Pekos is acting wierd?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Pekos is acting wierd?

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Has anyone ever accidentally hurt their Chow then after your Chow won't come anywhere near you?

Last night Pekoe was digging up the grass like she does every night, I went over to her and said quit digging in the grass and moved her a little bit with my leg not hard just kind of moved her, she yelped and ran and now won't come anywhere near me, she sleeps in the bedroom with me but last night she hid in the shower and wouldn't come out, today if I approach her she looks scared and will let me pet her and talk to her but she is really edgy and wants to get away. if I try to pull her to me she yelps then runs and hides. I took her for a walk and its like she wants to run away, if she wasn't on a leash she would run. I've moved her arms and paws and checked her all over for pain but no reaction, just wants to get away from everyone. I'm thinking about taking her to the vet but as we all know they won't be able to touch her. Any Idea what wrong with her. Is she just mad right now or do you think something is wrong.

She is sleeping in the corner right now but if I get up she jumps up, looks to see if I'm coming to her, then runs to find a place to hide or tries to get out the front door to run away. This all started when I moved her before that she was happy, playing and greeting everyone.

Post by Guest »

I would take her to the vets. You never know. My dog Kaia was just fine and when I was playing fetch with her she started yelping and limping and then it went away, I thought she just landed wrong. Then it started happening everyday after that first day, a few days into it, I took her into the vet and found out that she had severe luxating patellas(very bad knees), it just so happened that that one jump was the final straw for her. She had other problems as well(rare genetic defect called Pituitary Dwarfism) and sadly we had to have her put to sleep. :(
But you never know what might be wrong, I couldn't tell with Kaia either. Good Luck and keep us informed!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jeff,
This happened to me with Milly almost a month ago.
I did not post it on the site because it really upset me as I thought I had really hurt Milly - she bit me and I did not want to tell you all. :(
Briefly, what happened was on the Monday, Hector came to visit and as they were playing in the garden he ran straight at Milly and knocked her. We did not realise she had been hurt.
Anyway, for the next few days Fred and I were very busy in the front garden - for many hours each day - whilst Milly and Mabel were confined in the back garden. Milly was, we thought, sulking with us and this masked the fact that she was hurt.
Well, on the Thursday evening, we had finished our job and I was carrying a heavy edging through the back. I opened the side gate with my left hand and said "Excuse me girls!" They normally move immediately - Mabel did, Milly did but then changed her mind and tried to rush me. I stooped and grabbed her to stop her escaping as she would have run - she screamed in pain and bit my arm. :shock: At that point Fred rushed over to help me.
Anyway, after about half an hour of her dodging me and running and hiding from me, I telephoned the vet. I was broken hearted as I thought I had hurt her. We took her down to the vet who examined her and reassured me that I had not hurt her - rather I had hurt the hurt. :(
He asked had she been knocked and I remembered Hector banging into her at full speed.
The vet gave her a cortisone injection and another the following day. It took her about a week to really come back to me. She was fine with Fred. I treated her gently - I did not force myself on her and I spoke to her very quietly and gradually, as she got to feel better I suppose, she started to come to me.
But it was awful at the time Jeff, and I do feel for you. :)
So, I suppose my advice would be - take it gently - don't blame yourself - I did - treat her gently, just talk to her and gradually I am sure she will come round. Treats help! :)
A visit to the vet might help - but there again Pekoe and vets don't mix do they!! :D
Just keep talking to her and treating the situation, as best you can, as if it did not happen.
It is so horrid when it happens.

Purple kisses to her from M & M and keep a few for yourself. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Thanks Judy and Chowlover, I really think its more emotional then anything causing pain, I have pulled and twisted everything on her with no reaction. I took her for a walk alittle while ago and she was fine, she walked right next to me and wasn't trying to get away, she ran up and down the hills chasing rabbits and acted like herself but as soon as we got close to the house and tried to bring her in she started acting edgy again and avoiding me, she doesn't run from me but she's acting nervous trying not to make any eye contact and more or less tolerating me wishing I would get away from her.

She is better today then last night she had me up all night trying to figure out what is wrong with her, great scene Pekoe in the shower with her head pushed against the wall in the corner and me in there with her asking whats wrong Pekoe speak to me, it sounded like we were breaking up or something plus trying to get her to come out of the shower.
I will give it another day and see what happens but I can walk up to her now with out her running for the door.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan has been accidentally knocked by my husband. He avoided him for days, until finally, our obedience trainer told us what to do.

