CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

It must be so heart warming and rewarding to see the progress in Poe. I don't even want to know what that poor guy went through before being rescued but it seems that many of us humans couldn't make as much progress as quickly given the same circumstances.
Poe is very fortunate to have you to help him thru this phase - thank you.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I wouldn't worry too much about Poe Chow's sleeping habits. It seems to be what some Chows do best. Benny sleeps about twenty hours a day, not including naps. :lol:
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

How wonderful! What great observations. I didn't pay attention when I got Jszzy but other life changes were happening. I get the "wow, she's come a long way since I got her" every time we go to the vet.

Sounds like you are a wonderful chow mommy :D
~ Sally
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Lovely to hear about Poe.... If only there were pictures as well so that we could see him.... :wink:

Seriously, he sounds like he is doing super well under your care. What a lovely chow mama you are :D
Last edited by Layla on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Thanx for your words, one and all.

Layla, I would love to show you pictures, and I don't want you to think I'm withholding them on purpose. I am ill-equipped in the tech department and have a digi-cam I am unable to operate because of all the bells & whistles it has. My birthday is this Saturday and I have asked for a user friendly camera, so that I can actually get a picture or two up on this site. I don't want you to think Poe is just a figment of my imagination!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

Awesome progress zingara. Just awesome. Give him a big hug from me next time he let's you. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I will hope and pray for the very best and for his legs to heal and grow strong and healthy.

Ain't love grand?
Where's my chow chow?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

What great observations, It is so cool the way every one is different

David
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

YAY JENN & POE!!!!
Sounds like he is flourishing under your loving care. When will you learn more about his little leggies? How are he and your DH getting along now?
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Jenn, I just loved reading your post. I remember making all the same discoveries and watching the changes. It's amazing isn't it? You do sound like a wonderful, proud, doring chow mommy to me. :D :D It sounds like Poe is home to me. :wink:

Jenn, try not to worry too much about his legs at this stage, take it one day at a time. Even if there's nothing that they feel they can do to help his legs I think there are still things that can be done to help him live a good life with damagaed legs. I can tell you if it comes to that, but hopefully you'll get good news.

Hang in there!!!Hugs to Poe and Orso too.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

That is so great to hear. I'm like Karen, I don't think I really want to know what humans have done to him previously for him to be so afraid of them. :cry: But its nice to know he's making progress. He sounds so sweet. Hopefully the birthday fairies bring you a user-friendly camera on Saturday like you asked for so we can see some pics! :wink: When will you find out about his legs?
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

We go to the ortho vet, Dr. Sams, on May 1st at 2p. My fingers remain crossed until then.

I didn't mean to seem like Debbie Downer about his legs. It's just hard to watch him trying to climb up and down the stairs in my place, and to see him get so tuckered out after walks. He licks and licks the worst of the two legs, so I'm pretty sure at least that leg hurts him.

The more I read about his particular affliction, the more it seems unlikely to me that Dr. Sams will have any good news for me. But we'll see.

Poe continues to growl at DH. However, I am taking a more stern approach with it. I have squirt bottles all over the house for the cats (it doesn't matter how many posts I buy or what the posts are made of, these monsterous kitties want to scratch on my newly-upholstered furniture!) When Poe begins to growl at DH, I shoot at him with the squirt bottles. He always looks so shocked afterward! This coupled with DH feeding him now, slowly I think there are changes being made.

Thanx again for the kind words...I am not eloquent enough to tell you how grateful I am that you are all here!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

You don't sound like Debbie Downer, you sound like a concerned mommy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him, and you!
When we first moved in with DBF he pulled out a squirt bottle that he had written "Emmy No-No" on and told my daughter it was for when she misbehaved. LOL! So it works for Poe too huh?! :-)
I'm glad things are working out and coming along. I think about him a lot. :-)
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I think it sounds like you all have adjusted well. I am glad that he makes you so happy.

I know it is hard not to worry about his legs. Butters had to have hip surgery, and before he did, it broke my heart to see him in pain everytime he sat up or down. But luckily the surgery worked well and he is doing great. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news from the Doc.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

zingara_princepessa wrote:Thanx for your words, one and all.

