Intelligence

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Intelligence

Post by chowwoman »

Does anyone who have tips on how to determine an intelligence level when a chow is still a pup? My first chow was a real brainiac and I assumed all chows were that smart! Then my next two were "average" dogs, I guess you could say.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Every chow here is intelligent, I think they all are. You just have to find what they value: a treat, a pet, a toy and use that to speak to them.

I don't believe in those intelligence tests or anything like that, I truly believe every animal is intelligent. In terms of training, it really is just a question of finsing what motivates them. If they aren't "getting" something it's because they don't yet undertsand what you want them to do (so try going back a step) or because they don't think it's worth their while... which in my book makes them too intelligent! :wink:
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowwoman »

Chowfrnd,
I absolutely love your photo signature! That little segment of the paw pad is precious! My first chowbaby was black and my next one is going to be (as soon as I find him!)!

(Maybe the black ones are the smarter ones! ;) )
chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowwoman »

Instead of beginning a new thread, let me ask here:

How many of your chows have earned a Companion Dog (CD) Obedience designation in the ring?
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

My cream chowling is too intelligent by far, so it's not just the blacks :lol: I had though that my cinamon mix was less so, but as Chowfrnd said, I hadn't found what motivated HIM. My two have very different motivating factors to learn, but once found, they both learn quickly.
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I just thought all Chows were brilliant. They certainly know how to train their "servants" that's for sure!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Chows vary in intelligence and also in "workability" (which could be defined as ambition to work .. *L*). While all dogs can be trained to a certain extent, some definitely catch on quicker than others. Of my three chows, I would consider Khana to be the brightest, Kylee close behind her, and Dora (who is my black one) the least able to learn quickly.

Just like humans, dogs will vary in intelligence levels. Sometimes it's hard to see because some very smart dogs are good at teaching their owners to NOT make them work. As far as pups go, I look for pups that are curious, outgoing, eager to approach and experience new things. I find that a curious mind is usually part of an intelligent mind.

On the obedience titles:

Kylee has earned CD's through AKC, CKC, UKC and ASCA; she's also earned an AKC CDX. She's got a schutzhund BH (a combination obedience/temperament test) and earned four agility titles too as well as her CGC.

Dora has one leg toward a CD but given her work ethic I doubt I'll continue with her. She also has two agility titles and her CGC.

Khana is the youngster - not yet three - and has just completed her third rally obedience title (RE), plus earned two legs toward her CD. I hope to complete the CD in October. Khana also has her therapy dog certification.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska