Dog growling & snapping @ my 19 month old

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ninasbrisby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dog growling & snapping @ my 19 month old

Post by ninasbrisby »

My 3 year old chow chow who I love very much is growling at my daughter when she gets close to him, his food bowl, bones and sometimes even his toys. Today he snapped at her & her arm was wet. It was very scary since I feel like I've gotten several warnings & don't want my daughter to end up being permanently disfigured, etc.

My dog has bitten my dad once when he was feeding him, my 5 year old little sister when she was reaching in his bone/toy basket and my roommates boyfriend (he deserved it though since he came in our house @ 3:00 in the morning). I love Coco very much but am very concerned & feel like he might be better off with an owner who doesn't have kids.

Some days he is very sweet with my daughter & licks her, etc. & then if he's in a bad mood you just never know what he'll do.

He has tried to bite me in the past because of different reasons; not wanting to go in the house, not wanting to be brushed or bathed and at the vets office.

I've put up with a lot but it's just when it comes to my baby I really don't want the risk.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't believe in being heavy handed with any animal. I don't hit my dog & the only time I ever have is when he wouldn't let me in the house & was trying to bite my arm. This is when he was younger & not neutered. Not his normal character.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hi,
Have you taken him to the vet? Sometimes they will react like that when there is a medical problem...but I don't have experience with what you are going through. Here are a few topics regarding biting...try the search option on this site to find previous posts regarding biting. I found a few that may or may not be helpful for your particular situation...

http://www.chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic ... ght=biting

Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chris

Post by chris »

first, tell me what your meaning of biting is?

To bite out of "warning" and to bite out of anger or fear are different things.
Steel doesn't like is paws touched. I play a game with him.. (this little piggy)... I'm the only one who can "play" with his paws, but he will take my hand or arm in his mouth.. he doesn't "BITE" though. He does this gently as if to say.. "Mom, stop that .. you know I don't want you touching my royal paws."
YOU should be able to take food or anything away from your chow. however, the little ones in the family, it's harder to make the chow understand that the little ones are still abouve him in the pack.
1. Tell the kids and friends not to bother the chow while sleeping or eating.
2. advise them (I know the 19month old is hard to tell but teach her) not to touch or approach the chow from the back. Always the front, and if you are going to approach from the back make sure the chow is aware of it.
3. When playing... when the chow has had enough... THE CHOW HAS HAD ENOUGH.. stop playing. If the playing gets to rough YOU stop playing and walk away.. ignore him.
4. There is an awsome "program" that alot of us on this web site use, it's called NILF (nothing in life is free). Even get your daughter involved. If your chow wants to go outside.. make him do something to be "allowed" outside. (sit, stay, down.. something like that) if he wants something to eat, or he wants dinner... make him do something for it. Same for if he wants a toy.. etc.etc..

Hopefully some of this should work. but yes, take him to the vet... my son used to lay on one of our older chows when he was little and we didn't know that the chow was in pain from arthritus.. she snapped at him and growled.
luvchows

Who's in Charge Here? A Lesson in Becoming Alpha

Post by luvchows »

Here is a link with more detail about this:
http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/alpha.htm
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

That's a great link Luvchows, thanks for posting it
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You would think ChowChow welfare would relate more to a Chow then to the everyday dog, That website contradicts themselves all over the site. First you read all the alpha training then if you go to the letter to shelters they completely change the story on how to deal with a Chow.

Who's in Charge could have came out of any dog book and all they did was cut and paste it. They fail to mention that with a Chow you have to be really careful with who you are taking your Chow to. They also don't mention you can't train a Chow like every other dog but they do say it on other parts of the site.

There is some truth to what that page says but even Chowchow welfare knows themselves, what a bunch of crook, the basics are ok but not all of it plus this chow is not a puppy, you start pulling that stuff with an adult Chow and in the wrong hands your going to have big trouble.

I would suggest you go to Melanie's site for advice and ask advice from people that live with a Chow not take advice from dog book articles and that Ceaser guy. You would never see Ceaser training a Chow, his credibility would be shot to hell.

