Bama Burgers! (Recipe -raw)

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Meryln,
I really do appreciate your input. You obviously are current on the latest studies on nutrition.
My education in nutrition was many years ago, so I am certainly open to hear all of the latest and greatest.
I will be tuning into to the website you have posted for the vet supported raw diets.
A source you may find helpful is the Price-Pottinger Foundation. You are probably already familiar with it.
Thanks again and your posts are very welcome.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Sick, children, and elderly. More of a risk with children than with the other two groups. If their toys or dirt or something happens to go over an area that a dog elimates in that has the bactieria.
Yes, and that's why it's SO important to do timley latrine duty and pick up after our dogs. These diseases are present in dog feces, cat/raccoon and other animals, including humans who don't wash their hands after they go to the bathroom. It's not limited to dogs, and it is certainly not limited to dogs who eat raw food. Kibble dogs' feces sport e-coli, salmonella and a few other undesirable bacteria too.

Cheers
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I did Bama's recipe this afternoon. I don't have all the nutrients together yet, I will buy them and add seperately. This stuff tastes pretty good. I had large spoonful 4 hours ago and no tummy/belly problems as yet. I am the gunea pig. I didn't care for the tiny pieces of eggshell, otherwise it was o.k.

The chow loved it too, the cats won't touch it.

Karin
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Make sure you tell us how it all goes. I was gonna try it this weekend and see how Ivana likes it opposed to her normal fresh foods. I am gonna cook mine to the min temp for at least 15 sec. but other than that I want to keep it the same. So let us know so I get a heads up on any changes like if they love it.

That and Chris' meatloaf.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

This is my first attempt of putting a raw meal together. I will need to get a book on dog nutrition. Homeburgers will be served in the morning and I will leave a cup of kibble out for the day. I mixed up the batch and froze it in muffin pans. Once frozen I turned the tray upside down and let hot water run over the bottom of the pan to losen the burgers. I then bagged them.

Someone here mentioned if you cook it, don't add the fish oil, the heat will transform it into transfat.

Karin

Photos of the raw batch of dog food

ImageImage
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

If your doggie is on a calorie restricted diet, I would omit the safflower oil in the recipe.

Bama
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

None of us are on a calorie restricted diet. I do omit some of the ingredients. Less fish oil in the summer for instance. I use olive oil, cold pressed. Mikki chow has gained 3 pounds since Oct. when she joined us. I rotate the raw with the cooked burgers. Once a week I give my chow the cat burgers, that were cooked and frozen. She had very little muscle when I first got her. I would guess the weight she gained is muscle weight. We go for long walks.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Karin, understanding why we give our chows certain foods is paramount. You should never take away the fish oil because it contains desperately' needed Omega 3 & 6.

Omega is a required nutritional component to any dog's diet.

Olive oil on the other hand contains fat and only fat, (for dogs) . It is actually inappropriate to serve it because they can't even digest it. Same is true for Safflower oil.

Cheers
MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

sit_by_the_beach wrote:This is my first attempt of putting a raw Bam meal together. I will need to get a book on dog nutrition. Homeburgers will be served in the morning and I will leave a cup of kibble out for the day. I mixed up the batch and froze it in muffin pans. Once frozen I turned the tray upside down and let hot water run over the bottom of the pan to losen the burgers. I then bagged them.

Someone here mentioned if you cook it, don't add the fish oil, the heat will transform it into transfat.

Karin

Photos of the raw batch of dog food

<<<<It was me who said, if you feel you must cook the meat, do it prior to adding the rest of the ingredients, expecially the herbs and oils. Heat will destroy the nutritien content, plus turn the oil into a trans-fat.>>>>

))http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=7815860

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=7600197

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=5715753 http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=7815860

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=7600197

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=5715753

**great idea on the muffin tins! I believe I'll try that on myself!! You taught me something new!!!

ImageImage
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bama, when I first made the raw burgers, I used cookie sheets, placed the cookie sheets in the freezer. My son didn't know -- he threw bags of frozen corn on top. What a mess.
I now use muffin pans, stack them, once the raw burgers are frozen, I bag them, I made a month supply.

MM---I don't add olive oil to the dog's food. I used one teaspoon of olive oil to fry the burgers for the cats. I called them catburgers. The cats didn't like them. I fed them to my chow rather than throw them out. It was a mix of giblets, hearts and brown rice.

The chow gets enough fish oil. I feed Mikki sardines, smelts, mackerel and whatever fish I eat twice a week. The end of this month Mikki will get fresh caught fish from the lake. I like fishing.

b.t.w. I gave my chow one 1/2 raw chicken, Mikki tore at the skin a bit, ate part of a leg. Gave her the remainder 6 hours later, she didn't finish it, I ended up throwing it in the garbage. I woke up in the middle of the night watching my chow regurgitate and throw up. I tried a week later, same thing. Some dogs are not meant to eat bones and all. The chow didn't bother with the chicken head, the cats ate that, no problem. The cats loved to play with the chicken feet, gross, aren't they?

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Some dogs are not meant to eat bones and all.
Sorry Karin, no zoologist or biologist would agree with that comment. Tossing up their cookies after ingesting is simply a sign that their intestinal flora isn't up to par. That's all it is.

I run a rescue center here and we get dogs from all over North America, they arrive in varying stages of health or non-health and all of them are instantly, from the day they arrive put on a raw diet. I can't think of one instance where they didn't profit almost instantaneously. We even have some here with rotted out jaws, missing teeth and throat injuries from the inner workings of puppy mills, and they all manage to eat raw.

The only time we've had to grind food was for the ones with missing parts of their jaws. (and of course that's more than understandable)... the ones with only 2 or 3 teeth, will still pull and rip at a piece of meat if we give it to them, they'll chew on bones, we realize they can't ingest the bones, so we do supplement with bonemeal, but that's about it.

If you've found a way to feed your dogs that you're happy with, great!

Cheers
MM
Better Yet ! Adopt!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

My previous chow would probably have eaten two chickens if I had let her. Luna did not like beef lung and hearts, she ate fresh pig's ears.
Mikki won't eat the raw pig's snout neither does she like fresh pig's ears. But Mikki did eat pigs' uteri and pigs' scrotum which I bought for 50c/lbs. Luna did not like raw, fresh fish, Mikki does.If I'd buy Mikki milk fed calves steak, she'll eat that, but at $20/lbs........that's a bit dear.
Unlike her predecessor Luna, Mikki does not have skin/coat problems. No itching, shiny healthy looking coat. I must be doing something right.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI