Update on the lump on Pekoe's tongue.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Update on the lump on Pekoe's tongue.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe just went into the vet today for the lump on her tongue (3rd vet 3rd attempt) as soon as the vet saw it he said this has to be removed so took her into surgery, he also found a smaller one on the back side of her tongue. This was the first time I actually saw the lump I just felt it, it was way worse looking then what I felt, it was like a big wart so after arguing for awhile about the anesthesia I finely said go ahead but while she is out do everything, they removed the lumps, gave her all her shots took blood and did a full senior screening plus groomed her and cut her nails. We just got home and she is walking around like she has no idea where she is and acting like she had a few to many drinks.

They are sending the lumps out for testing but the vet said it looks benign so hopefully it won't be cancer.

Yesterday when I first took her in she went nuts I got bit on the hand twice, so with blood all over the floor from my hand and 20 people standing around saying oh my god, finely got the muzzle on her, then after being declared the worst they have ever seen come in for the 4th time in Pekoes life, the vet walks in sees the show Pekoe is putting on then tells me to take her home give her some sedatives and bring her back in the morning.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Jeff!

She is a demon isn't she! :roll:

So, I have just answered Victory's post and from sitting here proud as punch on her behalf, I am now sitting here chortling like an idiot and thinking "Go, Pekoe!" :P

Anyway, seriously, I am glad it has been done and I do so hope it is benign. Anyway, it is out now.

Poor Pekoe, I hope she is ok and I suppose she will sleep off the anaesthetic overnight, poor love. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Oh! I hope Pekoe recovers from the anesthesia and surgery quickly!! I'd say give her a treat but what can she eat after having surgery on her tongue? Glad the lumps were dealt with immediately - uh, well - the next day after giving her a sedative. Which sedative did they have you give her?

She must look quite nice now with her nails trimmed and getting groomed :D .

What about you? How's the hand? Were you the one putting the muzzle on her? I know they feel so indignant when they have to be muzzled. I feel terrible having to be the one to put it on them but I rather do it than have a stranger as I think it would be even more indignant :x

Can't wait to hear about the follow-up visit...plus the good news that the tests are negative.

Karen
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

It sounds like you found a vet who isn't put off by her displays though. I like the fact that he took charge of the situation and immediately handled it. Good to hear she's doing all right with coming off of the anesthesia -- that always worries me. Let us know what the biopsy shows.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Here's hoping Pekoe's results come out just fine. Our chows being sick or having something worng with them is as bad as one of our kids... WAIT!!!! Koda is my kid!!! :)
Nancy and Tai

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I hope Pekoe's biopsy is good news. She is a very determined girl isn't she?

She'll come out of the anthesia just fine, some of them just take about 24 hours to fully wake up; I think it's more the pain meds they get after the procedure than the anthesia.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Jeff wrote:

"This was the first time I actually saw the lump I just felt it, it was way worse looking then what I felt, it was like a big wart"

---

Maybe it's a canine papilloma viral wart. Here are some excerpts, and there's also a photo of the oral warts on the site below. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ca ... lomas.html

"Certain viruses are able to cause the growth of small round skin tumors that are commonly referred to as warts.  In reality, there are many types of small round skin growths and it is important for them to be examined as some such growths may not actually be innocuous viral warts.

Most growths must be removed and biopsied before they can be identified, though in some cases the viral papilloma has an obvious appearance and can be identified visually.

In dogs, we do not call these growths warts,
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan had those. The vet tried treating them with prednisone and antibiotics. After several months, he recommended removing them surgically because one was beginning to interfere with his teeth and he wasn't eating well. Since the surgery, no problems. But they weren't on his tongue. They were on his inner lip.
Michele

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Rogansmommy wrote:

"Rogan had those. The vet tried treating them with prednisone and antibiotics. After several months, he recommended removing them surgically..."

---

If your Rogan had papilloma virus warts, I don't think antibiotics can kill viruses. The research on papilloma connects the warts with an immature immune system too, but prednisone would suppress an immune system even further.

In any case, I'm glad to hear Rogan's doing well, and wish the same good health for Pekoe.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

The vet never called them pampilloma virus warts... I don't think he knew really what they were. :shock: I was identifying them from the picture. The vet's opinion on 'the growths' ranged from 'something benign' to cancer. Ugh - anyone know of a GOOD vet in Tampa?
Michele

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Hope the results turn out OK. We'll be thinking of you both. Jeff, I thought Willow was bad at the vet until reading that. How are the bites?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Willow,
There is no way any Chow could be worse then Pekoe at the Vet she has to hold the record, it took the Vet and four other people to hold her while he checked her out before he gave her the anesthesia then with everyone holding her and me standing there saying Pekoe its ok the Vet grabbed her paw to inject her, she went nuts, struggling,foaming at the mouth, she knocked two people down, it was a mad house. there is no way in words that I can say how bad it was and on top of all that I gave her a sedative before I took her in so all that and she was sedated to.
I have had times at the Vet where they actually had to lock the doors close the office and called everyone to the back to help control Pekoe, she doesn't like the vet and she makes it clear she doesn't want to be there.

Karen,
It was me that was putting the muzzle on Pekoe there is no way the Vet or anyone else would get close enough to even try, she wasn't really trying to bite me when I was putting the muzzle on she was snapping at the muzzle and my hand got in the way.

I don't know what the anesthesia was he gave her but it was a shot and he let me stay and watch the whole time, with the needle in her he gave her a little at a time until she fell asleep, except it was like a horror movie we thought she was asleep so the Vet told the helper to remove the muzzle and clamp open her mouth, as soon as he touched her mouth she growled and snapped at him while she was asleep so he had to give her little more of the injection.

Anyways all of Pekoes test results blood, stool, urine, senior test came in today except for the biopsy on the lump, that will take a couple of days but other then that Pekoe is in perfect health, the vet did say that's great results for a 10 year old Chow (she will be 10 in February), if the biopsy is ok then she is in perfect health.

I have always said Pekoe is possessed so if you ever want to see a live performance of the Exorcist come and watch Pekoe at the Vet. Bring your crosses for safety.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh! Jeff!

You really make me laugh! :lol: But you gotta love her havn't you - She is such a character.

I hope everything is ok with the lumps!

That vet better have done his job else she might rip his throat out! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Jeff-Oh, my God, she wasn't asleep when they took the muzzle off! Poor you, poor dog! I've got to muzzle Willow for them too, there are 3 vets where we go and one is SO afraid of her. I'm so glad the tests have come back negative so far, seems like a good sign for the other one too. Fingers and paws crossed for you and Pekoe!