Erik sat on the couch with Rogan's favorite snacks. If Rogue wanted one, he had to see Erik to get it. He tried to persuade me that I wanted to give him his cheese :roll: to no avail. After a couple of hours, he was back to normal.

:? Only chows. :?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

awww, I can just see you now. That is how I would be with my dog, my husband would probably just laugh at me! lol Too bad you couldn't have a gotten a picture. She will get better, try not to make a big fuss over it, she may find she gets more attention being hurt then not and sometimes dogs can pretend to "be hurt" even when they are not.......man, dogs are way to smart! lol
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

thank you all for being brave and relating your stories! It is so nice to hear that most people with Chows seem to go through the same thing. Chewie always takes a day or so to like me again after I have taken him for any kind of boarding. Chows are amazing.

Mandy & Chewie
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

A few times when Mr. N has been naughty about going to bed and I have been stern and pointing my finger, he will pace the opposite side of the room with "that look" - the sideways glance. Then if I try to make amends (after he has gone to bed) with a treat he will put his nose up and turn his head away as if to say "that's not gonna work!" He will stay away from me until I say "Good night then" at which point he will reluctantly take his treat - as long as I am leaving the room, too.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe is fine now back to her normal self, I thought it was more her pride then anything physically wrong. I just left her alone so last night when walk time came she had to come to me. All day today she followed me around snorting and grounting like she was scolding me. I guess we all learned a lesson, A Chows pride overrides everything no matter how good they have it one wrong move and the Chow wants to pack up and leave. Unbelievable how spoiled these Chows are.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank goodness for that Jeff. As you say, how spoiled - however, with Milly she was hurt and I hurt her more.
I will never forget her scream, it was horrible.
Anyway, I hope now you are duly contrite and will continue to say "Excuse me Pekoe", and "Would you mind, Pekoe" etc. etc. :wink: :wink:
Glad things are back to normal!

Purple kisses to her from M & M.
p.siu@comcast.net
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by p.siu@comcast.net »

Hi

My chow didn't come to me for a week after he bit me and put 14 stitches on my face (see my earlier post - My chow decided not to be groomed anymore / dog muzzle size). I think he knew he did something really bad then. During the whole week, I kinda ignored him completely, partly because it took me some time to regain trust in him. I guess after the week, he swallowed his pride and try following me (or keeping an eye on me?) initially; then progress to come sitting by side for a short time; and now I think he can't live without me (I think ...), but still won't let me groom him with a brush. I could do it with my hands though.

Patrick
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear, Patrick, that was sad. Anyway, just take care. :)
Jeff, Fred and I are again working in the front garden and will be for several days.
The incident I told you about the other day was when we had dug up the front hedge and done a lot with improving the paths, laying edging slabs and doing away with a long border.
Well, yesterday we brought home the wood etc. to build fences and a front gate.
Well, guess what, Milly and Mabel are sulking, again!! :x :x Today, wicked chow parents that we are, we worked out side for over six hours sawing, measuring, treating the wood and tomorrow will be as bad when we start assembling the fences. So for several days now, we will be building fences, alas, not with our relationship with M & M!! :lol:
Milly spent the entire time from lunch time until I called her for her dinner fast asleep on our bed and Mabel was with her in her own bed. Mabel did have the grace to answer my dinner call but Milly - No Way!! I had to go in and beg and plead! :(
What the little baggages don't know is that all this work is so that THEY can go in the front garden and watch the world go buy instead of catching a peek through the side gate and on through the front hedge. :?
I hope Miss M. Ching is ashamed of herself when she finally finds out!! :D
Spoilt Chow Chows or what! But we have already discussed that havn't we.

Hope you are continuing to treat Pekoe with the courtesy she deserves! :wink:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When you guys say your Chows wouldn't come to you does that mean they also went out of their way to avoid you? like running from you or hiding from you?
It wasn't so much the not coming to me that bothered me it was the look of fear and the running and hiding to get away from me and pushing her head in the corner when I approached her that was bad. but she seems fine now, still little edgy when I approach her but responding much better. at least she's not hiding in the shower or trying to run out the front door.
p.siu@comcast.net
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by p.siu@comcast.net »

Mine went away and hid from me. If I approached him, he would growl out of fear. If I got really close to his hiding place, he would even show his teeth.

Patrick
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes Jeff, Milly did try to hide from me and that is what hurt me. :? It was horrible. I can put up with her sulking with me and so on but hiding from me really was upsetting. :cry:
She is ok now though - she sulked with us yesterday and no doubt will today and tomorrow, but she does not hide from me now. :)