What type of collar??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

What type of collar??

Post by Guest »

What type of collar will be best to use on my new puppy to help from ruining his coat? I have heard when I owned my pom that a rolled leather collar is best? Is that true? I want him to be used to a collar but I also don't want his collar to wreck his fur. Any help isGREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Rolled leather collar is the best.. :)
It doesn't ruin his coat.
So you've heard right. :D

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I thought so. Even though it is better for their fur, should he wear it all the time?
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I don't keep collars on Shiloh and Mr. Nahkohe. Mr. N groomer said it makes the coat mat up. My two are in a locked backyard so I am okay with them not having a collar on. But I haven't used a rolled leather collar either so maybe that won't mat the mane.
I use a harness when we go for a walk.

Karen
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

i use rolled Nylon, its stronger and wont dry rot...

Post by Guest »

Okay, I will look into that!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

I have a rolled leather as well but he never wears it in the house or the backyard. Keeps the neck fluffy!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't leave a collar on Pekoe either but I do use a flat leather collar with a 26' Retractable leash on walks.

I tried the rolled type but it seems to get tangled in her fur.
I also tried the harness, loved it but one day I pulled Pekoe away from an attacking German Sheppard, pulled to hard and bruised her ribs, You can't pull to hard with a harness. Can't pull to hard with a collar either.

I think Pekoe prefers the harness over the collar. With a harness the leash isn't in front of her face all the time on those slow walks where she's 26' behind me and she can react faster to Cats and gritters in her attack mode.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I use a rolled nylon collar on both my two and they wear them 24/7 365, (they collars have all their tags on them and I want them to have that protection no matter what). It doesn't cause matting at all, and these collars don't 'cut' their fur and leave it permantly worn down.

Sometimes Darkwind's collar will catch a bit on his fur, (when he's blowing his coat mostly) I groom there better and he's good to go. You have to watch these collars for getting tight fast though, especially when they are filling out, and all that fur is hiding the collar.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

Yes, i agree with Vic, my dogs are tagged with ALL tags.. its a 300 US dollars fine if they are caught without tags.. even if in the house... But i like the idea of them always being tagged and collared just incase they pull a hudini and escape.