Factual forum or Chit Chat forum?

Post by kiwani »

Re: "where is Willow anyway???"

On another forum
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Really......why??? She doesn't love us anymore??? I didn't know they had other forums :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I think she's been involved with the other forum all the while she's been here. The other forum has more fact-based serious discussion of issues and moderation, while this one has grown into more of a chit-chat group.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

"Chit Chat" ???

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I don't think of this site as being about chit chat at all! I've gathered some very good advice here.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
kingalls

Re: "Chit Chat" ???

Post by kingalls »

zingara_princepessa wrote:I don't think of this site as being about chit chat at all! I've gathered some very good advice here.
Actually, the "chit chat" is what makes this site fun :lol: The site is very diverse. Many post their personal experiences about the different topics - which is great! because it helps us relate better and feel like we have a connection and real support in handling our own situation. Sometimes the opinions and advice can get poloarized but I personally appreciate the all the advice I can get.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kingalls wrote: Actually, the "chit chat" is what makes this site fun :lol: The site is very diverse. Many post their personal experiences about the different topics - which is great! because it helps us relate better and feel like we have a connection and real support in handling our own situation. Sometimes the opinions and advice can get poloarized but I personally appreciate the all the advice I can get.
THE FACT IS... this site has not *grown into* a more chit-chat group. It's simply always been more informal and offers a familial way of communicating opinions and advice. And is far more forgiving in its moderation than other sites I've been on and heard about.
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I agree. If it weren't for the social aspect, this site would not be so popular. I have made real friends here, even though Jeff will tell you this isn't a site for making friends or love connections. He is right, it's not. But, isn't that a nice side effect? And as far as the medical and behavioral topics, I think our membership is top notch at answering questions.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I can't even begin to tell you how much helpful information I have gotten and used from this site. Not to mention helping me to rescue Kyra. Where would she be now if not for this site and the members on it???? All the way from Diet to Surgery, behavior, fencing, training.......the support we get from each other in raising our BEAUTIFUL Chows is the best part. Yup, the chit-chat is there........but HOW BORING it would be if this site only had medical and behavioral info. on it!!!
Yup top notch at answering questions even simple ones.
Yes, nice side effect Auddymay :wink:

Thanks Sweetpea!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

THE FACT IS... this site has not *grown into* a more chit-chat group. It's simply always been more informal and offers a familial way of communicating opinions and advice. And is far more forgiving in its moderation than other sites I've been on and heard about.
Oh yeah... double underlined bold large letters and many exclamation marks... YUP. chowchowHoflinL was completely deleted because of the flaming on there. Kinda like when I was being flamed here... but fortunately it wasn't me being flamed then.. wheww lucky me. ;-) The folks there I think if they had been within driving distance of each other would have gone and hurt the other people. It was nasty. gosh there are quite a few other lists you have to apply for membership and if you don't agree with every last bloomin person on the list (like how I don't like what most show chows have become) they boot you. No new oppinions welcome. Stagnant. You go in say your pleasantries, see all the pupppies that a person has, say how nice they are. Talk about your wins or losses at a show, talk about a hot spot, if you dare, because god forbid your chow EVER gets them. then you get loads of boohoos when your chow dies sooooo young... and then 3 days later its all forgotten about...
Even though I have been blasted from here to kingdom come on this list, I love this list. I love SOOOO many people on here. I have come to like some of the people who I really wanted to throw flaming dog poop at initially. ;-) If this was so bad, I wouldnt waste the precious time I have on here.
SO I in typical Carla long winded style say I agree this list is great! and chit chat isn't a bad thing. I don't get much chit chat where I am at. so something other than dora the explorer, thomas and friends etc, is so welcomed. ;-)
Oodles of hugs :-)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Having been here after coming from the old site I can say that the site has been this way for a very long time...maybe in the beginning of the old site it was more formal and informationally based, but for the last 10+ years it's been a combination of chit-chat, and facts.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "but HOW BORING it would be if this site only had medical and behavioral info. on it!!!"

People frequent other forums where their needs and interests are better met. That's one reason why specialty forums exist. What's boring to some, is of great interest to others. To each his own.

Before the paw ranking system went into effect here, this was a smaller group, and a slower board. After the paw ranking system, membership grew, and some started posting as if there were a great race or competition to rack up ranking numbers. Some members left then, because there was a high noise to signal ratio. People leave for various reasons.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Victory wrote:Having been here after coming from the old site I can say that the site has been this way for a very long time...maybe in the beginning of the old site it was more formal and informationally based, but for the last 10+ years it's been a combination of chit-chat, and facts.
I also wanted to add to Victory's post that on the older version of this site, there was a volunteer veterinary doctor that members could pose questions towards to seek a professional's answer and that doctor had a separate section on the site. The forum has always been informal and casual for its members. Like the theme from the TV show "Cheers"... where everybody knows your name (and personal e-mail address)!

