Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff, I still suggest you try to contact Joan from Adopt-a-chow LA. See if she knows anything about the alleged chow "napper/hoarder". Because if she does, Jennifer can contact authorities to keep an eye on the house and even have a home investigation by the humane society. The humane society can seize the dog and give Jennifer custody if she wants.

Thanks for updating us.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nuke, Where do you get nutbag out of that?

Lou, I can't find Joans number its not listed on the site and while i was there I checked on Mr Cheeks, she said he was groomed but its still the same picture and he is still listed as urgent.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Why Jennifer is a nutbag:

1. She let a chow live on the street for at least a month, and did nothing other than feed it and post on Crag's list

2. She named a female Chow "Chucky"

3. She is upset that the Chow is now off the street and living with someone who wants the dog to be an inside dog who is allowed to sleep in the bedrooom.

Sorry Jeff, but Jeniffer sounds stupid and irrational.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff&Peks wrote:...Lou, I can't find Joans number its not listed on the site and while i was there I checked on Mr Cheeks, she said he was groomed but its still the same picture and he is still listed as urgent.
Here you go. Her phone number was on the chow chow welfare site. I think, not sure, her e-mail addy is JoanS@fox.com

California....Los Angeles Adopt-A-Chow - Los Angeles Joan Scocciamarro
310-306-2854
nuke

Post by nuke »

4. She makes a huge leap and assumes the gated house is "a mess" and that the lady is "hoarding dogs"

Jeniffer has issues.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thanks Lou i will call her in the morning..
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

You all are soooo wonderful! Keep up the great work and get this chow girl away from the crazyness she's caught up in! My prayers are with you all - this poor little girl :cry:
~ Sally
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think it is all kind of odd. Let Jeff see with his own eyes, the situation. It sounds like Jennifer was doing minimal care toward it's survival, just one of those folks without the resources to actually vet the Chow, and do a proper rescue. I think she cares for Chaz. And Chucky might actually be her given name. Not everyone is resourceful like some of our members here, you know.

I think the reason she is upset about lady 2, is because she got a wierdo vibe off of her. And that she thinks she is a collector tells me facts are known but not present. I think the reason Lou assumed money is because most gated communities are wealthy. Again, if you can BS a story to see this Chow, and have the want to try Jeff- I say, go for it. That poor girl looked so matted and forelorn.
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chooseachinesedog »

Tibetan Kennels
Pomona, California
909-623-CHOW
rescue@chowdog.com

Isn't this a closer org than Joan or the atascadero people?
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff.. are you going over there?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

chris wrote:Jeff.. are you going over there?
I don't know where there is to go there, You guys act like LA is a one Wal-mart town, LA/Sylmar is a big place there's at least 20 wal-marts between her and me. I havn't heard any more from the lady.

I called Joan at LA Chows this morning to verify the story and left a message.

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff, thanks for calling Joan.

As with another craigslist "help... chow" cause, if the poster (Jennifer) doesn't update you, we do need to find a way to let it go (believe it or not). The bay area folks had to let go of a craigslist "help... chow" cause last year.

Personally, I do think Jennifer has tried to do what she can with her resources and style. I don't think she's a nut or weird. It's quite difficult for a chow to trust, we all know that.

Personally, I think the alleged "rich" chow napper/hoarder lady had a better plan to catch the chow. She definitely had the resources (personal network of nappers/hoarder or financial means) to get a vet or a vet *tech* or someone with the drugs and ability to catch and shoot up the chow to get to her neighborhood to do so. I have plenty of influence with my vet, but to ask them to come to my home to do a rescue, moreover drug an animal on the run... nope, that will be a "can't do it for you, Lou" moment.

We just have to wait to see what other info Jennifer can provide. I also think the reference to Joan at Adopt-a-chow LA might have been a totally unrelated lead. Meaning, it's just someone who called responding the Jennifer's craigslist ad. Not the actual nabbing incident that Jennifer witnessed and confronted.

Hopefully, the chow survived the night. At least we are all bringing her (Chucky) some good wishes and karma from all over. Hopefully her former owners that left her to fend for herself have a backed up septic tank or termites in their new place... bed bugs would be good too!
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

The dog's story is... a woman left her son and his dog last summer, then the son moved out of the home recently and left the dog.

Jennifer says she can see quite a few dogs at the chownapper's place - a roughly 2 acre piece of property. She suspects the lady is a hoarder due to the amount of dogs and her rather suspicious nature - not allowing Jennifer to see the dog at the property and her rash drugging of the dog. They claim to be holding the dog in a bathroom?!

The chownaper's org is called the Skippy Foundation - has anyone heard of it?

Joan sent Jennifer a list of kennels to board the dog and told her she should have called the police when she saw the people drugging the dog.

What is the next best thing to do here if Joan isn't taking action here?!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I may be as crazy as both woman but I don't see rich in any of this, If you look at the picture, below Chucky is gang graffiti on the street then if you look above Chucky you see a wrought iron gated house, In LA a wrought iron gated house and a gated community doesn't mean money it means security bars to keep the neighbors out of your yard so you can sleep at night with out getting robbed or killed, from what I can see from the picture this isn't the best of neighborhoods.

As for sedating Chucky, all well respected gangs know how to sedate to steal a dog for what ever reason. lady number one lives within walking distance from lady number two, lady number one says lady number two has a lot of dogs and thinks she is hording for profit.

