Question????

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Question????

Post by vicster605 »

I'm a first timer, so have been patiently waiting for the seasonal blow out with great anticapation sp :lol: :lol:
I have been seeing posts from our much more Northern friends about their babies shedding and hair flying......wondering why Kearra hasn't started shedding yet and I'm way down South......... :lol:
Someone should slap me for even thinking it :lol: :lol: OK so Hair is Flying, I'm brushing and it just keeps coming :lol: :lol:
I can't wait to see Kearra's grown up coat.....all black, silky and shiney.....I know KEEP BRUSHIN' :lol: :lol:

Question: Has or does anyone take their fur babies to the groomer to JUST get blown???? I asked the groomer if they do that and she said she would charge me $10.....not bad??
Do you think it will help, once a week or so while shedding???? Haven't seen anyone talk about it, so I was just wondering......
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I haven't taken Special to the groomer to get brushed, so I don't know. I love brushing him myself too much :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I posted it a few times but with Pekoe's groomer it was all blower, No razor or scissors. It looked weird when she was doing it, all that dead hair was coming off like a thick blanket, it looked like you could just peel it off. Now that i've seen it done no more shaving, all blower from now on.

Oh and by the way if your going to use a blower wear one of those cheap breathing mask, I felt like we were working in an Asbestos factory. Yours probably won't be as bad as Pekoe's coat was.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I was thinkin' if I brush Kearra everyday and took her to the groomer for them to blow her out every week or 2 that it would cut way down on all the fall out everywhere. It really does get way down deep and get the loose hair out......I love brushing Kearra too but it gets out of control......

Jeff does Pekoe hate the blower??? Maybe that would be how you could keep her groomed......if she doesn't mind it, or maybe you can get her used to it and invest......just a thought
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Are you just using a pin brush for her? Get an undercoat rake for long haird dogs from the pet store, use it, like a pick, and comb the whole coat backwards with short strokes, you'll get tons of hair that way, then use the brush to brush the same way and you'll get more, then use the comb to comb the hair the right direction in small, 1/4 inch sections. You'll get a lot more hair and you'll get a good upper body workout too!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Thanks Victory, all I've been using is a rake, first one way then the other........I probably should get a pin brush and a comb too....When your a newby you tend to learn everything on your own, the groomer told me all I needed was a rake........... :lol: