help with housebreaking

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

akhat1
Rank 0
Rank 0

help with housebreaking

Post by akhat1 »

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has any advice on training my puppy to go outside. He is a chow mix and doesnt like going outside. I take him out after he eats within 10-20 min. then I tried longer and he still waits until we get back inside the house to go. This is all new to me. HELP!Image
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

What does he do when you go outside? Is the area a yard, or do you not have a place you can leave him by himself, either on a tether or a fenced area? If you are just standing and waiting for magic, he is probably bored and wondering why you are standing around. Try going for a short walk if you can't leave him. He will probably do better if he is given something to work on like walking on the leash. When he goes, praise him, praise him, praise him!
daryl168yang
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by daryl168yang »

Wow, for so long here on chow.org, this is my first time seeing a question on housbreaking.

Chows do well in housbreaking, indoors. But due to their intelligence, which overtakes and controls our emotions, they manipulate us to bring them outdoors for business.

Richie refused to poo when my father brought him out. Cuz, he had to go home each time he had finished pooing. So, he delayed until he happy then he poo. Then, I told my father to walk him after he pooed and bring him home if he didn't. And voila, he did it!
"Lion" Richie Rich "ET"
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Daryl that is so funny what you said because that is how Gracie is to this day! Since we took up regular walks, that is something I've noticed with Gracie, she waits until the very last minute to poop. I noticed this in WI, it was like she thought if she poops her walk would be over so she would hold it in until I finally decided were heading home. So one day as soon as she pooped, I shocked her and we just kept walking for awhile. If I did that, she'd poop to the beginning of our walks. Even still at times she'll do this to me, wait until I finally say "LAST CHANCE!". Then right as were turning to go home, she decides oh she better go. Now with me being a wimp with the cold air, I don't take her for her real long walks. She knows our routes. And I'll have this last min stuff with her until I suck it up and toss in different routes and keep walking even after she poops.

When I was training Princess, I kept her in my site at all times. She didnt have free run of the place. I'd take her out often. If she didnt go I'd wait 10 or 15 mins then back out we went. When she did go, I praised her and rewarded her with a treat. It didn't take long at all. With Gracie, it was spring, I just kept the door open and let the two go in and out on their own. I did very little really for the potty training.
scakat2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scakat2 »

My two, Lex and Lana, were very easy to house-break. I don't have a fenced yard but we do walk them and take them often. I have also taken treats with me outside and given them when they did their business. My Lana reminds me of the other ones that you write about. She does not want to come in - stubborn girl. Lex gets it done and is ready to come back in. And when we are walking them and they poop - watch out! And they are probably lighter in weight and totally wild and crazy and playful.
Also, the puppy training pads were very helpful.
Someone told me that Chows were very clean and didn't like to go where they live. These have been much easier than my Cocker Spaniel was who never fully got house broken.
chowchow41607
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow comming soon!

Post by chowchow41607 »

hi everyone! I'm going to be a chow owner in just a few weeks. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to get my house ready for my new puppy.What kind of brush do i use for their fur?any?How do i house break him? Please i need help! :shock:
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Hi, CC41607, welcome to the forum!

The house should be puppy-safe. Remember, they check everything with their mouth, just as a baby would. No loose wires, no pens & paper clips under the desk. You probably want to contain it in a safe area, preferably w/ tiled/laminate floors before it is safe to go on to the carpetted area.

Housebreaking is easy with lots of patience. Chows are the easiest of dogs to housetrain. Take him/her out when you get up, after you feed it, every couple of hours to start with. Use a command word "Do your business" or "Spend your pennies" or what ever you choose, if he/she does, praise and treat him/her. Don't be mean on the treats, if one can housebreak by bribing, that's cheaper than carpet cleaners & back ache. Do not scold him/her when the is a mishap in the house, if you catch it in the act, just make a distracting noise & lift it up & take it outside & praise if it finishes outside. Keep on using the command word, and he/she will learn to do so on command, more or less.

There is a good site by the Tanseks of Forestway Chows for a list of what you might need. http://www.forestwaychows.com/chowinfo.html

Good luck and keep us posted.

Leonora & mum
PS: There are lots of stuff in the archives. Use the Search function on the 2nd from left on top of the screen when you log on.... Best of Luck!!