crate training and teething

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

spank241
Rank 0
Rank 0

crate training and teething

Post by spank241 »

my chow (rocko) is 5 month old. he is a very playful and energetic. he is nice to every one he meets. the only problems i have had with him is he plays kinda rough. he bites people in the arm and in the face at first it wasnt hard but its getting worse every day. any advice?
also he hates his crate does any1 have any tips or tricks that could help.

ps i adopted him from the pound. can any1 tell me wut he is mixed with. Image
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Rocko is very cute! People need to have a myspace account to see your pic though. :)

There is a great thread about "bite inhibition".. Go check it out!

Sid STILL pinches me when we play. NOT IN THE FACE THOUGH!! That would be scary, that would mean I would have to be EXTRA careful around kids his height!!! We are still working on the "mouthing" of my arms.

Time outs work GREAT!!! :)
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Jaz still plays rough with me. She's too intimidated around kids to play much, but I'm always cautious and tell kids not to stand directly in front of her with their face in her nose. NEVER now when Jaz might feel threatened and jump.

She has jumped at me when playing, and has knocked me in the arms or face with a tooth but I don't think it was intentional biting. She does mouth my hands, partly my fault because I'll grab her muzzle. When she gets out of line I just tell her 'ouch' and 'settle down' and she stops being so rough. I don't remember 'teaching' her that, its just what we've done since she was a baby.

I know, I should not let her play so rough. But it was just the two of us for so long that I never thought about it. :? Actually she does great with my grand daughter. My grandson is only 6 months and Jaz doesn't know what to think of him, other than he's a puppy. She's always trying to clean him, and will lay by his side protecting him I think. Its' going to be fun when my daughter starts correcting the baby when he's walking and getting in to things. I had a German Shepherd that wouldn't let my ex near the kids if he was angry :twisted: :lol:

oops! a little off topic there. Sorry

I agree with Cherie. I searched for the bite inhibition thread and couldn't find it. Hopefully someone else can help you out there.
~ Sally