need info on teething puppies what to get them to chew on

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lingmundt
Rank 0
Rank 0

need info on teething puppies what to get them to chew on

Post by Lingmundt »

Need info on chow puppies who are teething shes about 7 wks old
likes to grab on to ankles arms etc has very sharp teeth . What is
the best thing to get for her to chew on. I went to Petco but I was
at a loss as what would be the best thing for her. Thank you for any
advice you can give me
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

There is a bone called N-Bone, especially the one called Pearly Whites and Nylabone Chew & Brush (edible). You could also try bully sticks, but not too much with those, they can cause diarrhea. I get her the turkey/rice or potato Edible Nylabones occasionally too. I stay away from the flavors that contain BHA/BHT, not good for them. These can all be purchased at Petco.

And you could also get a puppy Kong.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Be sure to always have some sort of chew toy on you. That way, when the pup begins to chew on you, you can redirect her to a more positive activity. Know that Chowlings do not respond to yelling or compulsion. You have to convince them that the alternative is a much better option without punishment. You can make a puppy wimper when she bites you so she knows it hurts you. Also, when she bites on the chew toy, you want to praise her and encourage that behavior. Eventually, she will get the idea that humans do not like to be gnawed on and that the chew toys don't mind it.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

If you are concerned with keeping the mouth and gums black only give them soft toys like those knotted rope toys.
Auddymay

lily

Post by Auddymay »

This is Lily with her Nylabone. She is almost 8 months old and just started chewing it. Before this, she preferred to chew on one my older dog Pip had well broken in. It has gotten so gnarlly, I have to inspect it regularly for loose pieces. I guess she is looking for something more challenging now!