Chow with Diarrhea

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

anita_robins
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow with Diarrhea

Post by anita_robins »

Hey guys, long time no talk.

Well, just had a question for all of you guys, Chico has suddenly come down with diarrhea, started at 4:00 a.m. and has continued all day, the gross thing is he feels so ashamed by it, he tries to "clean it up" which in turn makes him throw up...

I walk him and he seems fine, even gives a few rolls in the snow, but in the house, he sulks around with his tail down, looking mighty ashamed..

Any suggestions on home remedies to try would be most welcomed.. or if anyone has experienced any thing similar

Thanks Anita and Chico
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Anita!

We missed you! How's the new family... and how is your little boy getting along with Chico. My grandniece is the same age as your little boy and when she comes to visit, she is mezmerized at PB & Z. I had to watch her for a few days and when she was sleeping in her pack'n play, the two would fall asleep right next to the pack'n play... especially Pooh Bear. I think her mommy instincts kick in from time to time.

Back to Chico, Zhu got diarrhea when he ate something that didn't settle well. I took him to the vet because it was tiring, concerning, messy and lasted longer than I felt comfortable. He prescribed a little Pepto Bismol liquid (the pink stuff). Don't give him the pills. But you might want to give your vet a call because my vet gave me an eyedropper to use for dosage. Zhu didn't like it much but it worked. He too was extremely ashamed. But he never tried to clean it up.

Nice to hear from you!

Purple x's,
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Hi, Anita

Pekoe just had Diarrhea it lasted about aday but didn't seem to brother her, Give it aday, make sure he drinks plenty of water, if there is any blood in it get to the vet. Watch the table scraps and junk foods. If you just changed his food from dry to wet that will do it to. If he still has Diarrhea tomorrow you might want to see a vet.
anita_robins
Rank 0
Rank 0

Here we go again

Post by anita_robins »

Hey Lou and Jeff, No didn't change his food, he dosen't like people food, and dosen't eat dog biscuts... that is why I was so puzzled.. I finally got frantic last nght and started surfing the web, and found that you should give pepto bismal for this sort of thing, as long as there is no blood in the stool, bloating, or if the dog is otherwise lethargic... so off I went at 11:30 last night to a shoppers drugmart to get the gross pink stuff, worked almost instantly..(that or he was completly empty)... the dose on the web says to give him double the adult dosage but I was not comfortable with taht so gave him 1 Tablespoon at 12, then another at 2 and again this morning just to be safe... SO FINGERS CROSSED..

As for my little guy, he is wonderful, and Chico sleeps beside/underneath his crib at night, and when he is in his jolly jumper thingy, chico is under his feet.. In fact where ever Hayden is Chico is not far behind.

I miss you guys, you are always so helpful, just been so busy with the little guy and now we are moving to a new LARGER house... so just imagine the things I will have to deal with with CHico again, the last move almost killed all of us, with his puking and deficating .... but maybe he will love his new backyard which is triple the size we have now, and three stories, to roam, and his daddy has even designated a room just for him...

Hope all your chows are well, and have a safe and happy holiday...

Anita and Chico