I really doubt if the paw ranking system is a basis for people to compete on this forum. And the paws is not a "ranking system" to determine why and when membership rises and falls. For pete's sake, unless you are actually data mining that is an assumption.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Been here almost two years, and I'm still waving two paws in the air.
What a slacker.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Sometimes quality counts for more than quantity, Ciaobella. :D
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I really doubt if the paw ranking system is a basis for people to compete on this forum. And the paws is not a "ranking system" to determine why and when membership rises and falls. For pete's sake, unless you are actually data mining that is an assumption."

I never claimed that the paw ranking system determined "why and when membership rises and falls". I always considered it a post count meter.

http://www.chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic ... ht=ranking
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kiwani wrote: Before the paw ranking system went into effect here, this was a smaller group, and a slower board . After the paw ranking system, membership grew, and some started posting as if there were a great race or competition to rack up ranking numbers. Some members left then, because there was a high noise to signal ratio.
kiwani wrote:I never claimed that the paw ranking system determined "why and when membership rises and falls". I always considered it a post count meter.

Your words, Kiwani. Not mine. It's about what you wrote on this thread not months back. It's the here and now. However, if you want to quote your words from the link you provided, the word you used then was "guess" now you say "always considered" - different words, different meanings.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Once again, I never claimed that the paw ranking system determined "why and when membership rises and falls". In itself, it's just a post counter. It was put in place when the administrator made some changes to the board. The behavior of some members posting a flood of drivel to up their numbers is what determined why some others left back then.

If you knew me in real life, you'd know I use the word 'guess' mostly to be polite.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kiwani wrote: The behavior of some members posting a flood of drivel to up their numbers is what determined why some others left back then.
Again, this is an assumption of yours. I know of members who told others members in private they didn't enjoy what at that time they defined as "cliques". Others would define that as "friendship". Nonetheless, it did not drive those members to leave. It allowed them to find a place on the site to shine. That I know for a fact. Another fact is the "flood of drivel" you are describing is not what members were leaving about, it was the disrespect that was occuring and the fighting and arguing on specific posts. When the energy of the site is negative, that is when members are not proud to be a part of it and would prefer to take a break. And just because people don't post does not mean they have permanently left. Chances are they are checking in. Take yourself for an example. Twice you've written that you are through with the site, but twice you've bounced back.

Since I'm at it, you write: "The other forum has more fact-based serious discussion of issues and moderation"
You know, you were once a moderator. You had the ability to steer the course of this site. However, you chose not to collaborate and you chose to follow your own conditions when you could have made a the difference in the moderation of the site. Once again, you are assuming that the moderators don't have serious discussions and base their actions on FACT. We take a view of the entire picture and do not narrow ourselves (to coin a phrase by you) to "brain farts" that are posted by members.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The paws are such a non issue. Some people gained paws quickly, mostly because they are chatty people. There was some tongue in cheek kidding about one word posts to up the count, but it was never a serious thing. If there are things I don't consider worthy of my attention, I simply ignore it. People come and go for a variety of reasons. Anger over content is only one of many.

Some of us are open books, others are locked down tight. The key is mutual respect. Not easy to do when someone is goading you- I have not always been a good example. I do strive to understand where others are coming from, but that is part of my psychic (spiritual) evolution. There is room here for all of us.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Again, this is an assumption of yours."

My statement was based on private conversations.

Re: "...you chose not to collaborate and you chose to follow your own conditions..."

I've already posted my explanations and reasons on the board. My time offline and my e-mail communication is reserved for my own work, and not to this site's social problems. I suggested that there be a moderator's forum and 'log' on this site. I'm not an emotional thinker, and don't believe that moderators should fan the flames, or show favoritism as they have. I'm used to working alone and I don't miss being a moderator.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kiwani wrote: I've already posted my explanations and reasons on the board. My time offline and my e-mail communication is reserved for my own work, and not to this site's social problems. I suggested that there be a moderator's forum and 'log' on this site. I'm not an emotional thinker, and don't believe that moderators should fan the flames, or show favoritism as they have. I'm used to working alone and I don't miss being a moderator.
Yes you did and that is fine. Not very many members would like the position of being a moderator. I have asked many members who have PM'd me on this cause or that cause what they would do if they were a moderator and the resounding answer has always been "I've been a moderator on a different site and I don't miss being one." So you are in good company and common thought in that respect, Kiwani. However, first and foremost I am a member and if you believe a moderator should not be a member with their own voice and be able to participate on threads and prefer a moderator to just sit back and observe, rather than be proactive, then this site would not be able to evolve in a healthy manor and with the vision the site was created. It would become a very static site.

It is a shame you are not an emotional thinker. You should branch out and experience it for a bit. You will see a whole new world come to you. I had a classmate in graduate school who was not an emotional thinker at all (spending his time as a biochemist and drug researcher, emotional thinking was the least of his concerns and definitely not a strong trait). But by the time we graduated, he had balanced his factual and analytical self with an emotional frame of thought and has transformed to be a very enjoyable person to be with, have conversations with and socialize. Before, you didn't know what the heck he was talking about! Never mind being asked to review his thesis. He didn't know how to communicate his thoughts in a casual or social fashion. Nonetheless, if you do or don't, it doesn't matter to me. I can disagree with you and the such but as the other members on this board, I do respect you.

Oh, btw, this exchange of dialogue (aka Chit-chat) between us interposing thoughts we considered as facts. Not so bad to be on a site that could function in that way.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Red Dragon wrote: I have to agree with Kiwani, there is a lot of noise on here, and it is more of a chat group rather than a source for quality information about the breed. I could see a person that was looking for good information on the breed searching other forums. Not that you guys are bad people, it's just a chatty group. :lol:
I'm glad you're finally chatting with us, Sam. All that CERF talk was well :roll:. I'm kidding. I'm sure it's useful to those that are seeking knowledge on all that. I did want to ask you a question. Do you see the site as just about the forum or do you see it as the entire site (including the articles and links)? I find the information on those tabs as a more research oriented source. And, if one has a specific question, the forum is a supplemental asset to the site.
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

Zhuyos mom wrote: And just because people don't post does not mean they have permanently left. Chances are they are checking in.
Yep, I'm one of them. I still check in almost everyday, depending on how busy I am, but I don't post anymore like I used to.
I've been trying to find a general forum, since I'm just a former chow owner, but they were all quite boring and very slow. Anyways, I'm glad this forum is the way it is.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "It is a shame you are not an emotional thinker. You should branch out and experience it for a bit."

You are confusing being devoid of emotions, with choosing not to be an emotional thinker. Emotional thinking has no place in being a moderator, because adrenaline is incapable of reasoning, incapable of regulating anger, and incapable of balanced thinking under stress.

The bashing frenzies on this forum are based in emotional thinking. Low levels of serotonin are linked with emotional thinking.

Excerpt: Emotional Thinking

"When people are emotional in any way, the limbic system begins to override neo-cortex processing, literally making us stupid...It is only once they have calmed down and their neo-cortex has fully come back online that they can explain the situation clearly.

As someone feels increasingly emotional, their thinking becomes increasingly black and white and locked into one perspective. This crude thinking tends to increase their emotional arousal, which in turn further diminishes their cognitive abilities."
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Red Dragon

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:51 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lou, there are some good articles for some basic information, I can't say that I have read them all, and had seen some on other sites, and some of the information out there is way outdated. Too many old wives tales too. When I got involved with these dogs and the people that breed them I did a lot of studying and checking people out, after a few years of this it all fell into place about how they got to the point they are now, and your average person would never be able to figure that out.

Not sure if Kiwani is including me in the bashers or not, all I am trying to do is get people to realize what is happening with the breed, and it's like I told someone on here, you couldn't drive that information in their head with a sledge hammer, so I have given up on all of that. Melanie can continue the battle, I don't have that much energy anymore.

There are a bunch of different types of forums out there for these dogs, and most of them were started for a purpose, that purpose was a place to advertise their dogs and show them off, then there are a couple that are just geared towards the show crowd so they can brag when they win and nip at each other. Those types of forums get their panties in a wad when any kind of health related issues are brought up with the dogs, the reason being, is they are all at fault and don't want to take responsability for their actions. This forum has a decent mix of everything, but I think it is lacking in enough people to share real world knowledge about the health of the dogs and how to get rid of the problems.

I kinda feel like a cop told me once when I got my van broken into, "we are just here to do the paper work so you can file a claim with your insurance", that kind of thing fixes nothing, your just trying to clean up the mess. I had a foolish notion a couple of years ago that I might be able to fix some of this stuff, but you can't, so you just make a difference in your own world and that has to be good enough.