Layla, I would love to show you pictures, and I don't want you to think I'm withholding them on purpose. I am ill-equipped in the tech department and have a digi-cam I am unable to operate because of all the bells & whistles it has. My birthday is this Saturday and I have asked for a user friendly camera, so that I can actually get a picture or two up on this site. I don't want you to think Poe is just a figment of my imagination!
Ok, I guess..... :wink: Have a great birthday though :D
Thank you Elodie!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You don't sound like Debbie Downer, but you might be making the wat-wah face...lol. It is hard, seeing an animal experience pain that should have been taken care of when it was treatable...poor baby. That is why I like taking Pip to the beach. By the water, there is just enough give to take some pressure off the joints. She runs more and looks like she is having fun.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Auddy, I hadn't thought of the beach. That's a terrific idea. I live about 20 blocks away. We could easily drive down there. Thanx for mentioning it!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

You're not being Debbie Downer at all, of course you're going to be concerned about someone you love. Me, I'd be a basket case! :D The beach idea sounds great.

I don't remember if anyone's suggested this or if you're doing it, but maybe you could have your hubby be the one to feed Poe, etc.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENN,

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank you, you guys! I'm 42. Someone told me that 42 is the New 22...I'll take it!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

zingara_princepessa wrote:Thank you, you guys! I'm 42. Someone told me that 42 is the New 22...I'll take it!
I agree. I'd love to be 42 again, heck I wouldn't mind being 52 again :) :)

Enjoy your day, it's always nice to have a birthday on a weekend. A Happy Birthday from one taurus to another taurus.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Plea for Poe

We went to the ortho doc yesterday. There's good news and bad news:

The Good news is his leg can be fixed! I wanted to weep with relief when I heard this. I had had terrible images in my mind all week of having to put poor Poe down at some point when he could no longer walk or was in horrible pain.

The doctor we went to see, Andrew Sams in Mill Valley, believes he can operate on Poe's leg. He's a mensch, this guy, let me tell you. He's done almost 100 of the same surgery and he says without bragging that he hasn't had one go bad yet. I was totally heartened by meeting with him. I was singing on the drive home to SF!

Here's the Bad news: Even at the rescue discount, this surgery is very very expensive ($4,000.00) Rocket Dog Rescue and I are going to fund raise by hanging out in the different SF neighborhoods with pics of Poe, asking for help. I am going to put up personal money as well. Unfortunately I have been unemployed for 5 months and am in a different financial position than I wish.

If any of you have been following Poe's story, you know what a tough time he's had so far in his poor little life. It is for him that I ask for any assistance you might be able to give. Any donation no matter how modest can be made via Paypal at http://www.rocketdogrescue.org. Choose the "donate" feature and then "special needs."

I want to thank you ahead of time for your kindness. I would give anything not to have to ask, as it's a bit embarrassing, but Poe's a sweet little guy who deserves to be made whole.

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Do we need to add anything to indicate that it's for Poe???

That's great, great news, I'm so happy for Poe. Are you gonna keep the LOVELY boy, hmmmmmmmm?
Thank you Elodie!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

If there are notes in the Paypal field, you can designate for Poe. Also, Rocket Dog is a 501-c-3 non-profit, so you're donation is a tax write-off.

You can also donate via mail to:

Rocket Dog Rescue
P.O. Box 460826
San Francisco, CA 94146-0826

write "Poe" on the notes line.

Thanx!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I'm so glad Andrew is positive. He is good but he is expensive, I know, our wallet is still hurting from LEO's surgery 3m/s ago...

I've got a question, I should probably ask our tax accountants. How do we go about claiming tax deduction on these tax exempt donations? We have given to charity, gone to galas at the Opera/Symphony, but we've just let it pass as we didn't know how to claim. We've only been in this country for 4 years, and tax is just sooooo complicated, it's our biggest headache for being in this country. Someone please enlighten us.

As for Giving for Poe, Lou, when are we going to go to Pali's to sniff the Sharpei?
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

I didn't get any "notes" section to write Poe in, but there is a "Contact Us" on the Rocket Dog website, so I just wrote to them and asked them to please apply my donation toward Poe's surgery.