Pekoe goes to the vet, run for the hills

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Pekoe goes to the vet, run for the hills

Post by Jeff&Peks »

We took Pekoe to the vet yesterday to have the lump on her tongue checked out, yeah right not a chance. We had to take her outside to put a muzzle on her, while trying to get the muzzle on she bite me twice and my wife three times, not serious bites but the, you better back off and get me out of here warning type bites, after finely getting the muzzle on her and everyone one in the vets office amazed by all this we brought her back into the vet. The vet suggested that he take her in the back with out us so I told him it won't work, he took her in the back returned 2 minutes later and said he couldn't do anything with out sedating her, he's never seen behavior like this.
He's not Pekoes regular vet, never been to him before the only reason I went to him is because he is a member of the same vet organization as Pekoes vet in Northern Ca, Vallejo.

The vet wrote out what he wants to give her (I can't read any of it so excuse the spelling) - Pre anesthetic given intravenously, arigink, buyprophine,acepronbre,ketamine, diafepam. maintenance anesthesia, isoflurane & Oxygen.

I am copying this off of the paper he gave me and can't read any of it so I'm sure the spelling of the drugs are all wrong.

The regulars in here already know about Pekoe and vets and my OCD with trusting them but if any one can make out what I copied from the vets recommendations and thinks this is ok or has any other recommendations let me know, other wise I'm thinking about driving up to SF(500 miles) and go to Pekoes regular vet.

We have had alot of discussions on sedations and chows through out the years so I know the isoflorine sounds ok.

Just to add, all this took place just to get a blood test, the tonque was going to be looked at after the blood test. Hate to think what would have happened if he tried to look at her tonque.
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

Ouch. I had to take Kahn in about 5 years ago for a broken tooth... i had to open mouth and he looked in with binoculors(spelling) from across the room.. lol. talking about taking precautions... But If i where in your shoes, i would take the drive if you think that old vet can get into Pekoes mouth with out sedating. I never trust sedation, But that is me.. its all going to boil down to what you trust. just my 2 cents... good luck...
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Jeff,
Oh My!!! I'm sorry you both are having such a rough time of getting Pekoe checked out.
I looked over my bill for Kodi's recent anesthesia, but it doesn't list the types that were given, just Anesthesia 51-75. I do think it's a very good idea to find web info of chow sensitivity to it so that they don't administer 'the usual' for his weight class, that is - if your vet will take any recommendations other than his own experience....

I did a google and got quite a few results shown from this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=[b ... +chow+chow[/b]

I think (I read it on this forum) that it needs to be less of a dose.
Best of luck, Jeff!!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:lol: even with your warning, the vet still tried Pekoe on her own? :lol:

I think you should fax the vet's note to the Vallejo vet. He should be able to tell you immediately if you should have any concerns. I'm still a miffed with Mr. N's vet banning him from the office unless he's sedated. Every now and then Mr. N will scratch at his ear and I'm thinking - where can I take you, Mr. N? I haven't tried to feel if there is a lump on Mr's tongue. He gets pretty irritated when I try to check his teeth.
I'm in a quandry about that. Does Pekoe have good teeth? Mr. N and Shiloh go into battle if I give them raw beef bones and they won't eat Greenies...rubber toys disappear and never to be seen again. I'm afraid he might need to go in for a dental if I don't find a way to clean his teeth.

Let us know how it goes for Pekoe and the vet and finding out about the lump.

Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

To Karen

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I haven't had Pekoes teeth checked but she will let me look at them, I give Pekoe a dental biscuit every morning, Nutro Natural Choice Tarter control biscuits, (blue box) Try those I've been giving them to Pekoe for years and so far havn't had any teeth problems atleast havn't seen any problems or complaints from Pekoe.

Pekoe won't eat greenies eather.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Jeff!

I am so sorry, but I chuckle away like mad when I read about Pekoe's sntics!! :lol:

I am sorry, I know I shouldn't and that it is serious and I am also sorry I have no advice or suggestions. I can just say, I hope you get it sorted! :)

Purple kisses to Pekoe from M & M. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

To Judy

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't worry about laughing, I know it's serious but you can't help but laugh. if you think that's bad you should see the looks I get when I'm trying to cover up my laughing as Pekoe is running around the vets office knocking everyone down trying to get out. You know me, Chows can do no wrong, Pekoe makes me laugh with her antics to. I'm sure the vets and assistants don't think its funny and are thinking you and your Chow should be locked away.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Did you get Pekoe's lump on her tongue checked? How is she doing?
Just wondering if you've had any luck about getting Pekoe groomed?
Mr. N's first visit with the groomer was pretty scary. :o I never saw him behave so aggressive. He had that wild eyed look and if he even got a glance at her he would snap and bark, etc. It was quite an experience for all 3 of us. The groomer's assistant didn't want anything to do with it. Now, he only barks a couple of times - mostly when he catches a glimpse of her. Maybe Pekoe would be okay with grooming after a few sessions - especially since she use to be groomed alot before you rescued her.
I also wanted to say thanks! about those Nutro Tarter control biscuits. Both Mr. N and Shiloh love them!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The vet I took Pekoe to is gone for 2 weeks but I called her vet in Vallejo (Dr Jackels) you talked to him once before, He doesn't think it is anything serious but I think we are just going to take a drive up north and take Pekeo to him.

As for grooming, not a chance, luckily Pekoe seems to not need that much grooming, just a few trimmings here and there. Pekoe did go to the groomers alot before we rescued her but my theory is once a Chow settles in with its owner they just don't want to be bothered by anyone or the Chow discovers that the new rescuers are a couple of wimps and the world revolves around them so they will decide if they need grooming or not.
diana chin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pekoe and vets

Post by diana chin »

Hi Jeff,
I've been a member here for several years with my best pal Bear who's a 9 year male. I love him to the depths! I check out the posts but have'nt written for some time.
Can you feel Pekoe's tongue lumps--is it firm or soft? What is the opinion of your Vellejo vet regarding this lump during your phone call? How long ago did you notice it? What is its general size-- a pinto bean size, a cherry, a grape? And has it been slowly growing, or rapidly? Has Pekoe been affected by the lump--is her behavior lethargic, tired, grumpy, eating painful, does she try to scratch at it?

Driving the 500 miles north to Vallejo may be your best answer. I suggest to thoroughly discuss this with the previous vet in Vallejo again. Your stay up north may be several days to a week. Ask how long x-rays and blood tests will take to turn around and receive the results. When the surgery could take place. I truly believe general anesthesia will be required--without that, if Pekoe moves at all, and I'm sure you can be sure she will--her safety will be at risk.
To answer two concerns, general anesthesia: My vet advised general when Bear had a potentially cancerous growth of 1/4" on the outer lower lid of his eye fourth months ago. The general was necessary, because he must not move. (I'm staunchly against general anesthesia if local is an option.) but I agreed when explained the reason. Bear's doing and looking great.

If you aren't planning to drive to Vallejo right away, please consider coming to Los Angeles--coastal section (Santa Monica--West LA/ where freeways 405 and 10 meet) that's where I live. I would introduce you to three vets (at least) who could work with Peoke. We have fine vets here. I'll give you the name and number of mine, whose reasonable priced, and pleasant staff. ValuVet in Westwood, CA You can even call him, explain the difficulties you are having and listen to what he says. I think a good vet realizes how emotional we are about our pets and will take alittle of his time to help us out. Refer to my name--Diana and Bear.

Of course you know in the best interest of your Pekoe, any canine pet, and us humans as well, the ideal is for our chow to first have the benefit of having ample time to become friends with their vet before become more intimate with one another--poking, prodding, shinging lights into orifices, injecting. hugs for your lovely Pekoe, as well as everyone participating here at chowchow.