Chewie's Surgery

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Chewie's Surgery

Post by Mandy »

Thank you all for your kind words!

Chewie went into surgery yesterday. His ACL was torn completely in half. Poor little pup! I went to visit him after work at the vet and he wined a little bit (I've never actually heard him whine before... it was SO sad,) sniffed me a whole bunch, and then promptly turned away from me. He was even more abrupt with my husband who brought him in for the surgery. And some people say that it is impossible for a dog to hold a grudge... I say they have never met a chow! He looked so pathetic with his back leg all shaved and all wrapped in blankets. He snuffed me a little more before I left. It broke my heart to leave him there! They did say they think I can take him home today. I'm going to call for another update as soon as they open this morning. The surgery went really well and they were able to repair everything they were supposed to.

On a happier note, my vet and all the vet techs told us again that Chewie is the most delightful friendly Chow they have every met and the vet actually said that he is not only the easiest chow they've ever worked with - but the easiest DOG they've ever worked with! They said they have a lot of dogs like labs who will lick and cuddle etc. but no one listens, behaves and is as calm as chewie through all of the procedures. I was SO proud of him. He is growing up to be such a GOOD boy! We are so lucky to have gotten this wonderful little guy as a pup.

Thanks for listening to me rant... and rave!

I'll let you know when he comes home!

Thanks again everyone for being here for me and all of your thoughtful comments.

Mandy & the sweet gimpy Chew
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

So glad Mandy, I bet you will be glad to get him home and what a good boy he has been showing exactly what a Chow Chow can be like. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Sending all Best Wishes for his health and recovery. I hope he never has to spend such time away from you ever again.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

So happy to hear the surgery went well and hope Chewie's recovery is quick!
Once he's home again, I'm sure he will give you many purple kisses.

Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Leaving your Chow over night or for a day or two has got to be tough, I was only ask once to leave Pekoe over night, not a chance, I said I guess you guys better start on Pekoe at 5 Am if you expect to be home by 5 because she's not staying or provide a bed, TV and some snacks because I will be staying also. no Problem she was out by noon. I left her in a Kennel once, that was the end of ever doing that again I was calling every minute to see if she was ok.

Glad to hear everything went great for Chewie.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Mandy...
I'm glad all went well for Chewie. I'm sure he will get over his grudge once you and your husband grovel at his feet for a few days. LOL You know how Royality loves groveling. :)
Koda goes to the vet this coming Saturday for his last booster shot and his rabies shot. Then he is done until I take him in, in February for the "neuter" thing. I know they are going to want to keep him overnight and it ain't gonna happen. When I took our male cat in there to get neutered, I took food also because I didn't want him getting sick eating a different food. Then I kept calling from work to see how he was. Finally the nurse told me, Nancy, he is doing really well. If you're that worried, come and get him and take him home, we know you'll keep an eye on him. So I spent my lunch hour picking Lucky up from the vet's, taking him home (in a different town), leaving him with my daughter and then going back to work. I worked evenings then. My plans for Koda are... drop him off on my way to work on a Friday morning before 8 and pick him up when I get off work at 4:30. He is NOT staying and then I will be home with him for the weekend. So they had better get done what they have to do early and Koda ready to leave with me. They have NO choice. :)
Nancy and Tai

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

He's home with me. I begged them to let him come home and they did. He spent about 3 hours tonight crying trying to chew on his leg. He has a cone on and is just so pathetic looking. I don't have any kids yet... and I don't know how I'm going to have one. Listening to Chewie cry for that long killed me. I laid on the floor with him petting him, scratching him, comforting him and all I wanted to do was cry. I am such a wimp. Finally I helped him get comfortable and then I baked some cookies (he is in the kitchen.) He laid down and finally quieted down. About 10 minutes ago, he fell asleep so I thought I'd give him some quiet time.

At least he's home.

He's got about 1 week of rest and then we start rehab.

