Trouble in Paradiise

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jerseyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Trouble in Paradiise

Post by jerseyp »

It's been a while since I've been here and all is not well. Nala had her second fibrocartilaginous embollism (spinal stroke) and at 14 she is not nearly as strong as she was when she had her first one at 8. She's had a long hard recovery and with the help of a hot tub, a life vest with a handle (so I can hold her in place when she swims in the hot tub), prednisone and her bravery - she is able to walk a few hundred feet, goes to the bathroom outside and has a great appetite.She will not go gently into the good night. Some may feel sorry for her as she drags her hind leg somewhat, but I am proud of her fighting spirit.
Ty has also had his trouble. If anyone remembers, Ty is a big hunter (and often times killer of four-legged critters that aren't canine). A friend of mine took him for a walk in the woods with his dog while I was at work. On the way out of the woods, Ty scented, tracked and chased down a deer with his dog right behind him. My friend said they took down the deer (about a hundred pound doe) and did a lot of damage (from the injuries described by my friend, the deer has little chance to live). Ty being the bigger, faster and stronger of the two dogs did the most damage but both dogs egged each other on. It was also next to impossible to get both dogs off the deer. The dogs ran the deer to the edge of the woods behind a a huge mansion in a rich subdivision and an irate man called the police and game commission. We were lucky to get off with a warning notice sent to us (which was mainly to appease the irate man because both the police and game commission did not want to take action). Needless to say, Ty is only walking with me and although we still walk off leash, I have changed the rules and am a lot stricter about where he goes and how far he wanders. I guess I never did see anyone write that owning a chow is easy. However, the chow in them is my favorite part - all the full goldens and labs are boring and predictable. So now I'm taking the good with the bad and cutting my losses.
Nala showing some affection.
Ty and his girl Meary - AKA Bonnie and Clyde
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Owning a Chow is definitely not easy! But they're worth it.

How did Ty get out to chase the deer down if you weren't home? I would have been terrified if Holden did something like that. At least the boys are ok after that ordeal but I do have to say... that poor deer :(
ImageImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Poor Nala, I am glad she has you as a dad, you certainly are doing what you can for her. I

David
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Sounds like something my girls would do,as swwet as they are with us,they turn into friggin onsters once ther are inside and there's no reasoning with them once they feel "something needs killin'!!!!)
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Jersey, Nala looks very content there with you. You are a good Dad. Hope her recovery goes smoothly, that's where the chow stubbornness pays off.

The only animals I don't call Sophie back from are the squirrels, and it's going to be an awkward moment when she delivers one up to me, spits it out at my feet, and expects me to deliver it back to her roasted, with an apple in its mouth.
Hope Ty can lay low from the law from now on and restrict himself to the peskier, less adorable critters. People are touchy about their deer, my mom has all of hers named.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

ciaobella wrote: The only animals I don't call Sophie back from are the squirrels
Why squirrels?

I think they're adorable! I like to let Holden chase them (we even got a squirrel feeder for his mental stimulation!) but I never let him out until I know the squirrel will be able to run up the tree or fence before he can get to them. Poor little guy never has a chance to catch em! :lol:
ImageImageImage
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Chow Chow Mama wrote: the squirrel will be able to run up the tree or fence before he can get to them.
that's why
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Oh, ok. I thought you meant you liked them to catch the squirrels.

I feel bad if Holden gets any wild animal. Well... I wouldn't have felt bad if he killed that stinkin' possum that bit Tucker! But I digress...
ImageImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I'm sorry to hear about Nala.
It is so tough.

My Sullivan is the queen
leaf catcher -- that's always
been her favorite thing (the
one thing she can catch),
though I also call her a bug
jumper because she likes to
bury her nose in the ground
to catch bugs, and then
jump (or did jump) as if to
pounce on the bug.

Gilbert caught a vole once
yuck. Charlie just
imitates what the others do,
including copying the bug
jumper.
courtsey of Sweetpea
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Late one rainy night we came home from a wedding, dressed appropriately (me in a dress and heels and DH in his suit and tie) and let out the chows (Tasha and Cinder, at the time). I was in the house watching them out the window, when they both took off at full speed to the back corner of the yard???? Next thing I know they have a rabbit. One has the neck in her mouth and the other the back legs and they are shaking it together!!!!

Instantly, a mental picture of them fighting over the prize comes to mind and I'm sprinting out into the muddy yard in my heels. (No mean feat, I tell you). And yelling for DH to come quick. I reached them and managed to bring my voice down a few octaves from shrill and said "leave it" in my best obedience trained voice. To our surprise they both dropped it and I was able to grab it (definitely dead) and toss it over the fence as they stared at me in disbelief (hey, that's ours not the neighbor kids!!!). Surprisingly enough they neither tore it in half or fought over it. And I left it to DH to dispose of the remains as I marched two bloody black chows to the bathroom.

What a wonderful ending to a romantic evening out! Kneeling on the bathroom floor bathing two chows. And to add insult to injury, they are both blowing coat.

This is not the only critter my chows have caught, just the only one they cooperated on killing(and the best story).
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

We are keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Hannah, Dennis and Pudding