post, my understanding on why Smokey was ultimately not released to your MA rescue is because Dianne (your rescue org rep.) houses their rescue chows at her local shelter. Ref. your quote e-mail to Dianne from Luana:
mishhart626doglover wrote: ..... This is a copy of an email I got from Diane Santos.
To: Dianne
Date: Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: 1YO red male in Marion, AR
>
I just got a call from Edee who has Smokey at her home. She says the shelter is not comfortable sending him to you because you keep your fosters at the local shelter and because ... Any chance you can communicate with them to smooth this over in any way? Please let me know what you decide so that I can try to help work out another solution for him. Thanks!‚ Luana

Whether that is true or not, here on the site, we've read more times than ever how mistakes happen and chows unfortunately get pts because of an administrative error. Whatever the bottomline truth to Joan's reasoning on why she chose to keep Smokey in AR, keep in mind you had two bonafide rescue organizations trying to get Smokey to you (your rescuer, Dianne, and Luana).

Please some of us welcomed you to the site. It would be great to hear about the chow you do have, Cocoa and not the anger about not being able to adopt Smokey. It will only bring out more of the uglies to the board, and for goodness sake, some of us are observing Easter today. Karin is correct in writing your next chow has not found you yet. When he (or she) does, you'll see the difference in not being able to adopt Smokey versus being found by *the* chow destined for you and Cocoa. A few of us here, myself included, have had chows that touched our heart in spirit taken away for whatever reasons and we've had to move on. Once we did, either the right chow came along or the right chow was returned.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Michelle, I realize it is disappointing when you think you have found your next chow and it doesn't work out. However, the number of homeless chows is daunting. Smokey is now in rescue and safe. That is an accomplishment in and of itself.

There are and will continue to be other chows available for adoption. And the members on this site will be willing to help you find your chow, assist with transport, to offer help and advice when you need it and to ooh and aah over your chow pictures.

Yes there are strong personalities here, but it takes a strong personality to raise a chow. You have to be able to out stubborn a chow to teach desired behavior. And note that the stronger the personality, the more passionate about chows the individual seems to be. And that, to me, makes it possible to overlook a lot.

We'd love to hear about Cocoa and see some pictures as well. Tell us what you are looking for in a chow and we will help you look.

In the end this site has a lot to offer and I'd hate to see you dismiss it because Smokey did not end up with you.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

yes Michelle,its true Smokey isn't coming but in the last few months do you know how many chowboys have been in shelters in New England?there were and are many more that need homes.please do not give up hope.
and yes,many of us know just how expensive medical costs are.so you have to be prepared once you do adopt because we never know whats going to come up with health issues.
I know theres a chowboy just waiting for you and Cocoa.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".