To me Jennifer is thinking typical LA, you think the worse until you find out forsure what is going on, I'm probably thinking the same as Victory, this whole thing sounds like someone is up to no good at Chuckey's expense. If the lady tells me were she is I will just go over to see what's going on, if it is animal hording or has any sign of abuse and Chucky is in a dump then I will try to get the chow out of there or call animal control. Like the LA councilman just said LA has zero tolerance for Animal abuse and the parties involved will be prosecuted to the fullest.

Believe me there is no rich lady or rich community involved in any of this.

ImageImage
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

SKIPPY FOUNDATION
(c/o DR LELYS CAMPOS PRES) 11549 KAGEL CANYON ST Charitable Organization
( Animal Protection and Welfare) * * * 05/1997

Well, it can be googled.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Fine. Cross off my "rich" remarks. Just be careful when you go over there. That's the city/area that Rodney King was assaulted by the police back in the '90's. Also, the "graffiti" on the street... looks more like DWP markings. Perhaps a sink hole has formed there, check out the wishbone fracture on the side walk. My neighbor across the street had similiar markings on their driveway DWP painted on when a sink hole was found there.

My final comments on this, Joan has nothing to do with all of it except as a "consultant". It's Jennifer who has to call the police or animal authorities regarding what she witnessed and what her suspicions are. I wrote that on the top of the page. If Jeff is able to gather a similiar experience when or if he is able to take a look, then better for the chow.

Good luck.
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

cheriekynb wrote:SKIPPY FOUNDATION

Well, it can be googled.
I found this too:

Dated March 1, 2005

Former Public Charities. The following organizations (which have been treated as organizations that are not private foundations described in section 509(a) of the Code) are now classified as private foundations:

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2005-12_IRB/ar17.html
(see Skippy Foundation in list towards bottom)

Lake View Terrace, CA (nearish to Sylmar)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... =addr&om=1
Last edited by SWANCIN on Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

cheriekynb wrote:SKIPPY FOUNDATION

Well, it can be googled.
Is there a phone number? all I am getting is Skippy the kangaroo and he doesn't know any thing about a Chow, he's just trying to get back to Australia.

ImageImage
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Call it a bias, but i think its odd that Adopt A Chow is not interested in helping with this animal in any capacity...
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Campos, Lelys
11549 Kagel Canyon St
Sylmar, CA 91342-7240
(818) 899-9872
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Jennifer just called me, The problem is now if the lady thinks there is anything suspicious going on Jennifer is concerned lady number two will get rid of the Chow. I told her I think the best thing to do is get animal control involved to check the place out before she has time to dump the chow but LA animal control won't do anything unless you go in and file a complaint. Jennifer can see the yard and dogs running all over but hasn't seen the Chow. Lady number two has had some of her dogs escape so you know that Chow will leave in a second if it can find its way out.

The morale of the story is, if I or someone else goes there and she doesn't release the Chow she may dump it and we never know what happed to it, Any advice?

ImageImage
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Does anyone who has been in contact with Jennifer (the original Craig's List poster...right?) know if Jennifer has an contact info for Lady#2 (phone number, email add., or even physical add) or does she just know where she lives because they are in the same neighborhood?

I would think if Jennifer had some kind of contact information, someone could contact her, even as a potential owner to at least get some more information. Lady#2 may be less agitated by talking to someone just responding to the Craig's list post to adopt the chow.

If Jennifer doesn't have any contact info for her, I wonder is she would be able to get Lady#2 someone's contact info. Just to give it to her and let her know "...someone was interested in adopting the chow from the Craig's list post...here is there info if you could contact them about her." I am not much help in Ohio, but I would even be willing to email back and forth with Lady#2 (whether she is crazy or not) to at least find out more info and make sure this girl does not end up in a bad situation.

I really don't have any other suggestions right now...
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

She wants someone to take the Chow that will let it be inside. Do you have room for this chow long enough to get it to a safe place? Convince the lady to let you take it to live with you? I'm sure she'll charge money for it, but oh well, at least it would be safe.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Ok I just talked to Jennifer, she talked to the lady. Jennifer can go see the Chow anytime before 9 am. Jennifer said the lady seemed ok on the phone, she just wants to check on the Chow, if the chow is ok then we can try and get the Chow adopted. Jennifer wants everyone to back off from going by or calling anyone until she can get in the house to see if the Chow is ok, she will call me in the morning.

Jennifer just found out from some neighbors Apparently this Chow has been living on the street in the same neighborhood for over a year, the original owners left the Chow so its been on its own surviving.

ImageImage
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

I think it is worse that you are saying my brain is not in the right place. There is something wrong with you for saying that. I went down there every morning and night to give her fresh food and water. I sat with her for hours on some days trying to gain her trust. I tried to catch her without tranquilizing her. I lured her into the yard she sat in front of with food and when she when in I planned on shutting the fence to trap her in the yard. Well she bolted, pushed her way through the fence when I almost had it shut. After that, she knew I was trying to catch her and would run when I drove up to feed her. So, I decided to bring my father down with our dog to see how she reacted. I stayed in the car and she obviously trusted men more than women. I figured maybe her previous owner was a man. After a couple of days he could get about five feet from her. We were going to catch her that way, by putting the type of leash that loops around her neck and then tightens. Not with Acepromazine, I didn't feel comfortable doing that without a veterinarian being involved. Now I don't know you but I would say that you are the one who doesn't have your brain in the right place.
nuke wrote:Here are my thoughts:

The first lady, who had been feeding the dog for a month did not do anything to get the dog off the street and to safety. Sure, her heart is in the right place, but her brains are not.

The lady who tranquilized the dog got the dog into a home in less than 3 days from finding out about it. Which is worse?