General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Chow cat like behavior

Post by Victory »

Darkwind, Firesong and I just finished moving to a new, (and larger) apartment Monday night, (actually 1am tuesday morning) It was amusing to watch them creep into the new place, just like a pair of cats. I've moved with cats before and generally they creep around for a while sniffing everything and finding out where everything is. But I've never really seen canines do this. It was just a reminder that Chows aren't like other dogs, they ARE CHOWS! I wonder if it goes back to their very old blood lines which have some hints of wolf behavior in them, especially the very instintictive pack behavior and the sort of aloofness, or shyness. Wolves are actually very shy by nature with humans...I wonder how many genes our Chows share with their wild cousins?

Just wondering....
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I hope you are all happy in your new home Victory. I was very amused to read your posting about them checking the new place out carefully and as you say, they certainly are not dogs but Chow Chows. :)

Purple kisses from Milly and Mabel. :) :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

One of the things I notice about Mr. N in the mornings is that he will do the stretch where he's shifted his weight to his back legs and front legs are fully extended. Then he shifts back up and does the paw kneading thing on the carpet just the same way my cats do. It's so funny to watch him lift one paw and then the other like he's kneading the carpet.
They both definitely do the cat-like thing of totally ignoring you when you're talking to them...only the slight turn of the ear towards my voice gives it away that they are actually listening. :lol:

Karen
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

..............and what about the walking through the sitting room and totally ignoring you, like you don't exist even though you have spoken to them!
:) :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Oh yeah. Or the look that says, "yes I know you are there, but I'm busy right now and really wish you find some other way to entertain yourself." Darkwind is a master of that one.

He's also the master of trying to walk on water not through it, just like a cat he takes a step then tries to dry that foot and then does it with the other three, all the time seeking the driest path. And of course he looks at me like it's all my fault that it's raining! :)
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, we have just this minute been through that one! :)
It is pouring with rain at the moment and M & M have just been out to spend a penny before we go to bed.
They tested the grass with one paw to see if it is wet and then grunted to each other about it, tried to find the driest route then came back and grunted and snorted past us into the kitchen. :x
Poor M & M to be landed with just failures as us!! :lol:
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

How about when you're wearing black pants and they can't seem to help rubbing their faces on your pant leg and then if that wasn't enough to trip you, how they seem to want to just stand there!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, had that! But the thing that can wind me up is when they pull down a clean tea towel and I find them rubbing their eyes on it. :)
Then they look so puzzled when I pick it up and put it in the washing machine! :lol:
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

I make afgans to cover up with in the winter, and my two think that I make them for them, they bunch them all up and rub their faces on them, and wonder about me getting upset, silly chows! :roll:
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

But surely if you are making anything, it is for them! Why else would I take a pile of nice clean towels into the bathroom! :)

Clean towels are much nicer to pull down and rub chow faces in than used ones, after all :lol: .

I mean, would you use a used towel?!!
Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy »

Talk about cat behavior! Avis' favorite toy is string. :lol: