G-DAY for Pekoe, a big event.

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh I just love a challenge! I bet you I can groom, well brush, Pekoe for you! I'll be 15 minutes away from you at the end of March. Too bad my schedule is jam packed (I have finals in SoCal) or I would volunteer to swing up and pay you and Peks a visit.

You know, sounds like you're not brushing her correctly. Girl chows are very persnickity on how they like to be brushed. Take Milly and Mabel's daddy, Fred, for example. When I visited them, oh Milly was in agony when Fred was brushing her. She couldn't wait till he finished. I showed him what he was doing wrong and I think to date, all is well at the Fox's, and it is no longer Groom and Zoom!

Was the groomers angry you cancelled? You did post that they were going to close their shop specifically to tend to Pekoe all day.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Just a thought - the groomers probably were disappointed that Pekoe didn't keep her appointment. I'm sure they were all pysched about taking on a challenge :lol:
Mr. N's groomer has told me stories of some grooming challenges like the part wolf dog she did a while back...like I said before I was amazed she got her appointment book out after his first grooming...at Friday's appointment she was trying to figure out how we could schedule 2 appts before her baby's delivery date and how soon after she could do him after the baby is born!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Was the groomers angry you cancelled?

Nope, she was really nice about it, It sounded like she was relieved. I didn't mention it before but when I went in to make the Appointment she had just been bitten by a Chow 2 days earlier, The chow hit a vain on the inside of her arm, she said there was blood everywhere, she said she wasn't going to do anymore Chows but I had talked to her a few weeks before so she said she would try but Pekoe will be her last Chow.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Well, I just gave Lily a pretty good brushing. The whole time I was grooming her sides and breaches, I told her what a good girl she was, that SOME chow girls won't stand for it. She does have a sensitive area on the lower part of her sides (Causes her leg to thump- you know the place). She actually likes me to do her backside, and likes it best when the tangles are gone, and it's just smooth flowing strokes. I wish you could enjoy it with Peks, too.

Are you implying I'm a doper, Jeff? :arrow: perma~grin :biggergrin:
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

Auddymay wrote:I don't need to compare, I have awesome big clod hoppers.
Size 12 women's here! Bigger than THAT? :shock:
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

Lou wrote:
You know, sounds like you're not brushing her correctly. Girl chows are very persnickity on how they like to be brushed.
What is the correct way? I usually just get in there and do it and try not to pull too hard.

Suzanne
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You win, wooden shoes down! I only wear 10...Haley wears 11!
Bet you're a darn good klompen dancer.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

EuroSuzie wrote: What is the correct way? I usually just get in there and do it and try not to pull too hard. Suzanne
Backwards. And you part sections with one hand and brush with the other, when you part the section with that one hand while you brush with the other sorta make a sweeping motion with that hand. Did that make sense? Easier to teach in person.

Here's a picture to illustrate the parting and sweeping. I'm about to brush that section backwards (end to neck). This is a side version because she sorta fell asleep on me: (Model is Milly Ching Fox. I think. Then again, it might be Mabel Chang Fox.)

Now, not really sure if it is *the* correct way. But it is the way I get no complaints or runaways.
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Did that make sense?

Huh? with Pekoe it doesn't matter which way I go its still pulling her hair, I wonder if that No tangles spray would help. I can comb her top from head to tail but just touch her sides she snaps and runs, before she runs she looks at me like are you purposely trying to hurt me then runs.

Every time I accidentally bump into her or step on her she looks at me first, If I say opps,opps and pet her she knows it was an accident, if she looks at me and I forget to say opps,opps she's gone and won't come anywhere near me for hours.

Lou, just as I'm typing this the News is saying your having an earthquake.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. We did. Just a little one. Nothing exciting like the Loma Prieta. Happened a little before 9, I think. Felt like a 4. It was jolty and not the swaying one. Lasted a while, enough for me to stand up and walk towards a doorway then it stopped. I'll have to turn on the TV and see where the epicenter was... hopefully it wasn't where Karen, Shiloh and Mr. N live. They've gotten their shares of being the epicenter, that's for sure! The Hayward fault's been having little shakes lately. But today was the first time it's traveled toward my end of town so that's why I think it was a 4.

I don't think the no tangles spray will help. Gotta love, Peks. She rules! Does she let you touch her and pet her when she's sleeping and lying down sideways? Instead of head to tail, try brushing/combing her tail towards head and see if its more comfortable for her. If so, then maybe you'll be able to inch down slowly towards her sides but still tail towards head and don't brush/comb or pull down since you mentioned she's pretty matted.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They said it was 10 miles outside of SF, I forget in which direction they said, I think south but not sure.
I can touch Pekoe no matter what she is doing, God forbid anyone else, but pain is pain, anyone is going to react to hair being pulled no matter what they are doing.. I was checking for matts today she's really not that matted, I found two and cut them off.

