The hair................

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

The hair................

Post by Fidel »

Ok, so Fidel used to look like he had a rough coat.....Now his back looks smooth and shiney and the rest of him looks rough........what is up with that??? I never noticed until I gave him a grooming this past weekend.
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

He is the same as Wolfie. The fur on his back is long and smooth, however it's usually just matted everywhere else. I have always wished that all his hair was like it is on his back.
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

How old is Wolfie? Fidel is 8 months old on the 24th, but he is so shiney smooth on his back......I wish all his hair was like that!
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Gabbana was all soft and squishy with her puppy fur, now she's 11 months and her back is rough and shiny and so are her legs and sides, but her mane remained soft and squishy :D !!!!!!
I think it's a growing up thing... sad to see hahahaha
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

Wolfie is a nine year old male blue chow. Your chow appears to be a black chow. I don't know if this is the same for every black chow, but the few that I have seen, their fur looked sleeker and smoother than the blue ones.
Fidel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidel »

Ah, I see. I can't wait for him to grow up! Fidel is going to be such a handsome boy! His tail is frosted and so is his hind end.

BTW, sorry about the missing 'h' in my signature,,,,,,
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

It depends on how long the outer guard hair is, if it's longer than the undercoat it will look long and smooth, if it's the same length as the undercoat they will look more fluffy and soft. Firesong has a very long top coat on her back, and the sides of her hips, so she looks smoother and shinier. Darkwind's undercoat and outer coat were the same length so he always looked more fluffy and softer. But believe me, when they blew their coats there wasn't much difference.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

I call that his cape. Nanuk has a noticable area on his back that is longer and smooth. I rather like it :D
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yes the cape...if your chow lays in the right position (legs out) it looks like part of the mane, at least it does on Lily.