Chow Mix Puppy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Momto3kids2dogs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Mix Puppy

Post by Momto3kids2dogs »

We have two dogs currently, a black lab mix we adopted as a pup and a golden lab that adopted us when we moved into our new home 1.5 years ago.

Our next door neighbors teenager brought home a chow mix pup about a month ago. (I think it is a chow/lab mix) This little darling spends much of it's time at our home. I am thrilled to see her socializing with our dogs (who are VERY good w/ her) as well as our children (and all the neighborhood children). She allows the kids to dress her. She'll romp w/ kids and dogs alike, but prefers our black lab, who plays incredibly well w/ her but has no problem putting her in her place. She ignores the cat, who ignores her in turn and is very interested in the hamster cages!

Being the animal lovers that my husband and I are....we're appalled at how little care this pup is actually getting from it's "owners." I've bathed her twice now as she was covered in fleas, a problem we don't have w/ our dogs and one I don't want. I do believe that these were her only baths. She doesn't know her name, has free run of the neighborhood and has had no training to speak of. (although our children are working on simple commands w/ her)

My husband is prepared to ask the neighbors if they truly want this dog - as we would take her in, in a heartbeat. I get the feeling this is a dog that they really don't want. Rather it was something that their teenager brought home and promptly forgot. I believe this family would be greatful and willing to give us the puppy. We feel like we could give her the love, training and care she needs and deserves.

That having been said - what can you tell me about Chows. I really don't know anything other than what I've read here.
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

almost sounds like you have adopted her... or should i say she has adopted you..
Chows are Chows. You can read all you want about them in books and this web site but you will never fully understand unless you take one in...
But this pup you are talking about is a mix soooo, your guess is a good as anyones here.
If it is chow and she takes to your family, the teenager neighbor may be in for a shock when he goes to scold or grab HIS dog.
Oh, in my state.. flea infested and unchained dogs are considered abused and owners get fined and lose dogs if repeat offender. Good luck.