Can't stop the chewing!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BeverlynDamon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can't stop the chewing!

Post by BeverlynDamon »

Hey everyone. My boyfriend and I are new to the site but we need some advice FAST. We adopted a chow-terrier mix named King a couple of months ago, and he will not stop chewing on everything. He goes for hair clips, kid's toys, books, clothes, and even my pincushion WITH THE PINS still in it. He does it even when we are home, trying to sneak up beside us and take things off the table. He destroyed my favorite book, so this has to stop. :D We have given treats for good behavior, tons of chew toys, and have resorted to keeping him in a crate whenever we cannot give 100% attention to him. He's 8 months old, but isn't this too old for teething? Any advice?
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Hi, welcome and CONGRATS!! Wow, I think that's the first time I've heard Chow/Terrier mix. :) I bet he's adorable! Post a pic! :)

hmmm, chewing!! I'm having the same issue but only certain things. Sid sneaks paper OF ANY KIND and he chews my favorite tennis. Just a couple of days ago he ate my brand new flip flops!! GOOD THING I BUY CHEAP ONES!! OH, and he will chew on his leash or grab it to lead ME instead of me leading HIM!! :lol:

I know that Layla will steer you to a site called NILF (nothing in life is free).. Huh Layla?? :) :x

For Sid, time-outs seem to work the best. Since your Chowboy is crate trained this might work for you. I have to put Sid in the kitchen and close the door. I ignore him for about 5 or 10 minutes then let him out. That seems to work the best on him. :)

I would say that most chewing is caused from boredom but that doesn't seem the case with you and your baby.

~Sid and Cherie
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I would only say make sure he has plenty of his own toys to chew on. I got lucky with Butters, he has never been a chewer, but he would kill his own toys!
SweetPea Rocks!!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Part of the chewing is them simply being a puppy...it is why shelters have so many 6-18 month old dogs for adoption. Dogs go through a very trying age...trying for their owners patients. I know chows generally do not chew too much, but I had a chow/Shepard mix years ago that I got as a small puppy, we found her at about 8 weeks old. She chewed EVERYTHING!. Shoes, socks, books, pillows, CDs, my mom's only nice piece of furniture (a coffee table my dad had got her just the Christmas before we got her), our kitchen table. She also pulled the wallpaper off our bathroom walls and started in on the wall itself. We scolded her if we actually caught her doing it, barricaded her in a room when we left the house and provided her with any kind of chew toy we could find for her. She eventually just grew out of it.

Others may have some actual training tips, but I know a lot of it is just an age thing. Get her plenty of exercise and keep a very close eye on her until she gets a little older. This is why I love adult dogs, Tacia and Tess either were not chewers or had simply grown out of it when we found them.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Amanda, you reminded me about the time Sid DID eat one of my favorite DVDs!! He only did it once! weird dog. He ate the case, dvd, chewed it up in bits and spit it out on the floor!! Hasn't touched one since and they are right at his height, so, yup, it seems they do outgrow it!! :)
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

When teething they all nibble,so I'm afraid our chairs look less nce than they did before we got the pups,lol.
Cheyenne understood 'd rather she took a chewie failry quick,Cinnamon is a different story.
With her it's not boredom either,she'll do it while playing with Chey,or a toy.You don't pay attention for a sec,and she turns and takes a bite out of the trim,just like that.Or she'll be asleep on the floor and 5 minutes later there's bits of trim missing.Maybe she just doesn't like our trim.
It's not the lack of chew toys or other toys,there's always a ton of those on the floor,and she likes them too.
Other than that I'd say it's like with little kids,if you are really attached to something,keep it away from them.Once they're 18 months they're usually little angels,lol
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

How often do you walk or exercise him? Try walking or running it out of him...sounds like he has some built up tension that he is chewing to release that energy. He can't chew if he is too tired from a good healthy walk. Get into a routine and get his mind off chewing and focused on when you are taking him for that next walk.
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

We bought Bitter Apple spray by the gallon and hosed down everything in our house.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

j72 wrote:We bought Bitter Apple spray by the gallon and hosed down everything in our house.
I forgot about that stuff!! That's what my daughter had to use! Zelda at a hole in the wall and ATE her couch cushions!!!
maddie25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maddie25 »

i have the same problem with my new puppy. :? she will chew on our other chow's fur and tail and we take her off but then she runs 2 us and starts to bite our ankels (and she bites hard!! :-x ) we push her off and then she gets mad so she keeps on biting us harder and harder! :evil: :-x we have to like throw her a foot a away from us for her to stop biting us! I get very mad sometimes 2 :evil: :evil:
sandram
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sandram »

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site. Anyway, I have 2 chows at home (female and male). the male is excellent, very well behaved and causes no trouble whatsoever; my problem is with the female; when we put her outside(when guests are at home),we clse the opening with wood, she eats it...when we close it with anything else she always manages a way to eat whatever we put. when she is indoors, she makes sure to get a hold of toilet paper, rips it and spreads it all over the house. she also refuses to pee anywhere but on carpets which is driving my family crazy. she currently injured herself with the constant need to be indoors. is there anything i could do? they have a lot of toys and are never left hungry or thursty...