Summer and the clementines

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

loverman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Summer and the clementines

Post by loverman »

I had to laugh as I read the assertion in another topic that chows are just normal dogs. As I was reading about normalness, my chow, Summer, was standing on her hind feet with her forepaws on the bookshelf, trying to figure out how to climb up get my husband's clementines (like a tangerine). All sorts of vocalizations (grunt, mutter, whine) accompanied this.

I discovered Summer's interest in clementines yesterday. My husband had left the door to the pantry open. I heard many clicking toenail noises and finally peeked in the pantry. She'd gotten a clementine out of its crate and was pawing the floor in front of the clementine. Finally she pawed the clementine itself, shooting it across the floor. Mayhem ensued with barking and batting the clementine around like a soccer ball and pawing the tiles in a frenzy in front of the clementine. She tired after a while and rested with the clementine in between her paws.

I went back to cleaning, thinking that the fun was over and all was calm. Well, I stepped on the remains of a half eaten clementine later and found orange peels all over the floor. I had to rewash the floor, but it was worth it (one time) to see such a show.

Tonight my husband brought a plate of clementines to the coffee table (a low table) and the clicking toenails gave Summer's actions away. We rescued the clementine with toothmarks in the peel and he put the plate on a high bookshelf. Now Summer is barking at the bookshelf and making monkey grunts. It is not like she doesn't have 2 tennis balls in the room! Now that isn't exactly normal dog behavior.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

That is so funny! Last night our chow for begging for some orange tea. I've never seen him act that way when I brewed any other type of tea. Wonder if it's the orange smell and or taste?
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I had put some rawhide candy canes on the Christmas tree as decoration. Willow has never really showed any interest in the tree ornaments or even the tree for that matter and they were up fairly high.

Well, she trotted herself up to the tree, GENTLY took the candy cane off and went to lay down like she was going to have a great little party for herself. :lol:
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

My twins were little when Sasha was alive. Every year our tree decorations are red bows and red and white candy canes with white lights. One year when the girls were about 5 or 6, the candy canes off the tree from about their height down kept dwindling down. I kept telling Amber and Ashley to leave the candy canes alone. But the candy canes kept disappearing. One night after the girls had gone to bed I happened to look towards the tree, and there was Sasha, just as quiet as a mouse, sneaking a candy cane. All I could do was laugh. My prim, proper little lady was the actual candy cane theif and not my twins. Of course I had to apologize to the girls. And even to this day when we put the tree up, we still laugh about Sasha and the candy canes. Of course she got caught numerous times after that. The dog bones she loved came in a plastic bag that we kept in a corner in the kitchen. We eventually found out she was sneaking them too. LOL She never one time made a noise getting into the bag to sneak a snack bone. And people have the nerve to call Chows dogs!
Nancy and Tai

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Nancy - that is so funny and I have an almost exact story. When our three were very little, we had a Great Dane called Jenny and when the Christmas Tree went up, we hung the little chocolate things you can buy on. The children were thrilled and we said not to take them, leave them until near to Christmas. :)
Well, they started to disappear and I again asked them not to take them and they assured me they would not. :?
Again - well you can guess - I got quite cross with them as they kept telling me they hadn't but the chocolates were missing off the tree and little balls of silver foil were on the floor. :shock:
What really upset me more was that the children were telling lies!! :( It was the lies that really bothered me.
One evening, we were in the kitchen and we heard a slight rustling - popped our heads round the door and sure enough Jen was busy, very gently taking a chocolate off the tree. We watched her and sure enough she got it off, carried it away and ate it and spat out the silver paper! :D
So the following morning, it was apologies all round and our eldest Anthony was so relieved because at 7 yrs., he said he knew we did not believe them and that made him sad too. Poor little boy - he was worried which of his sisters was cheating!
Jen was as guilty as sin though when we made it known to her that we had seen her. :)
She was a thief though and would pinch if she got the opportunity. She once lifted a shoulder of lamb off the kitchen work top. Sunday lunch was cooked, lamb on the side waiting to be carved and veg. ready to serve out and I was distracted for a moment - telephone or whatever and when I returned the lamb was gone and Jen was in the garden having a wonderful feast. :lol: We ended up with roast potatoes, several veg. and a slice of corned beef for our Sunday lunch. The thing was, she was a big Dane and her head was level with the rable, kitchen surfaces etc. :roll:
Our last Dane, Lizzie would not so much as steal a crumb off the coffee table!! The Boxer we had last, before M & M came would steal the biscuit out of your mouth if she could!!
M & M won't steal - what good girls!!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Well the thing about Sasha stealing the candy canes was... she didn't leave the papers. That's why I would have never thought it was her. So she was eating papers and all. Ewwwwwwwww. After she got busted, we gave her unwrapped candy canes and for the most part she started leaving them alone. She'd just take one occassionally. LOL But to watch her sneak the candy canes off the tree and the bones out of the bones snack was so funny, we never did say anything to her about it. She would sneak the bone and go hide under our kitchen table like no one could see her. It was just sooo funny. My prim, proper little lady in ever other way, was a theif. The joys of being a Chow mommy. Sasha never bothered anything off a plate sat in front her, would take things from our hands just as gentle as she possibly could.... but then she did that. What a personality!!!!! Gitta love em! I can't wait to see what Koda will pull. :)
Nancy and Tai

loverman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loverman »

Summer, before the clementines, circles around our plates and if they are left unguarded, the purple tongue starts licking around the side getting closer to the target. There is no human food that has not caught her attention, but if I offer fruits and vegetables, she quickly looses interest and goes away and relaxes, but salad dressing, that's another matter. The cutest thing is to see her gently take a greenie from my hand and bury it in a corner (by scratching at the hardwood floor of tiles). She checks on her buried greenie every now and then, but I can't get her to eat them!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Koda didn't care for Greenies either. LOL Now sam... he can't gobble them up fast enough. LOL
Nancy and Tai