Fire at Rocket Dog rescue?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fire at Rocket Dog rescue?

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I just came across this posting on Craigslist. Hopefully Jenn or Lou can verify if this is not true and remove my posting if it isn't. They both foster through this rescue so they may know more about this. Below is the posting.

A fire this morning killed three foster dogs and a parrot at Pali's house. There is an urgent need for immediate foster homes, dog food, blankets, and donations. Pali and Rocket Dog Rescue need help right now. Please call Val at (415) 846-4735 or John at (415) 370-6900. To arrange for pick-up or drop off of dogs or items. Any donations can be sent to FIRE EMERGENCY FUND For Rocket Dog Rescue at P.O. Box 460826, San Francisco, CA 94146. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP OR ASSISTANCE YOU CAN OFFER.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Hell! :(
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh no! I'm at work and have not heard any news today. Pali's home... that would be awful! Jenn's probably busy doing her best to organize. I'll give her a call and report back.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

I just spoke with Val (to verify the mailing address for donations was correct). She says Pali was away from the house, on her way to work, called by a neighbor about the fire back at her home. I didn't want to disturb Val too much by asking any more details. She thinks John may post more in the way of updates wherever he posted before.

Please DONATE!!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Has anyone heard anything more about this?
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

where do I donate?
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

You can make a donation on http://www.rocketdogrescue.org/donate/index.html

there's a donate tab.

Thanks!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Hi All -

Sorry I haven't been here before this. The RDR volunteers have been running like crazy trying to keep things together, and find foster homes for dogs we have committed to take from shelters before all this happened. PLUS...it's the holidays, just to make matters a BIT more complicated...argh!

There was a fire at Pali's on Friday around Noon. She has been gone from her house about 30 minutes when an electrical fire broke out in her bedroom. No one is exactly sure what caused it but we suspect 1) old old old wiring and 2) surges from all the Xmas lights folks use in their homes this time of year.

One of the dogs who perished was Guthrie. He was an old guy, probably part chow, who was found on Highway 5 the day after Thanksgiving. He was blind in one eye and arthritic, and he didn't make it out of Pali's house. He was a sweetie guy, and every time I think about him, it just makes me cloud up.

Pali's dogs are safe and in boarding. She is staying at a place called Kosita's, which is a grooming shop but used to be a home. There is a bedroom and a bathroom for her to use, and she can have her dogs with her there.

If there is a positive to all this, it's that 1) Pali wasn't home when this happened. Knowing her, she would have compromised herself in order to get the animals out, and 2) there has been a tremendous response to her plight. People have come out of the woodwork with very generous offers to help.
I think Karen posted the link to the story on SF Gate. The writer did a pretty good job. Take a look if you can.

We're all very grateful for everything everyone has done, including those cc.org members who reached out. You've no idea how much it means to Pali and all of us. Thank you.

A very Happy Holiday to everyone, and health and happiness in the new year and beyond.

xoxoxo,
Jenn
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Bump. If one of the kind members who have offered to donate to Lakota would make a donation here instead, it sounds like their need is greater at the moment. Rocket Dog does great work, and helping one rescue is like helping them all.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I emailed Laura. Does anyone know if she has a paypal account? I am sure she is busy and don't know how often she can check her email right now.