Stupid question: How do I get him to give paw???

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Gamma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stupid question: How do I get him to give paw???

Post by Gamma »

My chow is about 14 weeks old now, and he is my first one. Sam mastered the "sit" within an evening, and now does it quite obediently whenever he has any reason to suspect that he might be in the draw for some treats, but I have no idea to how to teach him to give paw. Can anybody help?

Also, he does bite when he starts playing, and up to now we thought it is because he does not know better. Is the best way to deal with it to use the harsh "No", which he does understand, and then ignore him if he does not listen?
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Hi,

You may want to use the 'search' button at the top of the page to search for 'teaching bite inhibition' a great post by Victory that works really well for mouthing / nips

I taught my chowling 'paw' by asking her to sit, then gently taking a paw in my hand & shaking it (like shaking hands) before replacing it on the ground whilst saying 'good paw' repeat a few times with a treat & she was offering a paw pretty quickly :D
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I did the same thing as laya for the paw thing worked like a charm. He even now knows the difference in shake and high-5!!.

Butters was a little rough as a puppy with his mouthing as well, but I think you will find a ton of great training methods if you search through here.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Put a piece of cheese in your hand and your Chow will roll over and play dead then turn 3 flips in the air and land on its two front paws doing a hand stand.

put a piece of cheess in your hand, show him the cheese then tap on the chest above the paw you want to shake, that paw will come up in about 2 trys. Its best to use Give me 5 or high 5 instead of shake becouse Chows do know the differace, when I say shake to Pekoe she shakes to get the dirt and leafs off of her, give me 5 she raises her paw but don't expect the paw to come up every time you say give me Five or high 5, not a chance on that one.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

My chow, Tsunami, naturally used her arms/paws to investigate things or play.

To teach her to paw we simply held somethign out in front of her and she'd paw it. Our hand or otherwise.

Once we got her started it was impossible to stop!

Maybe our Tsunami is a freak of nature but she likes her paws to be gently squeezed. So if we offer our hand she'll put her paw into it, expecting a squeeze. And then want another.
Gamma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gamma »

Thanx - Sam is doing great!
I had no idea that white chows actually exists - they are beautiful!
Sam is slowing but surely getting the paw thing, he looks at me as though I am compeltely stupid for asking him to give paw.
Have another question: Is it true that you are not suppose to bath them until they are 6 months old? In our part of the world, it is rain season, so if Sam goes out and about to explore, he becomes really dirty, and I need to get him cleaned up!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie was bathed before she even came to us (maybe at 10 weeks?) & gets so dirty that she gets a bath at lest every 2-3 weeks & has done since she was 11 weeks old. You need to be careful to get a gentle shampoo that will not irritate his skin. Others have never bathed or only bathe twice a year. It all depends on your chow & what you get up to. Millie loves to play in the sea, lakes, streams, dirt, mud etc etc so (IMO) be worse off left dirty :D
Thank you Elodie!