Front Door

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Jeff, after an intensive training course followed by follow up training, I am finding we are still at stage 1 corrections. I know he knows what I want him to do because he does it if HE feels like it but most of the time he looks at me and if he could talk would say 'Yeah right'. :lol:
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Same here.The girls know what sit means.That only means they'll sit for a treat they really really like.If I make them sit before opening the door,how fast they'll sit depends on how bad they have to go.Come here works when I'm holding parmezan cheese,or a big steak,otherwise forget it.
If I say "bedtime" they both run into the crate,so it's not that they don't understand what I want from them,they're only just as stubborn as 2 year olds,lol.They'll walk on a leash oh so nice.They'll turn around and attack the leash if they need to go chase off anything too close to our yard.
Funniest breed I ever had,even my husky was easier to train.
Love em anyway,lol
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Desi, it's interesting that you say you're husky was easier to train as the obedience trainer we have just used, runs dog teams full of huskies and he has used the same training methods with us, I have come to the conclusion that Chowdren think that those rules are just for other breeds and they read from a secret rule book. :lol:
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

When my Sissy got her obedience certificate,the trainer admitted he never thought we'd pull it off,because huskies are so independent and not eager to please.What seemed a hars correction to all other dogs in class ,she didn't even notice.She did fine though,the toughest challenge being walking on a leash without pulling my arm out,my kids were 2 and 5 when I got her,so that part was really important to me.(juggling a stroller,a kid ,groceries and a dog can be quite complicated)
I don't think I'd want to try the same with two Chows,lol