Shedding too much!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Teekapoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Shedding too much!!

Post by Teekapoo »

Hi ya..

Teeka's just about to have or having her 2nd season and also her fist big malt, she's losing hair so much that all around her sides her fur is so thin i can almost feel her skin.. Is this normal for a big malt or is having her season something to do with why she's losing so much fur?

Also how long will it go on for and how long till her coat comes back all thick and lovely? poor girl looks really shaggy...

Anyone??

Thank you
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hmm, I know Special's fure is considerably thinner when he's not wearing his winter coat, but if I remember correctly, it's never as thin that I can almost feel his skin. I'll be interested to see what the others have to say. Oh, btw, Special is also shedding right now, his thighs are a mess!!! I can pull clumps off just as he goes by, he gets annoyed but he lets me do it! :D I also had to do his tushy this morning. :roll: He was reluctant, but then slept through the whole thing! :D
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Here's how bad Gracie looked with her first couple of sheds.
Last Summer. You cant really tell by the picture but because she had shedded in parts, the fur was thin and I could see her skin through it.
1st summer. Same thing, could see skin through the fur.
And another one from last summer.

It seemed so thin where she had shedded, could see right through to her skin. So far this shed isnt as nasty looking. Hopefully they wont always look as bad as when she was younger.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

It's hard to say what's going on with your chow girl, but they can look very different while shedding. If it is extreme, such as coming off in what appears to be rows of hair unraveling, I would probably have her checked for a thyroid problem. Another cause of extreme shedding is not enough protein or not enough quality protein, this is exacaserbated when coming into season.

Good luck,
Bama
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I remember that look. Ivana looked like that after she had babies right near sheading time. I traded her food to nutro ultra and no problems since. It might not be the food, but Ivana has never looked as beautiful, shiny, fluffy, and with no digestion problems since trading. So I am gonna go with its the food.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Teekapoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teekapoo »

Thanks, i think she's just having a heavy shed then..

Does anyone elses chow's get fusy with their food? She seems to eat hers one day and play with it the next so not only is she losing hair she's also lost some weight.. I suppose that could be her season too eh?
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Oh, my yes. ALLOT of chows are fussy with food. Again until I got the nutro ultra getting her to eat was a struggle. She would eat one day and then it might be three more before she would eat again.

Then to add to it her stomache is so sensitive. Lots of things upset it.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Teekapoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teekapoo »

so would you recommend that i change her food? what is it that you use?
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Learn to read your labels on commercial dog food.
Many claim to be high in protein, but then shoe leather is high in protein, but it is a very very poor quality protein.
There are several archive threads concerning details of how to feed the best for your chow.
I would just remind folks to stay very far away from commercial dog food that contains corn.
As far as kibble is concerned, I prefer to feed Wellness Brand. It is more costly than many of the other brands, but then, because it is such a high quality protein without inert ingredients, my furkids don't have to eat as much to satisfy their nutritive requirements and appetites.

Good Luck,
Bama
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

solid gold
blue buffalo
canidae are the most used on this site as far as I can tell and of course I advocate for Nutro Ultra.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Teekapoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teekapoo »

Can you get those brands in the uk?

I currently feed her James wellbeloved which i am told is a good make, its one of the most pricey so i hope it a good make...
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

http://www.nutro.co.uk/

I could not find link for the other ones, but if you find a store near you they might carry the other ones.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!