Chows: Do you trust yours off-lead?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows: Do you trust yours off-lead?

Post by Sahara91 »

Out of interest, who on here would or do trust their Chows off-lead (when not in an enclosed space)? I have heard many times that Chow Chows are not trustworthy off-lead, so have been wary with Xhena. However, people I talk to while at the park (who are far more experienced than I am, though perhaps not with Chows) think I'm being paranoid and should just let her go. I was told today that the longer I leave it, then the worse it will be and it is best to get them used to it while still a puppy. I live in the UK, so there are no dog parks around - we have normal parks where most people let their dogs off-lead, but these parks go straight out onto main roads - no fences around them.

So, do you let your Chow off-lead? Do you feel you can truly trust them off-lead? Would be great to hear of others opinions and experiences.
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chows: Do you trust yours off-lead?

Post by Theo »

Actually, our Teddy was always on the lookout for an open door. He was a runner. As he got older, he couldn't run and stayed in the yard. He would venture out periodically to visit with the next door neighbors. We always had our eye on him!

I was leary about Titus. My husband has been working with him, and he actually stays very close to him while he's off the leash. I always tie him up.
I came home from work the other day, he greeted me, and was the first one to the front door!!!! =D=
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

We let Neelaa off her leash for the first time last week at the dog park (she just turned 10 months old). At first I don't think she realized she was free :lol: but then she started to run around a bit. We kept walking and she ran away from us toward the center of the park to play with a group of dogs, my DH started to panic a bit and wanted to run after her. I was quite calm though (what a role-reversal THAT was! :lol: ) and I just called her. She stopped, look up at us, and ran right toward us! She then sat down while I put her leash back on (experiment over for the day). That was the only time we let her off leash so far. I think though that if there are some dogs at the park that your chow gets along with and likes to play with ANDhas good recall with their owners, then that would probably be the best time to attempt it. At least with Neelaa, I notice she will hang around a group of dogs playing (that she likes) and wont stray too far from them.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

No, not me. I live by a busy Hwy and wouldn't trust mine off lead, if for nothing else but their own safety. I did however let my younger girl off lead in our other yard that has holes under the fence with the gate closed and she followed me and listened to my commands with come and sit etc. THEN she smelled a squirrel or cat not sure which, and she forgot all about me and tryed to squeeze under the fence. I feel for my girls own safety that on lead is always better for us and them. I wouldn't want to take a chance anywhere without a lead on. We don't have dog parks here either but even if we did, I still would have a lead on them. Not that I don't trust them but what about other dogs and people......I don't know if I trust them.....I like to have some control over a potential situation. So I guess it depends on WHERE...

Thanks Sweetpea!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

One squirrel,or bird,or cat and mine would take off.They can run arond in the fenced in back yard,would never walk them off leash,ever.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I would never let my two off lead..heck I check on them in the fenced in backyard.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Well, up until recently I would trust Chi-Ching off leash without a problem. He doesn't have any recall problems but this latest issue with cats has gotten me a little more wary. I think if we were on a walk and I knew there was no cats around(we live by wheatfields), I would trust him to run off but come when I call him. He has been working on it since he was a puppy. He has shown no interest in other animals up until our cats recently..... I don't think he would show any out of our yard but not knowing, I can't take a chance with someone elses animal....... so I would only let him off if we were out of town.
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I barely trust Buddha ON a lead! One glimpse of a cat and I'm toast :shock: DH doesn't like me walking him for that reason, so he always goes w/ us, and holds the leash. He has gotten loose twice, and I've calmly walked toward him and gotten a hold of him, but no way would he ever be off a lead voluntarily.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

No Way. Butters would bolt off lead.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My Chow has really never given me any reason not to trust her off leach, she won't go to far away from me and most of the time she will stop and won't move until I put her leash on, HOWEVER I wouldn't trust her butt for a second outside with out a leash. No matter how much you think your Chow is under control or how well you think you have it trained anything can happen and it only takes a split second.

My advice, never, ever outside on the streets with out a leash.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

When Gracie was younger I worked with her on being off leash, she was wonderful. But one windy day a leaf blew by her and she took off chasing it. She was running down the middle of the road chasing a stupid leaf! She couldn't hear me. It wasn't that she was ignoring me, it was just she was so into catching that leaf at that moment, she was clueless to anything else around her. That ended our training.

If the time and place was right, I think Gracie could be trusted. Anytime she's gotten out she doesnt go anywhere, she always sticks close. BUT, if she seen a squirrel, rabbit, cat, or any other critter and be gone in the blink of an eye. Another thing I'm certain she'd do is, if she decided she wanted to go for a walk she'd just take off walking and wouldnt wait for me. I just dont totally trust her.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily will run off leash. She has about a half mile perimeter she stays in, she does not run off, persay, and she will eventually come back. I would not want her getting into trouble though, and she only will recall when she feels like it. My other girl Pip stays right in the yard, with an occasional visit next door. She comes when called. I feel that is her Lab half, not the Chow half.
chris

Post by chris »

Do I trust my Chow off lead.... ummmmmm.... "WHAT ARE YOU INSANE?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I am always afraid to let them off the leash,but I work with them for months and then at the dog park (its not fenced in) I leave a 15 ft leash on them so I can step on it if they try to run.Kai is very good at the park,he plays with everyone and he has a girlfriend there,so I've been able to take off his leash so he can play.Chyna No Way!she just wants to run back to the car.
out of 6 chows my male Tiko was the only one that I could completely trust.he was a mommas boy and always stayed with me. :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have had alot of people question if I ever worry about Pip running off. At Chowfest, Pip was the only one off-leash on both days. The second day, we hiked down to a river. I let Pip off lead, except when other hikers (not in our group) came by, because dogs were supposed to be on a lead. After I hooked Pip up a dozen times, Sharon told me I should not even bother, because Pip stayed right in our party. I even tried leaving the lead on her dragging, but was worried she would get tangled and hurt herself.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Never! Cinder would chase every squirrel, rabbit and cat and we live four blocks from the highway. Teddy gets lost in the fenced in yard, can't imagine him wandering around without a leash.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

I allow Mishka to walk off leash, started to do it quite recently. Before I was afraid even think about it.
I never do it on busy streets, only on trails and inside parks. But sometimes I even let him to cross some quiet street off leash if there are no cars around and there is good visibility. In this case I play a pantomime around: stop him with hand sign then exagerate how I look to the right and to the left and then allow him to go.
I want to expose him to different situations. Everething can happen it's better if he at least partially ready.
Do I trust him? No I don't. I wrap leash around his body to easy catch it if neccessary. At any moment I'm ready to run and I can run quite fast.
Do I expect to come whenever I call? No I don't. But at least I see that he tries to keep contact with me.
Mishka and his family
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Depends on where we are but yes I let both of mine off the leash a little bit during our walks. They usually go to the bushes to do their business and come right back. Sometimes they'll chase a cat but the cat usually runs the nearest tree so I can just grab them and go. Cara sometimes I let off leash the entire walk. I can let her out of my sight and she always comes back to me. Haley is a different story. I follow her very closely... lost her twice but she knows to wait by the front door when she realizes she's lost me. We live in an enclosed community so I'm not afraid they'll get hit by a car or get hurt.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Never, ever in a billion years :shock: will Sid EVER be off-leash in a non-fenced environment. Sid would bolt and bolt fast, I just know it! Then... as soon as he got out of my sight he would turn around, realize I wasn't there and freak out. Did I say "never?".. :)
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

NO WAY!! =; :shock: Holden's a runner and there ain't no stopping him once he's going!

Hannah hasn't been very trustworthy as of yet so I'm thinking she's not going to get too many chances to show her true colors...
ImageImageImage
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Whenever I hear this brought up, I remember what the K-9 officers of St. Paul say about this; (they have been the champion K-9 group in the US several times), what they said is that all dogs have a zone while they are in that zone they will respond to you and obey, but if they run out of that zone, all they are thinking about is what they are chasing, you become an after thought. That's why you'll often see them with the long leads on their partner and why most of the human K-9 officers are in pretty good shape, it's from chasing their canine partners. Even the best trained dog with the calmest demeanor can become excited or frightened and run off, and you have to know that they are faster than humans, and can dissappear in the blink of an eye.

I also remember a tale I read a long time ago as a very young child; the tale began with the question of which was sadder a lost child or a lost dog. In the story it is the lost dog that is the sadder of the two. People will stop for a child, and ask it he/she is lost, especially if they are young and crying. Only a few people will stop to try to help a dog, (usually other dog owners), the rest will run them off, throw things at them, try to hurt them, and all kinds of other cruel nasty things.

My feeling has always been if you truly care for your canine companion you will make certain to have them safe at all times, and safe when you're out on the public street or part means being on a leash with a secure collar or halter.

My answer to your question is no...even Mingtoy who would come back and stand still off leash, was always on leash, and all the others are/were also always on leash.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Answer: No!! Absolutely not!

As Victory mentions in her post, Kodi (definitely) has a "zone" and it's easily triggered to dart off after something. I've had 3 episodes of her running away from me (none in the past 2 years gratefully!). I can't believe I didn't learn MY lesson after the 1st time.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

YES, in the right circumstances! I trust Millie & trusted Milo but Alf, i'm not so sure of yet. I work them really really hard on long lines etc for ages before i decide about it though. However, I have them on leash more than off as it's polite & the law here. I let them off in the woods etc but work a lot on calling them back to me then letting them go again so they don't associate coming to me with the end of all fun Millie will chase critters but doesn't go too far & although there is a definate 'zone' for her she will stay close by. I do think that growing up with a lab mix made her listen far more though..... Funnily, I DON'T trust them to walk to the Jeep from the house without a leash..... go figure!
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think we forgot the number one answer, Its the Law, at least in CA it is. All dogs must be on leash and 6ft at that but I use a 26' retractable. The town sheriff dosn't seem to understand when I tell him a Chow is not a dog so like they say, don't argue with a guy that has a gun.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I used to let Ivana off leash. I had to keep an eye on her because if she thought I was not looking she would go follow some scent or follow a bug or just go mark everything....

I have not let her off leash since I left the states, but that has more to do with me than with Ivana. Now Ziyear could not be let near an open window let alone off leash. Ivan was the same way. Both had no problem running off. They would eventually come back, in the meantime I was dying in axiety. So I think you would have to make up your mind. Do you have a safe seemingly open area, but that is really closed in that you can test it out? I would never do it near streets or crowded areas, but in parks or schools, hiking trails etc. it can be fun for you both.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!