New chow mix puppy owner

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

snowbaby67
Rank 0
Rank 0

New chow mix puppy owner

Post by snowbaby67 »

I am new to chows. We just got a chow/lab mix puppy not sure how old she is because she was abandoned. She is very active and bouncy we suppect she is 5 to 8 weeks old. We have a 3 yr old female husky/beagle mix and is very obedient and quiet. Is chows typically a barker? How do you stop aggressive behavior like bitting? She is like the energizer bunny when you tell her no and give her a toy or chew bone. Molly is her name and she tends to get really rough with our other dog, princess tollerates it and then barks at her as a mommy would but Molly bounces around and keeps going should we interfer when Molly gets to rough and if so how? I was reading about diets for chows, do they need to eat a certain diet or is regular foo okay? Molly is on purina puppy chow, is that good for her? Any suggestion about raising Molly to be a happy, good behaved puppy would help. Things we did for raing princess is not working and she was Molly's age when we got her.
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

We raised 3 Chows on Purina puppy chow and Missy passed away 2 years ago at 16 years old. Charlie is 8 and we feed him Purina One lamb & rice. If they don't have allergies, as ours don't, the Purina should work fine.
Chows normally don't bark much, it sounds like she is barking at your other dog to play. Charlie did that to Missy as a puppy, but only 1 or 2 little yaps, not much barking at all. It sounds like she has a lot of energy to burn off, it may be the Lab in her. I let ours work it out on their own, when Princess gets tired of it she will put Molly in her place, but you want to be there so it doesn't go too far. Dogs are pack animals and Molly will learn her place in the pack from Princess. That's always worked for me, some others may have better solutions.
You may have already read this, but here is a link to more info on training:
http://chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5501
Good Luck,
Jeff
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Silly me, I just split a post for you, then saw this...lol.