WHOA!!!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

WHOA!!!!

Post by Princess »

UM... I think I brushed gabbana away.......
This must be a really stupid question BUT is this normal.. Is that what it looks like when they blow their coat or is it too early in the season, does it get worse!??? All of that came out from her shoulder area.. I just kept brushing and it kept coming out :shock: ...
I should start saving her fluff and make a really warm sweater.. I wonder if you can actually do that...
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

LOL looks like you adopted another dog there! Yes, it's normal. Try getting a fairly fine-toothed comb to really get in there and get it all out. My girls will tolerate the brushing but the comb only for a little bit. Have fun!

Know what I do with my dog fur? I put it outside for the birds to make their nests. It's fun to watch the birds gather the fur. Once when SashaRIP was sitting outside a bird actually creeped up to her and plucked some hair out of her tail! I laughed so hard and Sasha didn't even know what happened. :D
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Fine toothed comb... made a mental note! That was all pretty much from a rake and then with a slicker brush..

HAHAHAHA that's a funny bird story!!!!!!!! :lol: Poor Sasha, being plucked my birds...

Thank you
Olga
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL, yup Special has been blowing his coat for about a week now. When he saunters past me, I can see clumps of undercoat (I call them sheddies) just waiting to be plucked off. I only use a rake on him, no brush because I find it virtually ineffective. He likes it, he just lounges when I'm "raking" him and I think he feels better once the undercoat clumps are out. Gabbana's underocat seems a lot darker than Special's, I can't even describe what color Special's is.

You can make sweater's from the undercoat, there have been a few posst on this. There's even a place you can send the hair and have them make a sweater for you.

EuroSuzie, I like the nest idea, that's awesome.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:lol: yep - totally normal! when Mr.N's grooming session is done, it looks like it someone just took all the stuffing out of the couch! The groomer uses the slicker brush, rake, and comb.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chris

Post by chris »

:shock: Thats it? THATS ALL YOU GOT? sheesh.. next time I brush Steels "shoulder" I will take a picture for you guys... :lol:
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Hahahaha... I'm sure there would be more but she hates being groomed almost as much as being bather (even if i bribe with cheese and follow Lou's method), I have to hold her by the collar with one hand and attempt to brush with the other... My hand got tired and Gabs got angry so I had to quit hahahaha, but i've never had that much hair come out of her but it also is the first time i REALLY used the rake...

Ugh.. she has 2 bit mats behind her ears... i think i'm going to have to cut them out unless anyone has suggestions....

Thank god she's off to the groomers on the 11th...

I remember Auddymay picture of Pip but I though that Pip is just a lot bigger hahahaha... yes any pictures of hair that comes out of our chowdren will be appreciated!!!

Thanks alot everyone
Olga
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

Princess wrote:Hahahaha... I'm sure there would be more but she hates being groomed almost as much as being bather (even if i bribe with cheese and follow Lou's method), I have to hold her by the collar with one hand and attempt to brush with the other... My hand got tired and Gabs got angry so I had to quit hahahaha, but i've never had that much hair come out of her but it also is the first time i REALLY used the rake...

Ugh.. she has 2 bit mats behind her ears... i think i'm going to have to cut them out unless anyone has suggestions....
Don't worry, you aren't the only one! When I really need to get in there I just "attack" -- step over them so I am straddling them, start combing their head, then cradle their head in my one arm and COMB COMB COMB as fast as I can! I know that this is totally the wrong way but I've tried coming their sides and haunch area while they are resting and they hate it. So I just do what I can and try again the next day. I hate the stress of combing them and don't want them being stressed either! After I am done there are lots of hugs and kisses and treats!

I can see where it would be a great advantage to starting with a puppy, then you can start combing them early and get them used to it. I don't imagine that my two girls had much combing done to them. Same with SashaRIP.

Suzanne
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Sadly I have had her since she was a puppy... :wall: and she still doesn't like it... she has gotten better I will have to admit that though... Apparently she does great at the groomers as they say :twisted: it's just me that she gets all pouty with....hahaha I have tried the straddle manouvr several times, i usually get beat up like a paw in the face or just get bucked off hahahaha.. She's lucky that she's cute!!!

Olga
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Between Cheyenne and JR this past month...I have a brand new room size rug of back and red Chow hair....and they are still blowing fur like crazy!

Sharon
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OMG SOOO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TOO!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: