my letter to nike

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

my letter to nike

Post by Dogdad »

Here is my letter to Nike, please feel free to send your own

Recently Michael Vick was indicted for dog fighting and cruelity to animals. As long as he remains under contract for your company, I will no longer be purchasing your product. I am not a Peta member or a fanatic, I am however refusing to support a company that by sponsorship supports this type of behavior. I am sending this letter also to several friends and forums, in hopes that you get the message that support of this type of behavior and individual is not accetable. Since it is almost back to school time I will not be purchasing your brand for my children and as a coach, I will be sure to tell my team about ethics and what their purchases help support.

sincerely

David Hoffman

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?cp=USNS ... =nikestore on the bottom customer service
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That is an excellent letter David! I love how you told them about the forums and also about your role as a coach! Very well written!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

=D= =D= =D=

Thanks Sweetpea!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

David,
good for you...that is the way it should be for all the money "grubbing" endorsements!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Thanks for the link. I also sent them a letter. Here is a link to more actions that we can do.

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/animal_f ... an_do.html

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
vtxandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vtxandy »

D I T T O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Addidas!

Andy
In most loving memory of TINKER
12-4-1991 -- 12-21-2006
Our son, friend and teacher
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks Terrina, Oddly enough I haven't heard back from Nike. Just got this from Kraft

Thank you for visiting http://www.kraftfoods.com/.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. To address your concerns accordingly, I would like to inform you that Kraft currently does not have a relationship with Michael Vick.

In 2005, we did a seasonal football promotion with Michael Vick. Since most of our promotions change from year to year, our relationship with Mr. Vick ended when the promotion was over.

We truly value you as one of our loyal customers and encourage you to contact us again should you have anymore questions or concerns in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Kim McMiller
Associate Director, Consumer Relations
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Props to dogdad. You are doing an amazing thing, I will join in and send letters also. I just think you should know that you are making people at the very least think about this issue!!!! =D=
SweetPea Rocks!!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Terrina Harris wrote:Thanks for the link. I also sent them a letter. Here is a link to more actions that we can do.

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/animal_f ... an_do.html

Terrina
Thanks for the link, I sent them an e mail too and also e mailed the link to everyone that I know so they can send one as well.
Julia
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Here is the reply that I just received from Nike.

Terrina
Response (Michelle) - 07/23/2007 12:14 PM
Thank you for contacting Nike regarding Michael Vick.

Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick, and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent. We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen; therefore, we have not terminated our relationship. We have, however, made the decision to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V and related marketing communications. Nike will continue to monitor the situation closely and has no further comment at this time.

We appreciate that you took the time to contact us and your feedback will be passed along to the proper department.

Sincerely,

Nike
Thank you sweetpea!!

Post by Guest »

That is absurd that they are going to continue to use Vick as a spokesperson!! I will most defanately NOT be buying any of their products now or in the future!!! Maybe if they get hammered hard enough by the public about keeping him on they will reconsider :evil:

Julia
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

oooopppssss I forgot to log in before I sent that reply :oops: :oops:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There's nothing wrong with that letter from Nike, they did all they could do untill Vick has been found quilty, watch what happens if Vick is found quilty all Contracts will end. They also didn't say anything about using Vick as a spokes person. Nike has done all it can do for right now and they are doing it legaly. Nike's not a courtroom they can't say vick is quilty or not and if they did, Vick could walk away innocent. If all these companys started condeming him that would be the same as letting him walk away free, Vicks lawyers could climb all over that.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jeff is Correct, Nike doesn't want to get sued either, Keep up the pressure, If nothing else they may not renew him if he is found not guilty

David
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Jeff,

I suppose you are right but dog fighting is something that I absolutely abhore (I probably spelled it wrong but you get the idea) I live in a town where pit bulls are the norm and a lot of them are made to be aggressive by their owners. I am not condeming the race AT ALL but the people in the town that I live in for doing so. Dog fighting here is pretty big and it just disgusts me. I have personally fostered a few pit bulls that needed rescue and one in particular really bothered me. We didn't name her because we obviously were not going to keep her but she was very good with me and my kids but anytime Mike would get home she would growl and snap at him. We had 1 person in particular that came to look at her to give her a home and she went bolistic the second he walked onto our lawn. Him and I spoke for a little while the whole time with her jumping at him (on a leash of course) and barking wildly. This kid allready had one pit bull and said that he was very interested in taking her even after the way she behaved. This hit a nerve in me and I would not allow him to take the dog I had a pretty good idea what he had in mind especially after his remarks about how big her jaws were etc etc It just makes me sad to see people doing that to those poor animals. Sorry if you feel that I jumped the gun in regard to the letter from Nike and as I said you are probably right.

Julia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

No one likes animal fighting of any kind, all I am saying is for right now these companies are doing all they can do. The letters are great but for right now you can't expect them to do to much more and it has nothing to do with profits or endorsements. Vick would love nothing more then to have all these conpanies condem him before the trial.

No mattter how big Vick is dumping Vick won't put a dent in Nike's pocket they have plenty more where he came from. Nike actually went further then anyone else by stopping the production and reliese of his shoe. Vick has alot of endorsements, Nike was the first to react becouse of Nike not the public complaining to them. Don't worry about Nike they will do whats right, look up the hundreds of other endorsments and contracts what have they done..

