injured knee - how long recovery?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

injured knee - how long recovery?

Post by Mandy »

Hi all!

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this injury with their pups and how long it took to heal. Somehow our crazy hyper Chewie managed to get an ACL injury when Drew had them out back. We think he twisted or pulled his tendon when he was out running around. He came in limping and we let it go for a couple days (it was on Christmas eve) hoping it was a quick boo boo. But he didn't seem to be getting much better so we took him into the vet. Our vet is hoping that it will heal itself. He doesn't think its a tear but has know way of knowing unless he goes in for surgery. As most of us know, we try not to put Chows under because of their reaction to anesthesia. Our Vet is of the same mind and gave him a anti-inflammitory shot and some chewable anti-inflammitories for 2 weeks. He said it could take up to 6 months (!) for it to heal and that we should keep him from running as best we can. UGH! how are we supposed to do that! It is like WWF in our house betweent the two of them.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks for your help!

Mandy and poor little broken Chewie
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Sending all best wishes for Chewie's full recovery. I haven't experienced this - but thought you might be interested in the yahoo group devoted to discussing such issues. The link below is a page of links, which includes information on confining and recovery.

Excerpt:

"Orthodogs"

This free Yahoo Group mailing list is open to discussion of all types of joint issues in dogs. There are a number of members whose dogs have gone through the TPLO or a traditional cruciate repair. It's a great place to ask questions and celebrate recovery milestones.

http://www.lauriebryce.com/tplo/recovery.html
heatherbs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by heatherbs »

One of my chows, Emmy, tore her meniscus a few years ago. She was limping and carrying her leg for a few days before I took her the vet. After 2 surgeries, she is 100% back to normal. I did not hesitate to do the surgeries - she's my baby! and I couldn't bear the thought of her in pain.

I'll will warn you, there is nothing worse than seeing your chow in a cast. As soon as I saw her after the surgery, I cried like a baby.

Hope Chewie is feeling better soon.

[/img]
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Poor Chew-

We are taking him back in today. He seemed to be getting much better until saturday. When he was outside, he jumped about 1 foot up onto a little stand and we think he re-injured himself. Since then, he hasn't touched that little paw to the ground. He is acting totally normal outside of that - still wants to play, is eating fine, so we don't think he is suffering too much... but you never know with a chow! They hide it so well. I have a feeling we are going to need to go in for sugery. I feel so bad... he is so young! Only 15 months. I'm sure if he is in a cast, I will cry like a baby too! I'll let you know what the vet says.

Mandy
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Just got a call from my husband. Chewie has a torn ACL. We are bringing him back in for major surgery tomorrow morning. I just want to cry. The poor little muffin. He will be at the vet until thursday. I told drew to tell the vet to expect me there anytime I'm not working! I'm dreading leaving him there for 3 days! He's so young... I feel so awful.

Mandy
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Just got a call from my husband. Chewie has a torn ACL. We are bringing him back in for major surgery tomorrow morning. I just want to cry. The poor little muffin. He will be at the vet until thursday. I told drew to tell the vet to expect me there anytime I'm not working! I'm dreading leaving him there for 3 days! He's so young... I feel so awful.

Mandy
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

One of the past posters, Bubba had a similar injury happen to his Chow Growl when they were out running, it was a serious leg injury but I don't think he had the surgery, (May be wrong) If they have a search on this site look back a couple of months, I believe Growl came out of it ok, I think Lou kept up with Bubba and Growl after he left the site so Lou might know more of what happened. I know those vet Visits are expensive but I would get a second opinion before they start cutting. Either way I'm sure Chewie will be Ok, like you told me keep those positive thoughts.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

So sorry to hear of Chew's misfortune :( . I wish him a successful surgery, and quick recovery!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Gwrol did get better Jeff - it was a long job but patience and care did the job. I don't think he needed surgery but Michael i.e. Bubba did blame himself too Mandy, as I did when I hurt Milly Ching last summer.
So just, chin up and think positive. He will be glad to get home and will pick up from where he left off. :)
Remember Confucious when he went to "prison" after biting somebody when it wasn't his fault - when he was released he just sort of looked at his owner as if to say "Ok! What took you so long"? :roll:
Just love him when he gets home. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I'm sorry. I just read this post. Oh poor Mandy! Don't blame yourself and I hope your husband doesn't feel bad. It will all heal up faster than you think. Gwrol's dad chose an alternative method to heal and put Gwrol through Chiropractic care and masages and physical therapy. I think it took 6 months to get everything up to par and they did go on hikes during the healing time. I'm not sure if it was his ACL, but the diagnosis was grim at first, even with surgery lameness was still a concern with Gwrol. But once on chiropractic care, he's back to being a happy, turkey hunting, buffalo chasing chow chow. Mr. B (that's what I call him) certainly flogged himself about Gwrols's injury. It was an awful feeling for him and I think Mr. B still has the guilt of Gwrol's injury in the back of his mind. I'm not positive, but I think after Gwrol healed, Mr. B showed him and I think Gwrol won.

Mandy, I read your post-surgery post too. I had to smile when you commented about the vet's not knowing about a chow's ability to hold a grudge. Only someone whose been loved by a chow knows about their grudges and brooding and only someone who loves and whose been loved by a chow know how (and have the patience) to get back into their good graces. A few extra cuddles and treats back home plus extra special TLC should do the trick. I'm happy that Chewie's surgery was successful!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Just in case anyone who is reading is wondering... I did get in touch with Michael, Growl's dad, and what Growl had was a slipped disk in his spine. He did recover, with a lot of work - a lot which is the same kind of rehabilitation we will be doing with chewie. We are going to pick him up today!

Thanks everyone for the comfort.

Mandy
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am glad you have contacted Gwrol's Dad - he sent an answer back to me immediately when I emailed him to ask permission to give you his email address - he was sorry about Chewie - and yes Lou he did show The Boyo and he won!! :D

I expect by now you have your Boyo home so love him and love him. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)