help my chow chow drools water down his front

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jendon2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

help my chow chow drools water down his front

Post by jendon2000 »

i hope somebody can help me i have a chow chow who 's about 7 months
whenever he drinks water he drools it down his front and his front is always wet
even right after he's groomed ,once he drinks and gulps his wter its all over him and hes soaked. i have bought him a special bowl with a lid with a smaller hole on top. please help my grooming his front and throat only is addding up.. :shock:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I didn't know that a Chow drinking water was such a health problem, I don't think the water on your chows chin is drooling, my chow always has water on her chin and front after she drinks i don't think this can be solved. Try drinking a glass of water with just your tunque and see if you can drink with out getting your chin and neck wet.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Yes, the drippy mess I totally understand. Comes with the territory and is well worth the trade of love and laughter I get from my Chow Chow.

We do have a bit of a problem with Lai fu though... I purchased a set of hand towels just for her and mop up her face several times a day, but sometimes that is not enough. She has SO much extra skin and from being constantly wet, she sometimes gets a nasty smelling rash. Smells like an old dishrag. :shock: YUCK! and no fun for her either since it itches. :roll:

So, every few weeks, I take my clippers and give her a little haircut from chin to throat. I scissor the furr around this short spot so it blends in. It's so much easier this way to keep her dry and rash free.
Of course, if you have a show dog, don't do any clipping!

I also thoroughly brush her front at least once a week. That keeps the tangles away!
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Don't worry about water down your chow's front - Milly and Mabel always have water down their front when they have had a drink!

The problem is dodging them when I have something decent on. Their idea is to wipe their fronts and if I have a good pair of trousers on or a nice skirt - that is excellent - I have to dodge them and get their towel and wipe their front. Quite simple really but Mabel has a sense of humour and will chase me to try and wipe on me before I wipe her. :lol:

It is even worse when they have a drink of milk - imagine milk rubbed on a pair of black pants!! :roll:

So, I suggest you just keep a towel handy in the kitchen - on the floor is a good place - if M & M's towel has dropped down they will wipe their chins on it themselves!! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

Hehe, Kahn nick name in my parents house is Mr Gooee chin... and he too thinks its a game to take a drink ( actually rest his chin in bowl to soak up more) then runs to first person he can find and sets his chin in your lap.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well,there you go! Chows have a great sense of humour and they jolly well know what they are doing!

When Milly was a baby chowling, she used to go into the kitchen, pick up her water bowl, carry it into the middle of the kitchen slopping water all over the place then run up and down the kitchen and skid on her tummy in the water! :)

She knew exactly what she was doing and she also knew when I bought her a ruddy big heavy stone water bowl, what I was doing!! :lol:

Now, she hates to get her feet wet on the grass when it has been raining.

So, just try keep dodging Kahn! And the best of luck. :wink:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

oh, i do.... its a riot tho when i am with someone in one room and all the sudden you hear screams comming from another room with him usually chasing them outside.... for some reason he goes after the ladies.... hehe. i think its there higher pitched scream... And of course my mother gets mad at me and thinks i encourage him... i guess by laughing i do, but it is funny...
becca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by becca »

I have a female chow, and at one time I was watching a male chow for someone for a while..well my dog never has had that problem with her water, she stays dry and never even drips water on the floor..the male on the other hand, stayed wet all day long! he would drip water everywhere {and like someone else stated earlier,} he had a terrible smell from always being wet! :roll: my shepherd on the other hand is a total SLOB when it comes to drinking water!! she will drip it across the whole kitchen floor.... she dont care! ha.... :P
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

My boy is always wet from drinking water and like the others thinks its great fun to get you wet. If he's not setting his wet chin on you he's shaking his head and getting you soaked. Then you get that whats your problem look when you hollar. :lol:
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
bearlee36
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bearlee36 »

YES.......

its a chow thing, my chow thinks its a swimming pool i'm sure, cos he doesn't just get a drink he puts his head in and gulps without a care in the world about where the rest of the water goes so i'd get used to it if i were you, as for help grooming ha ha ha its one of them things you just gotta do if you want a tidy looking chow. :D

Its really funny when people come up and go awwww your dog is beautiful can I stroke him ? then you hear awwww he's lovely.......eeeeerrrrrrrrrr as they get to his front it makes me laugh every time, lol