The kid is bing Nipped, Not bit becouse she is going to him while he is eating treats and most likely sleeping. How many thousands of post have we seen saying the same thing. Quit bugging the Chow while he is eating and sleeping.

The 5 year old is basicaly a stranger she dosn't live in the house so it will take some time for him to get use to her. there are very few Chows on this site that would tolorate a stranger, Child or adult charging at him to pet him.

We all know Pekoe's temperament and if Pekoe after 9 years of never being around kids can learn to live with a child, then any Chow can learn to live with children, she was the worst when Conner first moved in. Not only does the Chow need some training but the kids need training in the basics of being around all dogs not only a Chow, You can do all the alpha training you want but if the kids don't know the basics of owning a dog none of it is going to work.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
ninasbrisby
Rank 0
Rank 0

My meaning of biting...

Post by ninasbrisby »

Chris,

You asked what my meaning of biting is and when Coco bit my little sister he broke the skin on her arm.

When he bit my dad he also broke the skin on his hand.

When he tried to bite me he was very dangerously trying to bite me. He wasn't mouthing or giving me a warning bite. He was thrashing around growling, lunging, etc. It was very scary. Again, this is when he wasn't neutered and he became very aggressive prior to my neutering him.

I love Coco so much. I've always called him my first born. A lot of the training issues that I've had with him are due to my lack of training in the beginning while he was small. I treated him like a baby instead of being his Alpha owner. I thought if I loved and cuddled him a lot he would just be a good dog. Some dogs this is true but I do believe most dogs need an Alpha owner. I think it makes them feel even more secure when they don't have to be in charge. My good friend who's a dog trainer warned me in the beginning to not treat him like a baby and really work with him. I should have listened.

All I can do now is work with him on a daily basis and keep him and my daughter seperate until she can actually understand me when I tell her to leave the dog alone. Right now she really doesn't understand (she just turned 19 mo.'s). I'm all for teaching children how they need to be around animals. I don't even like when I see kids chasing the birds at the beach. I was brought up on a ranch and we learned to respect our pets.

Thanks for everyone's advice, links, etc. I will obviously listen to the advice that pertains & makes sense in my situation.
April
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by April »

I would sit with your child and your chow for a few minutes a day and get them used to each other and stay ight there to atch over and correct your chow if she shes any kind of aggression. And of course don't let your chid around her when she is eating I still get a little nerous around my chowgirl when she is eating, but i still get down there with her and show her that I am alpha not her. I never let me kids take food away from her. I am always reminding them to stay away from her when she is eating. Good luck and I say just socialize the two of them daily.
chris

Post by chris »

ninasbrisby, thankyou for clearning that up. Alot of people will think a dog is biting, when really it isn't.. it's just grabbing or mouthing or warning and it isn't an actual bite. But if the dog is growling and thrashing out of anger and biting while breaking the skin and drawing blood, then umm yeah I would say thats biting.
I am actualy having an issue with Steel at the moment. He will be having a one on one with myself and a trainer. Aside from the fact that Steel needs to be neutered, He is by far the strongest willed chow I have had so I want to learn from the trainer how to deal with certain things. I have also come to realize that .. it may be possible that Steel has "fear agression?" I'm not real sure, but I have told the stories about being in petsmart and Steel kinda cowers a little and pees everywhere... while walking. He acts kinda nervouse or Scared if you will.
Anyway, good luck and if you need more help just ask, we are all here for eachother :-)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Welcome Ninasbrisby! I would strongly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviorist. We had a treat aggression issue with Special Dark and saw one. They have both the phd in behavior and the vet degree, they are are very well equipped to give you the tools to work with him. I can pm you some tips on how to deal with the food aggression around his bowl, but at this point I think someone who can see him one on one and address all of the issues you're having might be better suited to help you out.

I would caution you to stay away from anyone who throws the word "alpha" around and expecially anyone who tells mentions alpha roles or choke collars. All of these can only make any situation dangerously worse. Don't be afraid to ask the office their philosphy of training before you commit to the appointment, you have every right to pick and choose.

Good luck and keep us posted!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea