FREE, nutritional booster!

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

FREE, nutritional booster!

Post by bama »

Got Dandelions in your yard?
Your chowren will get a whopping nutritional boost from them! In fact, humans, dogs, and horses benefit greatly from Dandelion.
Dandelion is one of the most complete plant foods on earth.
It has twice the protein of spinach!
Other nutrients in Dandelion are vitamins C, K, D, and B=complex, iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, and many other trace minerals.
Dandelion is nutritively powerful, but yet it's very gentle on the liver and kidneys.

If you have Dandelions in your yard...don't contaminate them with herbicides, but rather harvest them!!!! You can eat them and your furkid can eat them. (If the Dandelion plant has ever been sprayed with herbicides, DO NOT use it)
All parts of the Dandelion are beneficial.
How to harvest:
LEAVES: The youngest most tender leaves are best, as the older leaves become tough.
Pick the young leaves after the dew has dried the leaves to prevent molding. Wash just prior to use. Store the remainder between sheets of paper for drying and latter use.
After drying, chop them up and store in frig.
USES:
Whole fresh leaves in veggie salads, teas and herbal medicine. Mix either fresh or dried Dandelion with your furkid's food.
**If you feed dry commercial dog food, you can add one teaspoon chopped dried Dandelion to 1/2 teaspoon of oil (flaxseed, fish oil, organic cold pressed safflower oil) and blend with dry dog food.

Another nutritive boost to dry dog food, ADD....
1 organic (hormone-free) egg (1/2 egg if under 30lbs)
1/2 teaspoon oil (one from the choices above)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Dandelion. (1 teaspoon for over 30 lbs)

Bama
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Hey Bama good advice, my chows love all the dandelions in the neighborhood. But you should have posted this in the new Food/Diet section.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Dandelion should not be used with certain health conditions. It can also interfere with the metabolism of certain meds, including some antibiotics, NSAIDS, etc.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Victory,

Yes, I should have posted here in the first place, my bad...
I wasn't thinking.

Bama