Well that should be worth a free pair of tennis shoes. All these companies I endorse and I get nothing.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
MontanaXman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MontanaXman »

Send the same letter to the NFL, the TV networks, the Players Union and all the sponsors that support the game. Now is the time to send the message that we will not tolerate this type of behavior. Vick is currently not guilty of anything, but it's not too early to make our voices heard.

This whole thing makes me freakin sick.
MontanaXman
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The NFL is the main one to be sending letters, they are the ones that said publicly they have to consider the fans and the citizens of Atlanta before they can make a decision. The NFL are about the only ones that can make a decision right now and suspend him until this is over. The NFL are the ones that are worried about profits and fans not about whats right. They are the only ones that can react right now but don't.

ImageImage
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I completely agree with Jeff and a letter has allready been started. I sent an individual e mail to the Falcons also.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

MontanaXman wrote:Send the same letter to the NFL, the TV networks, the Players Union and all the sponsors that support the game. Now is the time to send the message that we will not tolerate this type of behavior. Vick is currently not guilty of anything, but it's not too early to make our voices heard.

This whole thing makes me freakin sick.
I agree, everyone who has a dog should be writing.

Dogdad
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Vick was told today not to report for practice and most likely won't be coming back until after the trial. For you Pita haters you can pretty much thank them for that.

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

=D= =D= =D=

Yeah!! the pressure from everyone is working

David

Post by Guest »

The way I understand it is that no matter what, worse case senario, Vick gets fired and walks away with a cool $15 million, not bad for a criminal. Nike is NOT pulling the product with Vick's name on it off the shelf. Arthur Blank said in the news conference that the maximum the club could fine him was 4 weeks suspension, that's a real deterent for the criminals playing ball making big salaries, NOT!!! :shock:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Vick barred from Falcons' training camp

ATLANTA - NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has weighed in on Michael Vick's indictment on dogfighting charges, and as a result the Falcons star was ordered to stay away from training camp until the league reviews the case.

The other men who could determine the future of Vick's football career — including Falcons owner Arthur Blank — were expected to be speak publicly Tuesday for the first time since the troubled quarterback was indicted.

It could be another pivotal day for Vick, though Goodell has asked Blank to wait for the NFL to finish its investigation before announcing the team's plans for Vick.

In a letter to Vick on Monday, Goodell instructed the Newport News, Va., native to stay away from training camp, at least for now.

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the personal conduct policy," Goodell said.

Goodell also promised that the league would complete its review quickly, adding that he expected Vick's full cooperation. The NFL wants to speak with federal investigators and prosecutors to learn how strong of a case they have against the 27-year-old.

The Falcons open camp on Thursday, the same day Vick will be arraigned in Richmond, Va. He and three other men face charges of allegedly sponsoring a dogfighting operation and brutal treatment of pit bulls.

Along with Blank, Atlanta's general manager Rich McKay and new coach Bobby Petrino are also expected to speak publicly for the first time about Vick's future and his effect on the team.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said Vick, who is in Virginia, will not attend the news conference.

Vick hasn't commented publicly since the team held a mini-camp in May. None of the phone messages left on his cell phone have been returned. His lawyer, Lawrence Woodward of Newport News, Va., also did not respond to interview requests Monday.

Vick, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft, last season became the first quarterback to rush for more than 1,000 yards last season. He led the Falcons to an NFC wild-card win 2002, his first season as a starter, and in 2004, Vick's play helped Atlanta reach the conference title game.

The Falcons will pay Vick during his hiatus. NFL veteran players earn $1,100 per week from the beginning of camp until the first week of the regular season.

Vick signed a 10-year contract extension in 2004 worth approximately $130 million. His salary this season is $6 million.

Before Monday, the league, the NFL players' union and the Falcons had yet to make a definitive statement on Vick, each saying they would monitor developments and allow the legal process to "determine the facts."

Since then, pressure has mounted publicly and particularly from animal-rights activists.

PETA — People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals — demonstrated at Falcons' headquarters in Flowery Branch, Ga., on Monday.

While PETA was demonstrating last Friday outside the NFL offices in New York last week, Goodell was meeting with officials from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The league and the ASPCA are working on a program to educate players about the proper treatment of animals.

Activists also pressured companies that have endorsements deals with Vick to sever their ties, and Nike said it would withhold release of a fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V, this summer.

Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer said the four shoe products and three shirts that currently bear Vick's name will remain in stores.

The Humane Society of the United States has asked the apparel company to sever its relationship with Vick immediately.

Goodell's order came down after several talks with the Falcons and Gene Upshaw, the union's executive director.

In his first year as commissioner, Goodell has acted decisively in using the NFL's new conduct policy, suspended Adam "Pacman" Jones of the Tennessee Titans for the upcoming year and telling Cincinnati's Chris Henry and former Chicago Bears lineman Tank Johnson that they will miss the first eight games in 2007.

Vick's indictment states that several pit bulls at his Surry County home were killed if they weren't strong enough to fight. The federal government says Vick and his associates executed the dogs "by hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

Purses for the fights ranged from hundreds of dollars to the thousands, and participants and spectators often placed side bets on the outcome, according to the indictment

If convicted, Vick and three others charged with him could face up to six years in prison, and $350,000 in fines.

ImageImage