My poor little pup.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Didn't they send you home with some pain meds? When Zhu had his major tumor removal, his oncologist sent him with some pain meds (liquid stuff). I didn't notice how uncomfortable he became after what they gave him prior to my picking him up wore off mid-morning. I didn't admister any of the meds to him until we woke up that morning. He couldn't lie down and whined when he tried. He was so tired and wanted to sleep. So I sat down on the floor and let him rest on my side till he fell asleep. We both woke up in the same position. Then I gave him the pain meds because I didn't want him to hurt/feel pain/suffer. I only had to give him one dose. His recovery was fast. So I feel for you. You're doing a wonderful job as Chewie's mom and personal nurse... petting him and comforting him soothes him. He'll feel better in no time.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm glad Sweet Chewie is home and did so well. I bet Cay is glad he's home too. He will recover fast being young and healty otherwise, but in the meantime, here's sending Chewie a cyber nylabone...lol (something to keep him busy besides watching Animal Planet).
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so glad he is home Mandy and please don't fret - he will soon be feeling better.
I know that crying in pain is heartbreaking - but it will get better. :)
Give him a hug from me.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

They did give him pain meds. I had to wait until 9pm to give them to him. Once he got them, he calmed down a little bit. Last night wasn't too bad. He slept until 11 then I took him out to try to potty. He cried a little when he came back in but fell asleep within a half hour. He only woke us up twice - the first time, I think he just wanted some cuddles, second time needed to go out. But this morning when I left for work he just kinda looked at me from his cone to say "why me?" with those sad little chow eyes. We have him baby gated off in the kitchen & we left enough room in there for Cayenne to sleep near him if she wanted. She slept right next to the gate all night. She doesn't get it at all why she can't play with him and why he keeps crying. It started her up last night too. Hopefully today will be better. I'll post a pic of his shaved little leg later just in case anyone else needs this kind of surgery and wants to know what happens.

Thanks again for all of your support!

Mandy
Last edited by Mandy on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CenTexChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CenTexChows »

Mandy, Im sorry to hear what happen to Chewie. Im not often on this board, I just read what happen. Chewie reminds me of my Zeus, since they look alike. Im glad to hear he is doing well. Hang in there and We wish Chewie good luck to a speedy recovery.

-Mark (Andromeda & Zeus)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Thanks Mark!
Tonight was tough again. Chewie started pacing about the time I got home - about three hours from the next meds - he would go from one side of the kitchen, fall down trying to get to his leg, hop to the other side, fall down again... I tried to hold him, scratch him anything I could think of and he would calm down for a few minutes but he just kept getting more and more agitated. I tried to put him in a crate to keep him from moving so much - I was afraid he would hurt himself - but that just made him more upset. I called my vet beacuse I wanted to give him his meds early- he said it was fine and to call him back at home if in an hour he didn't calm down. He didn't so I called my vet at home. He decided to give to give Chewie a sedative to calm him down and get him some rest. He went back to the office (at 7pm at night!) and got me a perscription. What an awesome vet. I popped that pill in his mouth and within 20 minutes he was nodding. I just went upstairs and he just picked his head up to look at me and almost smiled... if they can smile... Finally he can relax. Not that I really think you should drug up your chow, but what a relief. both for him and me.

I think I need a nap.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Mandy,
Hang in there! I'm sure it's tough to see Chewie so uncomfortable. When I had Shiloh spayed, I slept downstairs with her. Didn't get any sleep but felt that was the least I could do while she was in recovery.

Karen
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Good news... my sweet boy slept through the night! When I got up this morning, he picked his head up (still in that cone!) and purred at me. Yeah! I know he's still uncomfortable but he ate his whole bowl of food this morning. I can't wait until we can take that thing off his head.

Hopefully the rest of the day will go this well.

thanks again everyone.

Mandy
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Mandy, that is such happy news. :)

It will only get better now!

Please give him a hug for me. And purple kisses from M & M.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Mandy - I'm so happy to hear that Chewie is starting to feel better. I saw your picture; the incision looks great! Nice and clean. Please keep us up to date with Chewie. Give him purple kisses from us.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

He'll be 'happy dancing' before you know it :)

Give him our love, and tell him we're all cooing over him.