ImageImage
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

Auddymay wrote:You win, wooden shoes down! I only wear 10...Haley wears 11!
Bet you're a darn good klompen dancer.
:P Believe it or not I do have some klompen but I hate wearing them, let alone to try and dance in :lol:
EuroSuzie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EuroSuzie »

Lou wrote:
EuroSuzie wrote: What is the correct way? I usually just get in there and do it and try not to pull too hard. Suzanne
Backwards. And you part sections with one hand and brush with the other, when you part the section with that one hand while you brush with the other sorta make a sweeping motion with that hand. Did that make sense? Easier to teach in person.
Oh ok, I try and do that because I know I get more hair when I do that. I guess Orah and Cheech are related to Pekoe because they do the same thing -- as soon as I touch their sides they HATE it! I just now tried to get their sides and the front of their haunches where the fur is really hanging down -- Orah just gave me The Look and Cheech barked -- she NEVER barks! :lol: I managed to get some out, tomorrow we will try again.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I wouldn't say it's a lovefest for Lily, she does lay nice, and lets me spin her and roll her from one side to the other. As soon as I release her she shakes all over, and gives me a dirty look. She totally cooperates, which is NOT a Lily trait. I lift her back legs ansd do the delicate inner thighs and she just lays nice. occasionally, she will pick her head up to see what the heck I'm doing, if I pull. I just gently push her head back down and give her a head rub- the one place she hates me to brush or comb is her head and upper mane. I really feel I am blessed. If I had Pekoe/Mr. N problems, she would probably look like a Puli.

Oh! And brushing in the wrong direction does get the loose hair out nicely.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

hmmm...a shaker around 9PM? didn't feel anything my way - but, of course, that was right about the time my two were going crazy over the latest rat catch that their Dad made...DH bought a humane rat trap ( :roll: ) so the little bugger was making alot of noise in the trap. DH releases the rodent elsewhere.

anyway, Mr. N will let me brush him but just not as thoroughly as the groomer plus he will go lie against the wall or step so that I am limited to brushing one side. Sometimes he will dose off while I brush him. I do have to chase him about to get the back end when he's got an unsightly "ornament". Mr. N doesn't like being groomed by the groomer.

Shiloh is a piece of cake when it comes to grooming - except for the tail - other than that I can brush her easily. She loves the belly part - she lays there on her back with a big smile. :lol:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My Luna chow hated vets. I also used to think, grooming, vets, all of this isn't worth a heart attack. The vet said she'd more likely get a heat stroke.

Luna hated grooming. I did manage to get her to lie down, I'd wrestle her to lie on her side. Then I massaged her back, her tummy, by that time she was in a trance like state. Eyes were open, breathing seemed silent, shallow. Only then was I able to groom her. Then the phone or doorbell would ring, up jumped Luna. I had to go through the same routine again to get her to lie on her side. I used to shut off the phone, put a piece of cardboard on the door bell. No interruptions. I had a big tea pot beside me. This groom procedure took 3-4 hours. I usually picked a day when I'd be relaxed.

The new chow Mikki, loves grooming. Hates baths. Hates vets. The last vet visit was worse than the 10 years I went to the vet's with Luna. 35 pounds of her was held down by a very big muscular woman. I was afraid of her. My next dog will be a lapdog (just kiddin')

Bath time again for Mikki on Sunday. She stinks. I will give her a baby gravol 30 minutes before the bath. Hopefully it will work as a downer. Knowing my chowkid it may make her hyper. We'll see.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chris

Post by chris »

Did I miss something? Where is the picture of the proper grooming techh....?
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

My vet told me that Chows and other arctic dog breeds have very sensitive skin. He said rather than trying to use a rake, get a human brush - the plastic kind with the nylon bristles and 'air flow' back. Sit with her/him every night and just brush. Don't try to get at tough spots, tangles, or mats, just lightly use the brush. It gets loose hair out and at the same time get her used to being brushed.

After WW-III trying to brush Jazz with a rake, use a comb, a mat file, etc, No Way will a groomer work... I tried this. After only a few weeks, she now lets me comb her more sensitive places, including hind quarters and I'm working at the tail. Before I thought she'd take my hand off if I tried brushing those areas. I can even use a rake on the mane without her trying to eat the brush or my hand.

The 'human' brush will take a while to get through all the tangles on her feet, rump, belly, tail, but I'm hoping by the time she starts blowing her coat she will let me use the rake and get all the undercoat out.

Just something you might want to try.
~ Sally
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My new chow Mikki is not a problem, she likes to get groomed. She hates baths and hates the vet. The tail is a bit of a problem, but she eventually resigns herself to the fact that I won't give up so easily.

My previous chow Luna was a different story. After she had grown out of being a puppy she had never been touched by a human. She wouldn't let me pull out the burrs. She'd sit there like a cat and pull them out herself and spit them on the ground. During grooming, she'd lean against a wall, anything to stop me from grooming. When all done, I'd praise her what a pretty girl she was. She'd prance around, out on the street her head was held higher than normal. I think she was always happy wnen we were done.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

chris wrote:Did I miss something? Where is the picture of the proper grooming techh....?
I'm sorry. I'll put it back up tomorrow. I figured Jeff and Suzanne were finished viewing it.

Side note: the earthquake's epicenter was Lafayette. So Wolfie and Zoe and their mom must have felt it hard since that's their general vicinity. I was close it was a 4.2.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "with Pekoe it doesn't matter which way I go its still pulling her hair, I wonder if that No tangles spray would help."

Sunlight, etc., damages the smooth protein coating on each hair shaft, and the roughness causes the hairs to mesh with each other more easily, like velcro. I would use a spray-on, leave-in 'coat polish'. Those formulas smooth and seal the damaged hair shafts, and protect the fur from UV rays. The smooth finish makes it easier to untangle. It's also easier to groom if you always mist the coat before brushing.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I would use a spray-on, leave-in 'coat polish'

I guess that would be a Pet-smart/Petco Product?

Barbers spray your hair before they cut it maybe thats why they do it.

ImageImage