Back off, she's gonna Blow

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Back off, she's gonna Blow

Post by Auddymay »

Lily has started her shed in earnest. I have been picking up copious amounts of shed fur. I brushed her out last night, and had a second Lily sitting in the pile of fur I removed, it was that big. I thought given the amount I took off her, I would have stemmed the tide of that fur on the rug, but no, it still had quite a bit this morning when I got up (I vacuumed after the grooming). Has anyone else's Chow started to shed?
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I swear Tess never stopped this year. Her hair stayed thick and healthy, but she blew her coat in April/May...then again at the end of June/beginning of July...and now it appears to ready to be able to do it again. It appears to be growing in faster than it's falling out though. I can't wait for the winter coat to come back though. I miss the huge lion mane.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

It's funny, Sophie usually does the undercoat blow around June, but never did this year. I've raked a little more out than usual within the past few days, but it's nothing like what I usually have to deal with.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Yeap! LEO started shedding late last month. We took her to a new groomer last week. She is noticably thinner after a good brushing. When I booked I was asked how much she weighed and said 55lbs, and was quoted $55. Took her in the lady looks a her and says $75, went to pick her up and the lady tells me she needs to charge me more next time. I told her I'd rather pay the correct price there & then and worry about the next time when it comes. So it was $80, well $90 w/ tip. I told her I've got a bag full of LEO hair to someday make a sweater out of. She told me next time to remind her to keep the hair :D So, I've got a groomer who is not only good but sweet, cheaper than the old place tho need to book ahead. No wonder many of my fellow dog walkers recommend them..... Oh, and my dream matching sweater w/ LEO hair now has a better chance of actually happening...
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

PB's not blowing her coat, but this is a photo of what I brushed off her LEFT THIGH AND LEFT FRONT LEG ONLY on Friday in preparation for her walk-a-thon. I took the photo just for her album.
Once again, as reference, that is my size 5 pink slipper.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Wow!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Wow Lou! Are you sure she isn't doing her shed? That's a good size pile there! Miss PB is every bit as furry as Lily, maybe even more. I bet there was no moticable difference in her coat density. It's like the mystery of where missing socks go. It boggles the mind.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm not sure Millie ever really shed like you guys talk about. I got a bag's worth off her when I got home from holiday in June but since then it's just normal. Milo, he sheds continually!
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Nope. She's definitely not doing her shed. Just a typical day of brushing the Pooh Bear. I do sections each day and PB rests on Sundays. She's pretty fuffy. She was also formally groomed in July, so alot of what would be her shed was taken care of during the session. I always pay extra, extra time for brushing since I know she will need it.