The Gift of the Pipi

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

The Gift of the Pipi

Post by Auddymay »

Much like the gift of the Magi, the gift of the Pipi is a remarkable tale. When we actually had snow, Pip would spend all her time engrossed with 'something' she found in the front yard. I got up the courage to go look, (thinking I'd find some piece of decaying carcass). It was a big knuckle bone, maybe bovine, maybe not! There were also a couple lesser bones as well.

I put Pip and Lil in the house. Poor Lily, she does a full fact finding mission of Pip's mouth every time they are reunited. Pip has the freedom to go to all areas of the yard, and often, Lily can't even see where Pip goes. I went back out, and tried to toss the bones over the spiarea to my neighbor's yard :roll: but my throw fell short, and they landed at the base of the shrubs, still a bit of a distance away from the discovery site. At this point they were forgot about.

Fast forward to 10 days later. I am getting ready to leave, and of course the girls go with me. Lily is on her tether, but comes running when she sees we are leaving. Suddenly, she spits out the knuckle bone I thought I was rid of! Both jump in the car. Now, there is only one way Lily could have possibly gotten ahold of that bone...that's right- a gift from the Pip(i). I was touched! How sweet, during this season of sharing.

As with all good American tales, this one has an ugly greedy twist. The moral being, no good dead goes unpunished. When we returned home, Lily was on her lead, and Pip was free roaming, as usual. We walked past the bone, and Lily grabbed it up. You can bet that bone was NOT going to see my home's interior, so I gave the drop it command, which was promptly ignored. (Leave it does badly in this story, too.) I walked over, and forced Lily to open her jaws, and the bone fell out. Not only didn't she want to leave it, she growled at Pip who was nowhere near the bone, as to warn her off! This was the first REAL growl I have heard her use. Her aggression toward Pip didn't stop until Pip was obviously coming in the house with us.

How's that, give a gift and get your head bit off for the trouble? Well, Merry Christmas, scroogy Lil!