1st time Chow owner - 6 month old chow, little aggressive

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kampui
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kampui »

The breeder has an air conditioned kennel and the litters are raised indoors. They have over 40-50 chows and they all look very happy.
Grab wrote:Are the breeder's dogs raised in kennels? (noted the runs with doghouses) I'm not fond of any dog living outside, and Chows just seem to do better when inside with their families. Are the litters raised indoors or out in kennels?
Lise Carreno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lise Carreno »

I know that I am pretty late here to respond.

I am sorry and glad Chowder is home... sorry for you but glad if Chowder is happy.

Melanie - NEVER tired of hearing you say socialize. From the moment I got Mia until now - socialize is our mantra. You cannot understate the importance of socialization.

I am glad the breeder had airconditioning.

I am ashamed to say that I got Mia from a breeder that did not socialize his puppies, had shade but no airconditioning for them (we are in Hot-Lanta, georgia) and seemed to leave full food bowls around for I don't know how long. At the time, I looked at Mia and made a conscious decision to take her despite the fact that I wanted to turn and run from that breeder. I knew that the cost would be great. And, although I love her dearly, it is a lot of work to socialize her - a struggle every day.

I know that a lot of you will condemn me for putting money in a not-so-good breeder's hands - I am sorry.

In my defense, all of his dogs were happy and were not afraid of me at all. (Not even Mia's momma when I picked her up.)

Anyway, I truly understand your struggle. Sometimes it is too hard to get over a lack of socialization.
Mia
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You did best for you both in returning her. I hope she can go to a family with alot of experience raising Chows, but I suspect she will likely become part of their breeding program. Like I said before, she is probably great with the other Chows, and the pics seem to prove that out. In the next month, you may want to do some reading here, so you can avoid the pitfalls. I will also say, you will likely get strong opinions about your breeder. Do not take it to heart. The breeder did not do right by not socializing, and then letting her go to people without chow experience.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Male or female? Have you picked out a new name?
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Chowder is an absolutely stunning chow. What a beauty. I lost my chow after 11 1/2 years to cancer..that was Feb, this year. My heart aches for her still.