Fishy smell from our new girl

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Fishy smell from our new girl

Post by Mandy »

Hi All

Need some advice. Ceyanne, our new girl of 5 yrs, started eminating a fishy smell from her backside. I looked online and the best I could come up with was *Censored Word* glands but we checked them and everything seems fine. So now we are thinking it's coming from her "girl parts." She was fixed last month around this time and we have only had her for about 3 weeks. We cleaned her up and groomed her bottom but we can't tell if that helped. Any advice or thoughts as to what it might be? I'm going to be taking her to the vet this week to get microchipped and will be calling her previous owner tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Mandy & Ceyanne
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

It could be vaginitis. When you take her to the vet, ask them to check her out. If it is, she will be needing antibiotics.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Thanks! I will have her checked when we go in!

Mandy
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Just in case you are reading this because you are having this problem with your dog... I thought I put an update in here.

It was her *Censored Word* glands. Apparently with all the stress of moving into our home this month, they filled up faster than normal and she was not able to express them. Vet says she's fine now.

Her first appt at the vet went well. She was a little scared but had no problem letting the vet poke around on her and no issues with the vet looking at her teeth. yippee!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Excellent on all counts! :)

Chow Chows seem able to clamp their beautiful mouths tight shut, don't they - and they have the look in their eye that defies you to look!! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Glad to hear it was just *Censored Word* glands! They smell awful, but at least it's easily remedied! :shock:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart