Several questions about AKC, nuetering, & canine semen b

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Several questions about AKC, nuetering, & canine semen b

Post by Samorrathis »

Need some help on making a few decisions. Nanuk our chow puppy is 6 1/2 months old. He is absolutly beautiful with a wonderful temperment! He is purebread with the possibilty of AKC papers. He is from back east and we live on the west coast. There are not many breaders in my area.

Well here's my delima... I would love to breed him before we get him nuetered, but as I said before no breeders in the area. For that matter havn't seen alot of purbreed chows in the area either. I would hold off on the nuetering but the vet said it would be better to do it sooner instead of later and it would also curb his marking his territory tedancies.

After doing some asking around I heard that there will be a show in myarea for the next month that has a canine semen bank. Do any of you know any more inforamtion about the cost?

I figure if it is costly then why go to the trouble of sending in my AKC papers if I am never to breed or show him. Besides that is there any other benifit to sending away for his papers besides getting his pedigree?

Post by Guest »

Where on the west coast do you live? I live in Washington State and know of a good breeder here. I do not know what there policy is on breeding though. Anyway, my suggestion would be, if you are not going to show him, you really shouldn't breed him. I believe you should only breed to better the breed and you cannot really know if your dog can better the breed standard unless you show and also until you get your dog health tested at 2 years old. I would NEVER reccomend breeding your dog before then. The dog can not be OFA certified until 2 years of age.
If breeding and showing are not super important to you, I would say get him fixed. There also os a good breeder in California but again, I do not know their practices on breeding.
As far as what benefit the AKC papers has, really none, unless you want to do something at one of the AKC sanctioned events or be a breeder.
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

Anyway, my suggestion would be, if you are not going to show him, you really shouldn't breed him. I believe you should only breed to better the breed and you cannot really know if your dog can better the breed standard unless you show and also until you get your dog health tested at 2 years old
so, your saying that if the dog isnt a champion its useless? kahn was a mistake and he is the best dog i have ever had. I dont get it... your saying no matter what the temperment is that if its not a "up to standard chow" dont breed it? and if its a mean, killer, baby eater (and i have heard chows called worse) but in perfect health and champion material, breed?
I understand if it has major health issues( bad hips or bad eyes) you may not want to breed but other than that its all personel decisions.
My suggestion is, if you love your dog and want one of HIS own chowlings, Breed him. Kahn has never been altered ( thats why i got in trouble, read puppies on way) and i have not had any problems with him marking his territory ( i take him everywhere i go) or any other health problems.
ok Sam, i see your problem as this... most breeders wont breed your male with thiers unless it is a champion and can better their litter.. (I.E. the all mighty $$$$$) So, if you want a litter you may have to go purchase a female. well, thats the problem i ran into with breeders around here.. since Kahn wasnt a champ and had ears folded noone would breed him, they just wanted to sell me one of thier chowlings.... and all i wanted was Kahns son. which is only 2 weeks away now.. 8) good luck no matter what you decision is.